Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
This amendment is truly disgusting. I didn't think I could have any less respect for religious conservatives. I was proven wrong today. Truly evil people.
Don't despair. If this were 10 years ago, every county in NC probably would have voted for the amendment. The fact that several counties voted against it shows you that opinions are changing.

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Are black democrat churches spared from your rod?
They fall under "religious conservatives". So no.

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I am not religious and I couldn't care less about what the Bible says so I wouldn't really know....

So now we're going to make concessions for siblings to get married only if they're both physically unable to prodcue children.... Hmm, it just sounds simpler to keep marriage the way it is.

You're for the degradation of our society just to allow two men or women to marry each other for some inexplicable reason. Sad.
Two people who love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together=degradation in your eyes? Really? Yet bitter, hateful straight people can get married for the flimsiest of reasons?

And you better get religious real fast since religion is the most commonly used reason to deny human beings their basic rights.

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The bigots decided.

We should never allow the majority to vote for the rights of the minority.
How many minorities are we going to manufacture in this nation? Where will we draw the line?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I never said "majority." I said America is a "long way" from accepting. There's a difference.
Well then what's your definition of America "accepting" it? Does it have to be 100%? 90% You're just getting into an argument of semantics now.

The fact is this: Every major poll taken over the last few years shows that a majority of Americans accept homosexuality.

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Default North Carolina approves amendment to ban gay marriage with 58% vote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Then you must be a conspiracy theorist on this issue too. For years, polls have shown an increasing acceptance of homosexuality. Here's a Pew poll from last year:

"While the public is divided over same-sex marriage, a majority of Americans (58%) say that homosexuality should be accepted, rather than discouraged, by society."

Most Say Homosexuality Should Be Accepted By Society | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

^^^^That was a poll, meaningless for this thread.

North Carolina voted, and they have 58% against homosexual marraige.
They have a Democracy, they voted, the people have spoken. It doesn't really matter what a poll says. That state has made up their mind.

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Don't despair. If this were 10 years ago, every county in NC probably would have voted for the amendment. The fact that several counties voted against it shows you that opinions are changing.
It still baffles me that in the 21st Century, in the supposed greatest nation on earth (what a joke that is), gays are still being mistreated and discriminated against.

And these bigots actually think God is on their side. I think the whole wide path to Hell was referring to Christians, more than non-believers. I expect a lot of Fundamentalists/Evangelicals to be in for a rude awakening if this is their example of spreading Christ's love and compassion.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Well, that's all fine and dandy except this vote was to amend the Constutution. That has a little more finality to it. A vote to overturn it will be quite the challenge.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Uh, yes I do. That's exactly what you're trying to do to me. Your morals lead you to believe that we should all be okay with gays getting married. I disagree. So do the people of the state of North Carolina. The people have spoken. You can't do anything to change it. So it's probably best to mind your own business and stop creating assumptions about the people who voted.
No, I am saying you can do whatever you want. It is your stance that is arbitrary.

"You can't do that because I don't like it!!!!"

That is pretty much your stance. My stance is that of freedom. You can marry whichever sex you desire. Your's is the stance that would limit freedom. I'm not forcing you to marry someone of the same sex. You ARE putting force on others.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Do you have any evidence to support this outrageous claim? And how do you jive the claim with the fact that many Republicans are not religious and many Democrats are religious? Faith or lack of faith in a supreme being or religious system is not based on political viewpoints.
Not sure if you've noticed just about everything the GOP has been doing lately? Nearly all inspired by religion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies