Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 PM

30,975 posts, read 21,843,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My personal opinion is that pot should be legalized but if someone is on welfare they shouldn't be buying recreational drugs. In a sense it's actually worse than someone caught using a drug like heroin because the use of the drug is not driven by addiction.
What's to keep them from heading straight to a liquor store after getting a welfare money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM

30,975 posts, read 21,843,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
It was tried in Florida recently and they found that between 2-3% of all recipients tested positive for drug use. Even less than the general population. Total waste of time & tax dollars and another "feel good" initiative by "do nothing" conservatives who will try anything to ensure that everyone else is living their lives as they think they should be.
I agree. They would probably have better luck catching postives for drug use by welfare applicants who keep coming back for welfare, because they can't hold down a job.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,436,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I agree. But come on admit it....you hit the pipe dont you?
Sorry, no. Personally, I don't like the smell.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,662,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
You can get Foodstamps and WIC, at the same time? Aren't they the same thing?
W= women
I= infants
C= children

Only for pregnant women or mothers with children UNDER the age of 5yrs old. Only covers certain things like milk, cereal, cheese, peanut butter, tuna fish, and beans.

Food stamps are for anyone that qualifies, and only certain foods are restricted such as hot ready to eat deli foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You want government out of your life, yet you collect food stamps and WIC, and you want government to do drug tests. It's ok if the state government does it, but not the federal. I don't get it.
It's ok for state govs to do it based on the Constitution, as opposed to Federal being against the Constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
If you dont do drugs, then you have nothing to worry about concerning this testing. Working people have to do it
I call BS. I personally have failed a drug test before. I failed a MEPS test the day before I was supposted to ship out to boot at Parris Island. I wasn't the only one though, 23 others failed as well. All for eating lemon poppy seed muffins at the hotel buffet the day before. I didn't know until then that poppy seeds mimic the same results. After that, we were re-tested and we all passed, and the hotel was barred from serving those muffins to MEPS people again.

So yes, it is possible to be legal and honest and still fail a test.

Personally, I feel if welfare recepiants should be foreced to test, then Gov officials should be tested as well. If they fail, they loose their pensions.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,436,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why CEO's?
You think CEOs don't hit the bong? Think again.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,404,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What's to keep them from heading straight to a liquor store after getting a welfare money?
Nothing if they are handing out cash and why any assistance should be accountable and have limited uses. For example some of my customers were on heating assistance, they never saw the check. It went directly to me or whoever they they chose as a fuel supplier. That doesn't necessarily prevent abuse 100% but it certainly makes it harder.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 AM

37,222 posts, read 42,542,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Nothing if they are handing out cash and why any assistance should be accountable and have limited uses. For example some of my customers were on heating assistance, they never saw the check. It went directly to me or whoever they they chose as a fuel supplier. That doesn't necessarily prevent abuse 100% but it certainly makes it harder.
Well the the way to think should be towards supplying people with needed services rather than putting cash in their hands. Drug testing doesn't really have a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies