Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You have forgotten about Proposition 22 in 2000. I am proud to say that I voted to preserve marriage in California both times. The difference between 22 and 8 was that Prop 8 ammended the state constitution while Prop 22 only affected the state codes. Both were struck down by judges with agendas who ignored the clear will of the people.
I don't recall voting on Prop 22, and I was living in California at the time... but the "will of the people" was SO closely divided (on Prop 8), you can't exactly claim it was a landslide. And the will of the people means nothing, when a Supreme Court declares something unconstitutional - in other words, when the people are stupid or hateful enough to condone civil rights violations. I'm sure many voted to ban interracial marriages back in the day, but thank G-d our government did the right thing eventually. People can be dumb, and that's when I'm glad our court systems exist & work as they do.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Face it, there is no rational argument for how gay marriage harms heterosexuals. That is why denying that right to them is bigotry.
Sigh - everything that people say who disagree with you goes in one ear and out the other. It must be nice to be so closed minded - the rest of us deal in the real world.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Do you support polygamy?
You should, as your stupid bible advocates it.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Sigh - everything that people say who disagree with you goes in one ear and out the other. It must be nice to be so closed minded - the rest of us deal in the real world.

Again I'm asking, present to me a rational argument:

How do homosexuals getting married effect you?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Do you support polygamy?
As long as all parties involved are consenting and adult, sure... why not?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 AM

72 posts, read 77,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here's the problem with your flawed analogy... stealing is wrong because it victimizes another person, as do acts like rape, murder, molestation, and so forth. That's why everyone can agree those things are wrong!! But how do consenting gay adults victimize anyone? That's where bigotry comes in, because there's no other reason to "be against" homosexuality when it doesn't hurt anyone else. Who cares if they share the term marriage with us? I certainly don't mind, and it won't affect my relationships one iota. Not one.
Darnit gizmo, I can't rep you again just yet. So I'll just say thanks for this post. I will never understand why people try to equate being gay with all kinds of things that cause harm to other people. How in the world does loving someone of the same gender equate to stealing, raping, and killing?? I just don't get how anyone can make a logical connection between those. I will never forget when a close friend came out to me over 15 years ago. She told me how difficult it was having that conversation with her parents. And I'll never forget she said "Some people would find it easier to have a murderer in their family than a gay person." It was heartbreaking to hear the pain in her voice. Most families tend to forgive some horrible behavior from their loved ones, but I personally know people who have been disowned for being gay. Talk about a warped sense of morality.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
And yet, everything WE say apparently falls on deaf ears. I'm listening (reading) now - please tell us one tangible or rational and non-religious reason that gay marriage is harmful to straight marriage. Seriously, I will give you a virtual award if you can come up with one... as you'd officially be the first to accomplish such a thing, LOL.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
I don't recall voting on Prop 22, and I was living in California at the time... but the "will of the people" was SO closely divided (on Prop 8), you can't exactly claim it was a landslide. And the will of the people means nothing, when a Supreme Court declares something unconstitutional - in other words, when the people are stupid or hateful enough to condone civil rights violations. I'm sure many voted to ban interracial marriages back in the day, but thank G-d our government did the right thing eventually. People can be dumb, and that's when I'm glad our court systems exist & work as they do.
I imagine that you have a selective memory because California voters overwhelming passed Prop 22 by a 61% - 39% margin. I can't imagine how you could have lived here and been unaware of it. Perhaps you didn't vote - but I did - and I was one of the 61% who made it clear that the definition of marriage was important to us and we did it again 8 years later. Political hack judges ignored our choice and legislated from the bench.

Aren't you pro-choice? Why then can't you respect the choice of the voters in California?

Proposition 22 - results by county:

Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 AM

That's the problem with these religious types who claim to love our Constitution. They have little understanding of either text.

They cherry pick what they want out of their holy book to validate their bigotry and ignore parts of the COTUS if impedes on their ability to force others to adhere to their religious beliefs.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
And yet, everything WE say apparently falls on deaf ears. I'm listening (reading) now - please tell us one tangible or rational and non-religious reason that gay marriage is harmful to straight marriage. Seriously, I will give you a virtual award if you can come up with one... as you'd officially be the first to accomplish such a thing, LOL.

Don't hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies