Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 PM

38,096 posts, read 22,246,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm surprised that he didn't claim that your pants are on fire.

In case they are - here is a cold beer. {}
I suggested that in a different post, but at least he isn't as insulting and off the hook as most of the more liberal types on the CD forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,395,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So what is your point? That only democrats and minorities lose birth certificates, or can't figure out how to get one?
Look up the definition of "poll tax"....

Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I suggested that in a different post, but at least he isn't as insulting and off the hook as most of the more liberal types on the CD forums.
And I'm used to people on the right making up things, too.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,949,404 times
:the sky is falling the sky is falling!!!!"

Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,057,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Demographically, yes, it would affect POOR people more than rich people.

Non-citizens have no interest in showing up to vote and thus invite speculation into their legal status,
It wouldn't have any direct adverse financial impact on individuals if ID production was funded with taxpayer money - instead of charging up front.

If a voter had a valid ID - then that should end speculation into their legal status right there.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are these people too poor ? If so they can't get any government services without an ID.

Did you know that you can register to vote online and not provide proof of citizenship and that registration is valid for life; the government never asks you to renew it...ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In Texas you can register online and only have to check a box saying "yes" to US Citizen.
Both posts are untrue. Here's the real deal:

Texas Voting

All voters who registered to vote in Texas must provide a Texas driver's license number or personal identification number issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety or the last four digits of your social security number. If you have not been issued any of these numbers, then you must state that fact on the application by checking the designated box.

What if I don't have a driver's license, personal identification number, OR a social security number? Can I still register to vote in Texas?
A voter who has not been issued a driver’s license or social security number may register to vote, but such voter must submit proof of identification when presenting himself/herself for voting or with his/her mail-in ballots, if voting by mail.
These voters’ names are flagged on the official voter registration list with the annotation of “ID.†The “ID†notation instructs the poll worker to request a proper form of identification from these voters when they present themselves for voting. Acceptable identification includes:

•a driver's license or personal identification card issued to the person by the Department of Public Safety or a similar document issued to the person by an agency of another state, regardless of whether the license or card has expired;
•a form of identification containing the person's photograph that establishes the person's identity;
•a birth certificate or other document confirming birth that is admissible in a court of law and establishes the person's identity;
•United States citizenship papers issued to the person;
•a United States passport issued to the person;
•official mail addressed to the person by name from a governmental entity;
•a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter; or
•any other form of identification prescribed by the Secretary of State.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Demographically, yes, it would affect POOR people more than rich people.
I grew up dirt poor, and lived below the poverty level my entire childhood. My mother had a driver's license, my brother and sister had one too, and i got my driver's license at 16, so don't start disparaging the poor now too.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I grew up dirt poor, and lived below the poverty level my entire childhood, mt mother had a driver's license, my brother and sister had one too, and i got my driver's license at 16, so don't start disparaging the poor now too.
I'm not disparaging the poor, and your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It wouldn't have any direct adverse financial impact on individuals if ID production was funded with taxpayer money - instead of charging up front.

If a voter had a valid ID - then that should end speculation into their legal status right there.
Birth certificate replacements are not free.

There are people, mostly older people, for whom this requirement would be a hardship because of transportation limitations.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
And I'm used to people on the right making up things, too.
I don't make stuff up. I never state anything i do not believe, unless I'm obviously just goofing around and being satirical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies