Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why would businesses care about gay marriage?
Because they might not want to be associated with a state that doesn't allow for marriage equality.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh, you are definitely reading that right, though you shouldn't assume that there is a comfort level with the diversity currently in his vicinity.

It's almost refreshing when a bigot just comes out with it, isn't it?
It's bigotry to want to live in a small town without much diversity? That's what you're saying? Not everyone needs their neighbor to be of a different color to be fulfilled. Did that ever cross your mind? You want a black person as your neighbor. Fine, there are plenty of options for you. He might not want the same. What's wrong with that? Absolutely NOTHING.

Such small, small minds on the liberal left. You folks should be proud.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh, you are definitely reading that right, though you shouldn't assume that there is a comfort level with the diversity currently in his vicinity.

It's almost refreshing when a bigot just comes out with it, isn't it?
Bigotry and discrimination keeps my family safe and my children in safe, challenging schools.

I don't base my beliefs/decisions off of emotion, I base my decisions on safety, logic, and quality of life.

Btw, I was using Tennessee as an example, I actually live in diversity central (Philadelphia), a city with a dwindling tax base, outrageous homicide rate, failing schools, and flash mobs. I avoid the city at all costs and reside safely in the suburbs.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
When Republicans justify their hatred against gays with the Bible, when they quote scripture as a basis for discriminating against a minority, when they use religion to harm those that are not religious, they are legislating religion.
Murder and theft are considered things that should not be done according to the Bible - and we have laws against murder and theft. Do you argue that such laws are legislating religion?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why would businesses care about gay marriage?
I work in tech. Notice there are not too many high tech companies in red states? Did you notice that? Did you notice the voter turnout in the Triangle area? They did not support Amendment One at all. IT is lucrative and progressive. If you think attacking gays will attract high tech companies, you are sorely mistaken. You might attract some really nice button factories though.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am so sickened to see some of these people who are happy about this. Shame on you.
Explain, please.

NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
NC - Election Results

Scroll to the bottom of the page for Amendment One results. It won a little more than 58%. Some rural counties are still not included. It could go higher or lower.

93 of 100 Counties Reporting
Percent Votes
For 61.08% 1,288,493
Against 38.92% 820,995
2,109,488 Total votes.

If you scroll down to the Amendment One Voting information and click on the map it will tell you who in the state voted against the amendment. Clicking on the center details or information will give county by county totals. Summary gives you every primary election result for all state offices.

The against people spent almost $2 for every $1 spent for the amendment. In North Carolina it can sometimes work against something to throw money at it. I think the report I heard said the against people spent more than 2.5 million dollars.

Last edited by NCN; 05-08-2012 at 09:24 PM..

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Because they might not want to be associated with a state that doesn't allow for marriage equality.
Come on. Gay marriage is the farthest thing from an entrepreneur's mind as it can get. Target market and profitability is the focus, not homosexual sex. And big corporations? PSSSH. Not on their radar either.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Murder and theft are considered things that should not be done according to the Bible - and we have laws against murder and theft. Do you argue that such laws are legislating religion?
Are laws restricting murder and theft harming a minority of American Citizens that work, pay taxes and do no harm to you? One has nothing to do with the other. Of course you know that.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
You know, calling other people names with different opinions makes you no better than them

Who reached down and made you the arbiter of whose opinions are right and wrong?

I don't agree with them, I think gay marriage should be legal.... but who am I to tell others how to think? Thats their business, unfortunately
You are certainly welcome to stick your head in the sand. I won't be joining you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
If you're Jewish and going to public school, you should leave your star home while at school. Wear it to religious or family functions, but when you're in a neutral setting, leave it off."
Quote:
Don't expect me to be tolerant of your disgusting lifestyle if you can't be tolerant of mine, which I'm sure you also find disgusting.You preachers of tolerance seem to forget about those of us who are not like you. Never fails! Do what you want when you're amongst yourselves, but when you're on mainstream turf, go with the norm instead of making spectacles of yourselves.
Quote:
This is something gays, trans, cross, whatevers don't seem to understand. Don't shove your freakiness on others and they won't care what you do behind closed doors. In other words, keep it behind closed doors.
Quote:
Well, gee, do you suppose it was because she didn't flaunt it and shove it down throats before?

When people stop making disgusting displays of their religion, their sexual preferences, et al, they'll stop having reasons to sue every Tom, Dick, and Harry. When people stop acting like freaks, they will stop being treated like freaks. I hope AT&T appeals and wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies