Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,724,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wrong. MR has NOT called for an elimination of the carried interest provision. That is what makes Buffets' and Romneys' rates low..not mortgage interest, child deductions...carried interest.
maybe he hasn't singled out the carried interest provision, but he does want to close other tax loopholes. Were you watching the debate? The differences here are startling... The dems want to create a rich vs poor argument and apply it to "success" in America. The mentality is that there is only so much money out there for all to share. If the rich get richer then the poor get poorer.
The conservatives want all Americans to thrive and prosper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 01:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,074,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
maybe he hasn't singled out the carried interest provision, but he does want to close other tax loopholes.
How generous of him to only want other .001% folks to pay more??

Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,511,346 times
I have always been a Democrat, not because I believe I am entitled to anything, because I believe that everyone has the same rights. I believe we as a country, should do what we can to help eachother.
However, I tend to think w/my heart & my emotions, not this election though.
Not when I have watched many,many hardworking people, lose their jobs, not find jobs, having had our own challenges due toa e housing environment and the banks & government allowing people who bought homes they couldn't afford, just walk away from them, while we paid for 2 homes for 2 years and was not allowed to be given a modification because we paid our mortgage!!
Not when I have listened to the very people who received bailouts from our government, and had their jobs saved, claim they don't know what Obama has done for them??
Are you kidding me?
These people should be thankful for the current administration otherwise, they wouldn't have a job right now.

I have to think a little more selfish this election because we give & give, only to watch people take advantage and in some ways, yes, they are feeling entitled. My husband works just as hard as any other person out there and just because he makes 6 figures doesn't mean anyone else is entitled to that.
We are charitable people with both our time & and our $ .
We have done our share.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
How generous of him to only want other .001% folks to pay more??
If this is so important then why hasn't Obama and the dems tackled this? People act like Obama, Reid, & Pelosi are "middle class". Hey McFly... They are RICH!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I have always been a Democrat, not because I believe I am entitled to anything, because I believe that everyone has the same rights. I believe we as a country, should do what we can to help eachother.
However, I tend to think w/my heart & my emotions, not this election though.
Not when I have watched many,many hardworking people, lose their jobs, not find jobs, having had our own challenges due toa e housing environment and the banks & government allowing people who bought homes they couldn't afford, just walk away from them, while we paid for 2 homes for 2 years and was not allowed to be given a modification because we paid our mortgage!!
Not when I have listened to the very people who received bailouts from our government, and had their jobs saved, claim they don't know what Obama has done for them??
Are you kidding me?
These people should be thankful for the current administration otherwise, they wouldn't have a job right now.

I have to think a little more selfish this election because we give & give, only to watch people take advantage and in some ways, yes, they are feeling entitled. My husband works just as hard as any other person out there and just because he makes 6 figures doesn't mean anyone else is entitled to that.
We are charitable people with both our time & and our $ .
We have done our share.
It is like tough love. The dems want to give money for nothing. The conservatives want to give everyone an opportunity.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
If this is so important then why hasn't Obama and the dems tackled this? People act like Obama, Reid, & Pelosi are "middle class". Hey McFly... They are RICH!
I brought up that point already. Wall St has bought BOTH parties, and until WS is reigned in, America's decline will continue unabated. Sadly, no one running is interested in tackling Wall St. But it is up to the one who gained the most via this heinous tax rate to lead the charge to eliminate it. If he does that, he'll have lots of political capital to rein in entitlement spending with. Until he does that, much of his net worth is very much entitlement created, and even should he win, quite properly, he'll get no cooperation in reining in entitlement spending. If you look at rcp.com, who has predicted past elections well, it will be a nearly even Capitol Hill.Takes 60 votes in the Senate to get a cup of coffee, so if you want true progress, working across the aisle is job #1.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I brought up that point already. Wall St has bought BOTH parties, and until WS is reigned in, America's decline will continue unabated. Sadly, no one running is interested in tackling Wall St. But it is up to the one who gained the most via this heinous tax rate to lead the charge to eliminate it. If he does that, he'll have lots of political capital to rein in entitlement spending with. Until he does that, much of his net worth is very much entitlement created, and even should he win, quite properly, he'll get no cooperation in reining in entitlement spending. If you look at rcp.com, who has predicted past elections well, it will be a nearly even Capitol Hill.Takes 60 votes in the Senate to get a cup of coffee, so if you want true progress, working across the aisle is job #1.
I see your point, but I don't completely agree. The basic flaw is that this money is OUR money. The gov't should tax people a minimum. I think we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. here is a plan...
1. Cut wasteful spending in DC
2. Keep taxes low so that companies can start hiring
3. Lower Unemployment = less welfare needed, and also more revenue via more people paying taxes
4. Crack down on illegal immigration. This will force the cheap employers to hire legal workers. More legal workers = more tax revenue. AND, this (theoretically) will force people back to Mexico. Now I know it won't work perfectly, but it is worth a try.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I see your point, but I don't completely agree. The basic flaw is that this money is OUR money. The gov't should tax people a minimum. I think we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. here is a plan...
1. Cut wasteful spending in DC
2. Keep taxes low so that companies can start hiring

I agree, and if ALL income were taxed as ordinary income, while Romney would have 1 less yacht, ALL rates could be reduced, and it would be revenue neutral.

MR's income is at a 35% rate. This 20% cut he gets is coming from folks like you and me. Taxing it appropriately does not change the fact we have a spending problem, so I agree that must ALSO be tackled. Also is the key word, as if he wins, I doubt spending can be reined in, as long as a POTUS is getting preferential tax treatment.

PS, AS a religious man, he should consider his special tax rate IMMORAL, as well.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,333,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
You demand the government takes more and more from those other people over there, because they have more than you do.

Where does that come from?
That's Penis Envy and Breast-implant Envy. It probably comes from the fact that they didn't get the GI Joe doll with the Kung-Fu grip for Christmas one year.

Psychologically...

Mircea

Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,521,769 times
Quote:
This sounds good except you are missing some important info.
Where does the gov't spend all of its money? Do we really need to send billions to pakistan, the UN, Solyndra, etc? We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem!
Oh God no, I agree with you. I'd say we need to close every single overseas base and bring every troop back to these United States. Cut back on defense, cut the oil subsidies and the "clean" energy subsidies. Let the free market decide how we fix the energy problem. The government can mandate that a certain percenatge of our energy is domestically produced, its been done before and created jobs.

But the OP isn't talking about defense spending, they are talking about entitlement programs, like social security, medicare, food stamps, welfare, unemployment, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies