Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Don't you live in California?

I guess Cali is a backward redneck state too.... since gay marriage is illegal there too.... still....lots of IT there too

That ought to ruffle that tech moron a little
It was passed. Then it was overturned when Utah Mormons poured endless millions into the state. Due to the very strong backlash by actual Californians, it was taken back to the court and repealed. That tells you something right there.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So ads are considered fact? I'm glad you pointed that out to me. That will make it a lot easier for me this presidential election season to sort out who i'll be voting for.
Stop being obtuse. When Nike and Starbucks comes out in support of gay marriage, the companies risk losing some of its customers. The fact that they could remain silent and not take that risk illustrates that the issue is important enough that they are willing to lose customers over it.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,617 times
My good friend works for Intel in Phoenix, and straps up like Rambo on grocery store trips. Implying that there are no tech companies in red states is false. I'm guessing those who espouse that garbage have never been down South or out West.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It was passed. Then it was overturned when Utah Mormons poured endless millions into the state. Due to the very strong backlash by actual Californians, it was taken back to the court and repealed. That tells you something right there.
But it is still illegal... what are there, two kinds of illegal in your fantasy land?

When it is legal, come back and run your mouth

I was on your side regarding legalizing gay marriage as I am for it..... but you really are annoying the way you come across

Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
What evidence do you have to suggest that "education" was key to voting against the amendment versus that of traditionally high tech industries attracting people with more liberal ideologies? Is it not possible that liberal ideologies are against the amendment, regardless of education? Education does not suggest liberalism.....liberalism does not suggest education. The two are not mutually exclusive. I believe you're reaching here.
I didn't say it was the only factor, but its certainly one of the factors. The Amendment passed by large margins in the portions of the state with low levels of education. It failed 70-30 in Durham, 79-21 in Orange.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's really a matter of who shows up at the polls. In this case those that supported the ban were hell bent on getting it passed because they believe it's against god's way or whatever and affects them personally. They rallied the forces. It's all about turnout. I think those that oppose the ban believe in equality for all but it doesn't affect them personally so they may have felt there was no reason to go to the polls. No delusion here, it is only a matter of time People need to get out of other people's business if it doesn't affect them.
We keep hearing this “it’s only a matter of time” fantasy mantra over and over again yet the facts remain to the contrary and actually support the opposite position. It isn’t happening.

If 31 states had voted your way to redefine marriage by a substantial margin then your claim might have some validity but they did not and the claim that “it’s only a matter of time” is empty, invalid, and pure hokum.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,077 times
Quote:
What evidence do you have to suggest that "education" was key to voting against the amendment versus that of traditionally high tech industries attracting people with more liberal ideologies? Is it not possible that liberal ideologies are against the amendment, regardless of education? Education does not suggest liberalism.....liberalism does not suggest education. The two are not mutually exclusive. I believe you're reaching here.
Liberalism suggests a higher IQ:

"Data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health) support Kanazawa's hypothesis. Young adults who subjectively identify themselves as "very liberal" have an average IQ of 106 during adolescence while those who identify themselves as "very conservative" have an average IQ of 95 during adolescence."
Liberals and atheists smarter? Intelligent people have values novel in human evolutionary history, study finds

Nightie, night!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I guess Cali is a backward redneck state too.... since gay marriage is illegal there too.... still....lots of IT there too
It's a little bizarre, but California actually does recognize same-sex marriages from other states where it's legal - we just don't perform them here.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
My good friend works for Intel in Phoenix, and straps up like Rambo on grocery store trips. Implying that there are no tech companies in red states is false. I'm guessing those who espouse that garbage have never been down South or out West.
Where is Intel headquartered? Hmmm? Go on, you know.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,969,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Maybe you should learn to accept other opinions. By the way, the majority of the world is stupid.
Not when those opinions represent dictionary definitions of bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies