Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
A lot of right wing hate today has annoyed me. I'm not really trying to please you, sorry.
It is ok... I apologize for getting a little heated

I am quite proud to be among the large number that has recently migrated to the Houston area and college before. We are seeing lots of progress in the city areas toward this issue. The smaller tons and some suburbs are still a different story though unfortunately. Of course there is lots of work to be done, but hopefully it will continue getting better towards more tolerance.

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It wouldn't be a pro-homosexual argument if it didn't include some reference to black people and civil rights would it? You guys just don't know how to refrain do you?
As I've mentioned more than once on this board, there's little difference between gays fighting for equal marriage rights, women fighting for equal voting rights, and blacks fighting for equal civil rights. It all adds up to an oppressed minority group fighting for rights the majority are withholding from them.

Signed,

A black woman whose rights were won by fighters and is fighting to attain rights for others

Last edited by eevee; 05-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: sp

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
For every "liberals are smarter" link you can produce, I can produce the converse for conservatism. A new thread on this subject pops up every other week. Its like volleyball....one day the argument is on this side of the court, the next day the other side. Your link means nothing.

Sweet dreams!
Oh, I know. That's why I knew you would like it!

By the way, you've started to repeat yourself on this thread:

Quote:
I'm jazzed about this outcome for another reason: North Carolina is a swing state, and this proves that conservatives are by and large paying attention this election season. Of all years to get conservatives' attention, 2012 is the year to do it in. Leave it to gay marriage to generate that attention. I'm sure voting today felt very good to them......perhaps it will be a feeling they will be eager to relive in November in the pursuit to oust Barack Obama. I think what we've seen here tonight in NC is the opening salvo to what is to be a red state again in November.
Quote:
I'm jazzed about this outcome for another reason: North Carolina is a swing state, and this proves that conservatives are by and large paying attention this election season. Of all years to get conservatives' attention, 2012 is the year to do it in. Leave it to gay marriage to generate that attention. I'm sure voting today felt very good to them......perhaps it will be a feeling they will be eager to relive in November in the pursuit to oust Barack Obama. I think what we've seen here tonight in NC is the opening salvo to what is to be a red state again in November.
Better get that checked out!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
And well-educated parts of the state voted for the amendment. What kind of statement is that. Our state educates everybody in the state, not just certain areas. I don't think anybody voted strongly against the amendment. Some areas that have a lot of newcomers to the state voted againnst the amendment by a small margin. Check the figures. We haven't been brainwashed here in North Carolina yet. We still understand the difference between living right and living wrong and we voted accordingly.

70-30?? 79-21?? That isn't strongly against???

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
We keep hearing this “it’s only a matter of time” fantasy mantra over and over again yet the facts remain to the contrary and actually support the opposite position. It isn’t happening.
Times are changing, quicker than you might like. Six years ago, Tennessee passed an amendment banning marriage equality by an 81-19 margin. South Carolina did the same 78-22.

A 61-39 vote in North Carolina just six years later represents a roughly 20 point shift in favor of marriage equality. But feel free to keep saying to yourself that marriage equality will never catch on, despite the documented trends nationwide, and in particular among younger voters.

Quote:
If 31 states had voted your way to redefine marriage by a substantial margin then your claim might have some validity but they did not and the claim that “it’s only a matter of time” is empty, invalid, and pure hokum.

Your smiley after that post reads as bragging that you've "won" a popular vote today. I'll repeat again that someday you will be viewed in the same way we look at segregationists today. You will be an embarrassing incident of American history of the sort of people who oppose social progress and basic civil rights.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
70-30?? 79-21?? That isn't strongly against???
Where are you getting your numbers from? Are there any maps of the results by county?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I live in California and before that lived in Washington - both blue states.
Actually, I know that.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Where are you getting your numbers from? Are there any maps of the results by county?
It would be very telling for sure to see the county results

Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Nothing shocking about this. Another redneck state in the South that refuses to progress. How sad.
Like yours and mine state of California - which has twice voted to support marriage between a man and a woman?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 PM

700 posts, read 638,023 times
Doesn't minority rights trump majority rules. Why should the rights of a subsection of Americans be decided through a popular vote? Why do conservatives support this? Doesn't this counter their supposed ideals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies