Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Haven't we been berated as a society and a culture from the American Heart Association to the American Cancer Society, you name it? We have been beat over the head. "We must get tested! We must get tested early. We must get tested early and often! We must, we must, we must! You must, you must, you must! It will save us money. We will find ways to treat cancers before they become deadly, and we will save money."

Now all of a sudden it's overrated? Does the timing of this make anybody suspicious? Here we are in the midst of a free fall in support Obama's health care plan, not just the public option, but everything that's in it. And part of this is, "Well, too many tests are going on out there." Obama is running around saying (summarized) "We have too many tests and doctors are amputating too many feet and taking out too many tonsils to line their pockets -- and there's too much testing going on out there, and unnecessary tests are taking place, and this is driving up the costs," and just now conveniently here we are in the midst of the free fall in support, we get the American Cancer Society saying that there are "risks in early screenings and that the benefits of detecting many cancer..." Get that. "Detecting" means finding!

Suspicious Timing: Value of Early Cancer Screening "Overstated"?

Rush is completely right...Obama likes European health care and I've written before from my experience in Europe...only mammograms after the age of 50 or in case of a suspicious lumb...pap smear test only after the age of 30 (one of my family members was lucky to have it tested on request and was tested positive at the age of 27 and being cured)...prostate exams only when a male has certain complains....

It is cheaper to let some one die than to do all these test...wait for Obama care and you get your proof your self or be smart and vote for reform....

Ins. to be bought over State lines, limit the lawsuits and go after health care fraud, and you will have the money to ins. many more people without taken our rights from us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
It is very interesting indeed. But watch the Lefties come on now and slam Rush for bringing this up.

All of a sudden catching cancer in its early stages is not important.

What a society we live in!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
No, it's not suspicious because this has been talked about for a few years now. Nothing new.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Haven't we been berated as a society and a culture from the American Heart Association to the American Cancer Society, you name it? We have been beat over the head. "We must get tested! We must get tested early. We must get tested early and often! We must, we must, we must! You must, you must, you must! It will save us money. We will find ways to treat cancers before they become deadly, and we will save money."

Now all of a sudden it's overrated? Does the timing of this make anybody suspicious? Here we are in the midst of a free fall in support Obama's health care plan, not just the public option, but everything that's in it. And part of this is, "Well, too many tests are going on out there." Obama is running around saying (summarized) "We have too many tests and doctors are amputating too many feet and taking out too many tonsils to line their pockets -- and there's too much testing going on out there, and unnecessary tests are taking place, and this is driving up the costs," and just now conveniently here we are in the midst of the free fall in support, we get the American Cancer Society saying that there are "risks in early screenings and that the benefits of detecting many cancer..." Get that. "Detecting" means finding!

Suspicious Timing: Value of Early Cancer Screening "Overstated"?

Rush is completely right...Obama likes European health care and I've written before from my experience in Europe...only mammograms after the age of 50 or in case of a suspicious lumb...pap smear test only after the age of 30 (one of my family members was lucky to have it tested on request and was tested positive at the age of 27 and being cured)...prostate exams only when a male has certain complains....

It is cheaper to let some one die than to do all these test...wait for Obama care and you get your proof your self or be smart and vote for reform....

Ins. to be bought over State lines, limit the lawsuits and go after health care fraud, and you will have the money to ins. many more people without taken our rights from us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
It is very interesting indeed. But watch the Lefties come on now and slam Rush for bringing this up.

All of a sudden catching cancer in its early stages is not important.

What a society we live in!

I understand being against this administrations policies, i get that. I also understand your concerns for the deficits and the cost of this health care package, i get that too. What i do not get is this beating of the drum on a wreckless statement concerning a deadly disease
It has ALWAYS been a focus by the Cancer Society as well as the Health department and CDC that everyone should get checked early ...but more importantly for things like Prostate and Breast Cancer. Tell you what, why don't you two ask a person that didn't get tested in time if they feel this is suspicious timing.

My mother - in law didn't and as of today she was moved to hospice care, we're just in a waiting pattern for her to let go.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I understand being against this administrations policies, i get that. I also understand your concerns for the deficits and the cost of this health care package, i get that too. What i do not get is this beating of the drum on a wreckless statement concerning a deadly disease
It has ALWAYS been a focus by the Cancer Society as well as the Health department and CDC that everyone should get checked early ...but more importantly for things like Prostate and Breast Cancer. Tell you what, why don't you two ask a person that didn't get tested in time if they feel this is suspicious timing.

My mother - in law didn't and as of today she was moved to hospice care, we're just in a waiting pattern for her to let go.
Yes I 100% agree. But now there is chatter that there are too many screenings and tests being performed. Ie.. its getting too expensive.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Haven't we been berated as a society and a culture from the American Heart Association to the American Cancer Society, you name it...blah, blah, blah...
An intelligent person would go beyond the headlines and certainly wouldn't rely on Rush Limbaugh for information (and conspiracy theories) about the two multi-year and conflicting studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine, regarding very specific forms of cancer screening.

So instead of rushing off to Rush to uncover some nefarious fantasy of a plot, an intelligent person, in the age of the internet, would simply Google New England Journal Medicine cancer screening and you would get the following:

Benefits and harms of widespread PSA test use still unclear - JAAPA: Official Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants

But that is what an intelligent person would do.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yes I 100% agree. But now there is chatter that there are too many screenings and tests being performed. Ie.. its getting too expensive.

In a way I understand the point on too many tests, but you know what its needed in some cases. Now if you have a person that is a hydrocondriac who runs to the dr. for a stress test everytime they get a cold and their a smoker, then I agree that's suspect. But in the cases of Cancer, Heart and Lung problems diabetes you can never order too many tests.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
An intelligent person would go beyond the headlines and certainly wouldn't rely on Rush Limbaugh for information (and conspiracy theories) about the two multi-year and conflicting studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine, regarding very specific forms of cancer screening.

So instead of rushing off to Rush to uncover some nefarious fantasy of a plot, an intelligent person, in the age of the internet, would simply Google New England Journal Medicine cancer screening and you would get the following:

Benefits and harms of widespread PSA test use still unclear - JAAPA: Official Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants

But that is what an intelligent person would do.
OH!!!!- Thank You!!

I cannot believe this is not some conspiracy born from the mind of Rham Emmanuel.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
In a way I understand the point on too many tests, but you know what its needed in some cases. Now if you have a person that is a hydrocondriac who runs to the dr. for a stress test everytime they get a cold and their a smoker, then I agree that's suspect. But in the cases of Cancer, Heart and Lung problems diabetes you can never order too many tests.
That is how I feel. We have the technology to catch the cancer there is no reason not to use it.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
That is how I feel. We have the technology to catch the cancer there is no reason not to use it.

True so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies