Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,131,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Already being done here in FL and it's not cost effective. Only folks making money are the processing labs.

There you go...it's more feel good legislation that costs more than it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,091,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post

However, wasn't a flaw with what was happening in FL that it was schedule and predetermined when the test would be. This needs to be a surprise test like an employer would have.

I would definitely like to see realistic numbers as to what the expected % of welfare recipients are A)Users B) would get caught C) Cost per test D) Avg cost per recipient per year.

Then we can see if it yields cuts and savings in the end or if it doesn't.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Again the article I quoted indicated 1600 applicants refused the test, that's 1600 applicants that aren't getting assistance. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% which I would assume more than makes up for the costs of the tests and that is just the people that applied, it doesn't count the people that haven't applied knowing they will be tested.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
However, wasn't a flaw with what was happening in FL that it was schedule and predetermined when the test would be. This needs to be a surprise test like an employer would have.

I would definitely like to see realistic numbers as to what the expected % of welfare recipients are A)Users B) would get caught C) Cost per test D) Avg cost per recipient per year.

Then we can see if it yields cuts and savings in the end or if it doesn't.
A "surprise"? I can't even imagine running around the country trying to "surprise" people with a drug test. Are they going to follow you and track your movements first? This is just getting STUPID

Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,947,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A "surprise"? I can't even imagine running around the country trying to "surprise" people with a drug test. Are they going to follow you and track your movements first? This is just getting STUPID
Exactly. Random drug tests work in sports and a workplace because you normally know where someone is going to be at any given time. They tag athletes at games and employees at work. How the hell are the supposed to know where people are who aren't working?

Welfare Employee (WE) - "Here is your check. You will be subject to random drug screens. Do you understand?"

Recipient - "Yes"

WE - "Okay. Now I need you to make sure that you are at your home on the following dates for......um.......a massage. Yeah that's it."

Ain't gonna happen.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,078,546 times
You are just going to end up creating more bloat in local governments....

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me to pee in a cup for them because they were getting drug tested for something, I would be a millionaire.

To fix this you need to have many extra monitors to oversee this and this costs money.... probably more than you would save

Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,184,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Conservatives who say welfare recipients should have to pass a drug test in order to receive government assistance have momentum on their side.
The issue has come up in the Republican presidential campaign, with front-runner Mitt Romney saying "it's an excellent idea."

Read more: Drug Tests for Welfare Gain Momentum - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2107637,00.html#ixzz1ne9tpIif - broken link)
Didn't this flop big time in Florida? With something like a 98% pass, and the cost of $500k to tax payers, in the first month or something absurd?

AND since the idea is they are living on the dole of the citizens cash, so are they. Every politician should be tested as well, under the exact same process. Guess what, it will never happen.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Didn't this flop big time in Florida? With something like a 98% pass, and the cost of $500k to tax payers, in the first month or something absurd?

7000 passed, a handful stupid enough to take the test while they were hot failed. 1600 refused to take the test at least according to the article I posted which is almost 20%. Those refusing the test would not be included in 2% that failed. As I suggested above there is going to be an undetermined amount of people that didn't even apply knowing they will be tested.

If you're $500K number is accurate and if for example those that refused to take the test were getting $300 a month they paid for the tests in one month from the benefits they did not pay out. In two months they are $500K in the black.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Here you go, $30 dollars in savings for every dollar spent on testing:

Florida’s Drug Test Law for Welfare Cash Assistance: First Quarter Facts | Foundation for Government Accountability

Quote:

FIRST QUARTER RESULTS
  • 48% drop in cash assistance approvals since drug test requirement
The impact of drug testing for welfare cash assistance is having a dramatic impact on approvals for cash assistance. Approvals for September 2011 (for cash assistance applicants for eligible adults subject to the drug testing requirement) were 62 percent lower than September 2010 and 48 percent lower than in June 2011, the month before the drug testing requirement took effect.[1]

Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,416,568 times
Its been a MASSIVE waste of state money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies