Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Hmm, Nadya Suleman managed to produce 14 offspring without having sex with a man...

If she, a straight woman, could do it, a lesbian can also.
She didn't do it naturally.

The difference between a "straight" woman and a lesbian is a choice - so your comparison is invalid.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieux View Post
I can't believe how many people didn't even bother to educate themselves about this amendment before blindly going out and voting for it like a bunch of mindless sheep. Gay marriage was already banned in NC some years ago. This amendment was about making all types of civil unions/domestic partnerships illegal in the state as well. This includes heterosexual couples who choose not to get married for whatever reason but want to set up a domestic partnership for legal reasons, as well as gay couples who were already denied the right to marry in this backwards state.
Pfft, who cares if you're a loving, heterosexual couple in a long term, domestic, stable relationship who chose not to bother w/ the government/religious institution of marriage? Who cares so long as we can stick it to the gays!

We've already had miamimam flat out say more or less that they didn't care so long as gays can't get married. Once again, it's said when people are so blinded by their own hatred they refuse to note the details...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oy.

And how do you know what "the Creator" wanted? Did he tell you when you had dinner with him last week?
Sigh - go take a biology course and then get back to me, ok?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Comparing North Carolina to South Carolina and Tennessee is your fallacy. Even your numbers prove such. I pointed out to you that NC is s swing state, and it's numbers tonight reflect a swing state. Using your numbers, it shows that both SC and TN are very conservative states, unlike NC, which is center right. NC's numbers reflect that....because it's swing state. As I said to you earlier, opposing ideologies is rooted in NC's culture and it's history.
You've provided nothing to suggest that North Carolina is a "swing state," other than the fact that North Carolina narrowly voted for Obama in 2008. In 2004, North Carolina voted 56% for Bush, and South Carolina voted 58% for Bush, and Tennessee voted 56.8% for Bush. In 2000, North Carolina voted 56% for Bush, South Carolina voted 56.8% for Bush, and Tennessee voted 51% for Bush (although Gore's home state was Tennessee).

On the same day in 2006, South Carolina and Tennessee voted for same sex marriage bans by very similar margins. The margin in North Carolina today was 20 points closer. You seem to think that the reason for this discrepancy is that North Carolina has a much more liberal populace than either South Carolina or Tennessee, but that's not really borne out by electoral history in general. You also seem to believe that attitudes towards marriage equality have not changed between 2006 and 2012; that is simply not borne out by the facts. Nationwide, support for marriage equality has risen from 42% in 2006 to 53% in 2012. I would suggest that tonight's numbers reflect that support for marriage equality has increased nationwide, including in southern states like North Carolina.

It's pure speculation, and I don't know if there is any polling data available, but I would guess that if there was a poll done in South Carolina or Tennessee today, support for marriage equality would be better than 80-20 against.

Quote:
Regarding your last paragraph.....How many minorities are we going to manufacture in this nation? Where will we draw the line?

Why does a line have to be drawn when it comes to respecting fundamental human and civil rights of American citizens?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Sigh - go take a biology course and then get back to me, ok?
LOL. Yeah, I'm sure I'll learn all about "the Creator" in a biology course. At Bob Jones University, maybe; at any legitimate school, no way, Jose.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post

[/i]Why does a line have to be drawn when it comes to respecting fundamental human and civil rights of American citizens?
Marriage is not a civil right - it is a privelege.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
LOL. Yeah, I'm sure I'll learn all about "the Creator" in a biology course. At Bob Jones University, maybe; at any legitimate school, no way, Jose.
The biology class will teach you about God's creation and the processes involved in living organisms - taking such a course will answer your question.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Gay couples should not raise children - children need the daily influence of both male and female parents to develop normally - both a mother and father contribute neccesary elements to the healthy growth of a child. It is how the Creator(or nature if you prefer) intended. Homosexuals should not be permitted to engage in dangerous experiments by being responsible for raising children.
So you're okay w/ not letting a homeless child rotting in foster care to be adopted by a loving gay couple? Do you suggest single people not adopt? Are the children of single parents doomed b/c mom or dad weren't around?

Don't push your "Creator" nonsense on me. Human beings evolved to raise our children in a group/community setting so that in the absence of a partner, there is help from others. The whole, "it takes a village" thing comes into play.

Oh, and children of gay parents do get access to adults of other sexes who can help in their development-grandparents, uncles, aunts, community leaders, coaches, teachers, scout leaders, etc.

Last edited by eevee; 05-08-2012 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ONCE AGAIN, you brought up sibling marriages as a strawman excuse of why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed. I never brought it up to begin with, am only playing devil's advocate in questioning your opposition to sibling marriage. Don't bring up topics if you don't want other people to call you out on it.
I clearly stated that ANY two adults would able to claim that they should have rights to marriage should gays win the fight for marriage, including siblings. You have already stated that you have no qualms about incestuous unions, which is sickening and shows that you are not that clear minded. I have stated that incestuous relationships would likely result in retarded children. You have tried to throw around different diseases and conditions in which parents would likely produce mentally retarded children, but have failed miserably in mulltiple attempts to do so. You have run out of steam on your argument and fail to give up.... You are not playing Devil's Advocate. You are being an annoying and trying to get me to agree with sibling marriage and gay marriage no matter what the consequences to society. Not going to happen.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
The difference between a "straight" woman and a lesbian is a choice - so your comparison is invalid.
If the difference between straight and gay is a choice, could you tell us when you chose to be straight?

Quote:
Marriage is not a civil right - it is a privelege. [sic]
The Supreme Court unanimously disagrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies