Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,748,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So, this photo was taken in 2010, the Marine Corps has addressed the issue, the marines in the photo are no longer with the unit, and MSNBC still ran this as though it qualified as news. Seriously?

Knowing that MSNBC reports nothing without the Obama administration handing them the script, it would seem MSNBC is doing the bidding for the Obama administration to smear our US Marine Corps.
The story was run by every major news organization in the world, including Fox News.

https://news.google.com/news/story?p...cdvPjrh4ypTMuM

I don't think it's a big deal, however. I doubt the Marines used that symbol for any nefarious purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,602,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What’s up with these Marines lately. First pissing on dead bodies now this? Is the constant duty rotations leaving no time for common since? If these guys were in my unit I would have slapped the **** out of them.

U.S. News - Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan
The original Boy Scout lapel pin was a swastika.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,080,285 times
Marines aren't made for cop duty.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,324,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Perhaps an intelligent person would look at their weapons first.
Thank you. I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

Flags and insignia may not be common knowledge but taking a look at the hardware pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,318,961 times
Ehhhhhhhhh, this is a tough one. I don't think those guys are dumb enough to align themselves with Die Schutzstaffel. Sometimes people do really stupid things though and you got a lot of young guys over there and they get a lot of down time together, stuff happens. I'm hoping they meant something else by this or are THAT clueless about the symbol.

At the same time though guys, what kind of message does this send to the rest of the world? Our own military is using the symbol of the enemy that we vowed to and did defeat to end the Second World War. Also, not only that, but today, Nazism is banned in Germany, so how can this be accepted when Germany itself is doing whatever it can to eliminate any honor that Nazis had.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,072,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Ehhhhhhhhh, this is a tough one. I don't think those guys are dumb enough to align themselves with Die Schutzstaffel. Sometimes people do really stupid things though and you got a lot of young guys over there and they get a lot of down time together, stuff happens. I'm hoping they meant something else by this or are THAT clueless about the symbol.

At the same time though guys, what kind of message does this send to the rest of the world? Our own military is using the symbol of the enemy that we vowed to and did defeat to end the Second World War. Also, not only that, but today, Nazism is banned in Germany, so how can this be accepted when Germany itself is doing whatever it can to eliminate any honor that Nazis had.
It means Scout Sniper. Has meant that for a while.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 PM

25,915 posts, read 16,640,543 times
So it means scout sniper. Where's the story?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,605,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Oh yes,they kill and die for your freedoms and have been for hundreds of years.Now,rather you appreciate is totally up to you.I suppose

So they are killing, and dying, for my "freedoms" in Afghanistan? Really?

I didn't know those freedoms were threatened by the Taliban. I thought the Taliban were a fiercely nationalistic tribe that didn't like foreign aggressors waging war on its soil?

If the U.S. military left Afghanistan, would my freedoms still be threatened?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,605,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

The better question is how does the Muslim world perceive the United States military? Do you suppose people in Afghanistan, the border region of Pakistan, and Iraq feel much different than say, your average Dutch, Norwegian, French or Belgian civilian felt when their country's were occupied by the Wehrmacht, and bombed by the Luftwaffe?

The Waffen SS and the Marines are/were both elite fighting forces, and to think the symbolism is lost on those in the picture is a dangerous naivete. It is also naive to think after 10 years of guerrilla war that people don't become desensitized to killing. The "Scout Sniper" excuse is merely a cover. Those are full blown SS runes.

I never believed Saddam had WMD's and some on this thread probably still think they are buried in Syria.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM

646 posts, read 804,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So they are killing, and dying, for my "freedoms" in Afghanistan? Really?

I didn't know those freedoms were threatened by the Taliban. I thought the Taliban were a fiercely nationalistic tribe that didn't like foreign aggressors waging war on its soil?

If the U.S. military left Afghanistan, would my freedoms still be threatened?
So let's see.The Taliban was hiding Bin Laden and protecting Al qaeda's top leaders.Bin Laden and Al Qaeda's whole goal was to put fear in Americans thru terrorist acts and to take away our feeling of safety and security.Which would eventually take our freedoms away because we would be too scared to go to a crowded ballgame.Or a airport.And again the Taliban protected these guys that went after our economy and freedoms.You were kidding, right Danny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies