Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,382 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. A vast majority of Americans believe in the principle that celebrities should keep their mouths shut when it comes to politics. Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Neil Young, Eddie Vedder, and Kanye West were all crucified for criticizing President Bush during the Iraqi War. And let’s not forget the infamous Dixie Chicks.

So why wasn't Green Day condemned for the enormous success of American Idiot?

This so-called 'punk rock opera' contained a barrage of blatant GOP-bashing. Probably more blatant than most typical protest songs out there.

Just check out the lyrics to the song American Idiot:

Well maybe I'm the f****t America
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.

And check out the lyrics to another song, Holiday:

Sieg Heil to the president Gasman
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel towers
Who criticize your government

Despite all this, American Idiot went on to be a spectacular critical and commercial smash that made a gigantic impact on the music industry.

Can anyone tell me why Green Day was spared of any denouncement by the right-wing for their political views presented on American Idiot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Hey everyone. A vast majority of Americans believe in the principle that celebrities should keep their mouths shut when it comes to politics. Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Neil Young, Eddie Vedder, and Kanye West were all crucified for criticizing President Bush during the Iraqi War. And let’s not forget the infamous Dixie Chicks.

This so-called 'punk rock opera' contained a barrage of blatant GOP-bashing. Probably more blatant than most typical protest songs out there.

Despite all this, American Idiot went on to be a spectacular critical and commercial smash that made a gigantic impact on the music industry.

Can anyone tell me why Green Day was spared of any denouncement by the right-wing for their political views presented on American Idiot?
This old conservative has never heard of American Idiot. Maybe I would have said something if I had. I am quite sure I wouldn't be able to stay it from beginning to end from your examples of whatever it was.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This old conservative has never heard of American Idiot. Maybe I would have said something if I had. I am quite sure I wouldn't be able to stay it from beginning to end from your examples of whatever it was.
i've never heard of it either..

I guess it wasnt as successful as the OP had thought..

Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:

Punk rock has always been anti-establishment. It's par for the course. Country music fans are far more patriotic.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I'm a conservative and I liked the album. I'm intellectually strong enough to listen to anti-political-establishment music AND still hold onto my conservative values. Why should I bow to liberal ideals just to enjoy a good tune?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Nothing beats Method of Destruction's song Anally Inflicted Death Sentence (AIDS). Nothing in the mainstream can approach it with regards to shock value, in title or lyrics.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:19 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm a conservative and I liked the album. I'm intellectually strong enough to listen to anti-political-establishment music AND still hold onto my conservative values. Why should I bow to liberal ideals just to enjoy a good tune?
Then what's the difference between liking Green Day's music and the right-wing's reactions to Madonna, Bruce, etc.?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
I was listening to punk in the late 1970s. Isn't green Day more recent?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Then what's the difference between liking Green Day's music and the right-wing's reactions to Madonna, Bruce, etc.?
Green Day actually makes good music.. I also like The Offspring in the punk rock category..

And I was not aware of any "right wing reactions" to Madonna or Bruce. I certainly never had one...

Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Ok, looked 'em up. They did a song; "Boulevard of Broken Dreams." Pretty good song but I fail to see why a band's political leanings should have any influence on my politics. Do you make political decisions based on the opinions of entertainers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies