Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The vast majority of companies on wall street already randomly test employees. The bad PR from one exec being caught doing drugs just isn't worth it.

In the corporation I work for, an independent company randomly selects employees every month to test. Everyone is eligible, up to and including the board of directors. If you test positive, you have to go to rehab or give up your job. This is common place in corporate america.

Your snide comment would have been true in 1980, but not today.
I simply don't believe you that most of Wall St is subjected to random drug testing. Perhaps, pre-employment testing, but not random testing without cause.

That’s not so prevalent for the finance industry. I believe that 94% of all tests we’ve done were pre-employment. And many of the post-hire testing is triggered by an event like an accident.
How Wall Streeters Beat Drug Tests - Deal Journal - WSJ

After an undercover drug operation on Wall Street, DEA agents once said that"cocaine was either used or accepted by 90 percent of the people they met in the financial community."

Hard evidence of recent drug usage on Wall Street is scarce. According to the New York Post, a T.G.I. Friday's in the Financial District was shut down by police after they discovered that the restaurant was linked to cocaine deals.

"Many of the drug buyers were Wall Street traders, brokers and bankers who liked to spend their nights getting high after the market spent the day going low," the Post said.
Wall Street turns a blind eye to drugs - Business - The Vista - University of San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
i think it's a good idea. i don't really care. my friends (who are usually apolitical) have been plastering facebook with this topic, though.

the general idea is that if i have to take a drug test to get a job, they oughta take a drug test to get any kind of gov't bennies. i can abide by that.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its been a MASSIVE waste of state money.

LOL. how can you justify that statement considering the numbers in that table? They saved 2 million in just over months and again since we have an undetermined amount of people that never applied because of the testing it's actually higher. MUCH higher when you consider this:

Quote:
Approvals for September 2011 (for cash assistance applicants for eligible adults subject to the drug testing requirement) were 62 percent lower than September 2010
That is a startling figure.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,235 times
There are needy people who need this help, and then there are others who are addicts and look for anyway to get something for drugs. Got to weed out the good from the bad. If you dont do drugs, then you have nothing to worry about concerning this testing. Working people have to do it

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
It's about time!

They should test for people collecting welfare, food stamps, WIC, medicaid and all other public assistance.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,684 times
I don't agree with this. It's not that I condone drug taking, but it is just singling out the poor again. Also, check this out from the sunshine state:

2% of Welfare Recipients Fail Drug Tests in Florida | Dispatches from the Culture Wars

http://www2.tbo.com/news/politics/20...res-ar-252458/

Only 2% of welfare recipients in Florida failed drug tests. Therefore, I ask, is it really worth it? These tests cost money and create more bureaucracy. A big old waste of time if you ask me and will only hurt the taxpayer and children, if they are part of the equation. Even if it were 20%, this would still be a waste of time.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's about time!

They should test for people collecting welfare, food stamps, WIC, medicaid and all other public assistance.
Then test everyone, including CEOs and politicians.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post

I agree. But come on admit it....you hit the pipe dont you?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its been a MASSIVE waste of state money.
Wrong.

This is exactly what I want to see:
Quote:
FIRST QUARTER RESULTS
  • 48% drop in cash assistance approvals since drug test requirement
The impact of drug testing for welfare cash assistance is having a dramatic impact on approvals for cash assistance. Approvals for September 2011 (for cash assistance applicants for eligible adults subject to the drug testing requirement) were 62 percent lower than September 2010 and 48 percent lower than in June 2011, the month before the drug testing requirement took effect.[1]
Next step is to get their goat-smelling asses out of the country. If they want to laze around, they can do that anywhere.

It's my money. And if I say drug test, then that's just way it goes. If you all don't like it, then don't apply for benefits.So long as you are taking my money, I'll decide exactly the conditions under which you can have that money.

Drug testing...

Mircea

Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Why CEO's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies