Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 AM

694 posts, read 750,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I don't feel "entitled" to share in the financial success of others, but it happens all the time. When my credit union is successful, they are able to make loans more readily, and generally at a lower interest rate, and they are able to pay more interest on money deposited there. When my local grocery store is financially successful, I benefit from paying lower prices via good sales, and also by being able to walk to the grocery store rather than driving to another, more distant store, thus saving me money in gas & vehicle wear and tear.
These examples are reasonable because the companies themselves in someway are doing them, the Gov't isn't stealing from other to give to you in the above examples.

Charles Sands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,415,707 times
Why do you feel entitled to share in someone else's financial success?

I'll make my own money, thank you.I just think the rich should pay their fair share of taxes and not be given loop holes or their money be given leeway to offshore hiding places.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM

89,890 posts, read 45,592,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
you pay 30% huh? I highly doubt that. Why dont you throw some real numbers out there like your income , deductions and what you payed in $ amounts for us all to see.
She gave her paycheck amount, but not her final tax return info. The two can be and are frequently completely different. That's why a full 30% of those eligible to file income taxes actually gets more money back FROM the government than they paid in income taxes throughout the year:
Quote:
"In summary, for tax year 2009, approximately 22 percent of all tax units, including filers and non filers, will have zero income tax liability, approximately 30% will receive a refundable credit, and approximately 49% will have a positive income tax liability."
http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

Note that only 49% actually PAY any federal income tax at all.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,790,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
You demand the government takes more and more from those other people over there, because they have more than you do.

Where does that come from?
From the fact that lost people aren't given the same opportunity and America runs off a buddy system fr the most part so if you don't know the right people your toast. Blame yourself and accept the change even if Romney wins he can't stop the people. If you don't like the new America leave and let us be at peace.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 AM

89,890 posts, read 45,592,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
From the fact that most people aren't given the same opportunity
Given? Opportunity isn't "given."

It's there ...recognized by some, but actualized by still fewer.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,772,336 times
hypothetical example.

if a person who makes a million dollars a year pays 200k in taxes and a person who makes 20k per year pays 2k in taxes, one person is paying 198k more than the other person for the same 'luxuries' that taxes provide. Imagine someone randomly knocking on your door saying "ok sir, hand me 198k, that's your tax bill" and then he walks to the next door neighbor and says "sir, your bill is 2k".

I know its somehow fair, but it doesnt SEEM fair, does it?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,938,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Who is demanding that?

We are running significant financial deficits. We have to cut spending, and spending that will largely effect the middle and lower class, much more then the upper class of individuals who don't use programs offered them by the government.

So, its deemed "fair" to raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans while everyone else is tightning their belts and having to suck it up and get less of what the government supplies.

In reality, taxes are going to have to go up on everyone, in order to not shurt the economy down, we need to prevent lower and middle income workers from being out to much money, because their demand is the economy.
Yes the anointed one deemed it fair. The rich do pay taxes, people in the middle pay taxes. The only people who don't are the obamaphone babies, the very people who have been soaking the system since the day they were born.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,959,943 times
Because the current generation have been brought up with the K-12 "Everyone is a winner".
You want to indoctrinate the population, then start in the schools with the youth. It's hard to change adults but easy to influence kids. Those kids are now adults.

NCLB lowered the bar so that "No Child was Left Behind" and promoted this equality and fairness.
Everybody passes the test. If not, you get 3-4 more chances. Everybody can go to college. Everybody can get a high paying job.

Do that for 15 years and what do you think you'll produce ?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,612,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post

I'll make my own money, thank you.I just think the rich should pay their fair share of taxes and not be given loop holes or their money be given leeway to offshore hiding places.
Mindless talking point. Those of us who are successful already pay a damn sight more than you do. How cavalier people are when talking about the fair share of "others". And it's funny how those same people already claim that they are already paying THEIR fair share, even if their fair share is zero.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,726,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post

Good. Romney wants to close those loopholes. Obama doesn't really talk about that. And, (more importantly) Obama has had four years to implement any tax reform. Interesting that these tax issues are coming to a head now that the election is days away. Was it not important in 2009? 2010? 2011? Apparently not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies