Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,515,182 times

Advertisements

I've been in a rather long, vicious and protracted argument with my best-friends girl-friend. At this point in the discussion, I don't feel safe in the same room with her, especially if there are sharp objects around. She's repeatedly called me a misogynist because I, as a man, think I have a valid opinion about what it's like to be a woman. I caller her a misandrist as a facetious response, and she mocked me and said "lol, Men's Equal Rights.!!!1!"

Considering we've been having this discussion for like, four straight days, I'm not going to bother laying out anything that happened, but I am curious about this.

Can a (wo)man hold a valid opinion about what it is like being a (wo)man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM

11,581 posts, read 13,996,251 times
4 days? You could have avoided all that if you would have simply told her to get back to the kitchen.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,600,483 times
No. If both sexes could do that, we wouldn't have so many marriage counselors and divorce lawyers.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,628,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Absolutely. Why re-invent the wheel? There's a mountain of wisdom in the literature and traditions of mankind from which to derive a valid opinion. Besides, men and women live with each other, talk with each other, observe each other, etc. - they just need to pay attention.

As an aside, the notion that "you can't have a valid opinion about XYZ unless you are XYZ, have been XYZ, have done XYZ or have personally experienced XYZ, etc." is a total canard. It's made by people who don't want to be understood because being understood deprives them of excuses. It's made by people who want to dismiss perfectly legitimate arguments on the basis of the messenger's supposed lack of credentials.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,327,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Absolutely. Why re-invent the wheel? There's a mountain of wisdom in the literature and traditions of mankind from which to derive a valid opinion. Besides, men and women live with each other, talk with each other, observe each other, etc. - they just need to pay attention.

As an aside, the notion that "you can't have a valid opinion about XYZ unless you are XYZ, have been XYZ, have done XYZ or have personally experienced XYZ, etc." is a total canard. It's made by people who don't want to be understood because being understood deprives them of excuses. It's made by people who want to dismiss perfectly legitimate arguments on the basis of the messenger's supposed lack of credentials.
Konraden, if you take this persons advice on women you will get slapped in the face.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to find the exact fallacy that represents, by the way--the best I could come up with is Ad Hominem, but I feel like it is its own sub-class.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,628,661 times
Quote:
I'm trying to find the exact fallacy that represents, by the way--the best I could come up with is Ad Hominem, but I feel like it is its own sub-class.
It's usually employed as a Red Herring.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
It's usually employed as a Red Herring.
Ad Hominem is a sub-class of Red Herrings (distraction from the actual issue). I guess that would make this disenfranchisement (best I could find) fallacy to be a sub-sub-class.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,145,315 times
Quote:
I've been in a rather long, vicious and protracted argument with my best-friends girl-friend. At this point in the discussion, I don't feel safe in the same room with her, especially if there are sharp objects around. She's repeatedly called me a misogynist because I, as a man, think I have a valid opinion about what it's like to be a woman. I caller her a misandrist as a facetious response, and she mocked me and said "lol, Men's Equal Rights.!!!1!"

Considering we've been having this discussion for like, four straight days, I'm not going to bother laying out anything that happened, but I am curious about this.

Yesserie, the whole world went to pot when the men gave the women the right to vote, go to school, wear shoes, learn to drive and work out side the kitchen. Maybe all those Muslums arn't so stupid after all.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Konraden, if you take this persons advice on women you will get slapped in the face.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
I don't think Western was offering advice on women, just input on the fallacy. And I normally disagree entirely with Western anyway, I think he's friggen nuts.

But he's right in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies