Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather all the people who work at Walmart be unemployed?
Yes 17 20.48%
No 66 79.52%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,547,150 times

Advertisements

Walmart Blacklisted By Major Pension Fund Over Poor Labor Practices

"A major pension fund and longtime investor in Walmart has blacklisted the retailing behemoth, citing poor labor practices and the company's anti-union stance as the driving force behind its rejection.
Walmart typically shrugs off criticism of its labor practices as union-driven propaganda and insists that its employees are happy and well-managed, but investing experts say that when one of the largest pension funds in the world divests, the company would be wise to listen to the message. It's the same message the American labor movement has been pushing for decades."

Walmart Blacklisted By Major Pension Fund Over Poor Labor Practices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 03:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,483,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Blaming WalMart for this recession is also extremely asinine; where did THAT absurd line of reasoning come from?
LMAO af the absurd ridiculous asinine statement. I am one to compare shop. I have compared their same grocery items with that of VONS, ALBERTSONS, RALPHS, TRADER JOES, etc, on many of the exact items you can save over $2.00 dpending on what the item is.

I am all about saving money, not checking out what people are wearing or if they have designer hair.

They are one of the only stores who carries ground sasuage, not whole Italian sasuage as i buy, but ground sasuage to go into my italian meatballs.

This whole recession, and this economy, is not dying because of Wal-mart because of wal-mart i know people who can buy groceries and save.

Even with their prices going up, they still have better prices then that of STATER BROS, ALBERTSONS, RALPHS, VONS'S etc.
I check prices on everything i buy. In a pinch being open 24 hours is great for a light sleeper like me, and when no one is in the store.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,583,530 times
As someone whose employment history includes 16+ years working at major grocery stores here in LA, I do the same thing religiously; LA was the most competitive city in the country in the grocery industry in the seventies thanks to several more competitors and ruthless monitoring of all of the chains back then by the local media & TV stations.

The folks who whine about WalMart continuously ignore the fact that WalMart saves millions of Americans billions of dollars a month on groceries and everything else you can think of.

Consequently all of those bozos just need to quit whining like babies, and then go stock up on Pampers & Kleenex!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,483,734 times
Quote:
As someone whose employment history includes 16+ years working at major grocery stores here in LA, I do the same thing religiously; LA was the most competitive city in the country in the grocery industry in the seventies thanks to several more competitors and ruthless monitoring of all of the chains back then by the local media & TV stations.

The folks who whine about WalMart continuously ignore the fact that WalMart saves millions of Americans billions of dollars a month on groceries and everything else you can think of.

Consequently all of those bozos just need to quit whining like babies, and then go stock up on Pampers & Kleenex!
Your right, i have always been one to compare shop. Online the department stores, furniture stores, you name it i am a good checker of prices.

Do you know i was at a pretty fancy wedding, and recognized the centerpieces that were from wal-mart. I recognized the vases that were used, and the floral and greenery. Yep fancy a-- wedding and the table arrangements were from wal-mart. They were nice, and i am sure they saved a bundle doing the arrangements themselves.
I have seen candles and wall art in wal-mart that are on onlie home decor sites, same merchandise, and also a couple of the dinnerware sets they have i saw in J.C. PENNY AND MACY'S.

If i am interested in one of those dinnerware sets, what store am i going to to get the best deal.
They carry a lot of the same electronics, same smaller appliances as the other major department stores, but cheaper.

I am about saving money, and don't care about what others think about me doing so, always been like this, probably why we have money.

I do not hate them they are open 24 hours, i am a light sleeper, and prefer to go in there , when there is hardly anyone in the store.

On some items they are cheaper then one of those $1.00 stores.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 AM

And more filth from the cess pool....

Eaters, beware: Walmart is taking over our food system | Walmart’s greenwash: Why the retail giant is still unsustainable | Grist

Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,487,731 times
Although I dont like the place or care to shop there, lets not overlook the fact that no one is working there because being a surgen didnt end up being the challenge they thought it would be.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,068,261 times
Quote:

I always feel the people who complain about WalMart are those who do not need the savings that WalMart offers to consumers. If you are on a strict budget it can mean alot.
Thank you WalMart.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,916,246 times
I would prefer all store clerks be organized into one big union so we taxpayers would not have to subsidize Wall Mart by supporting these families on welfare.

I really object to Wall Mart abusing their power by forcing manufactures to meet Wall Mart's prices or go out of business. Wall Mart has created much of our problem with outsourcing to China and other places. No retail chain should have that power and those that abuse it should face anti-trust prosecution. Wall Mart distorts markets on both ends of the transaction and should be broken up by making each store an independent retailer.

I do not shop at Wall mart because for these reasons and because the last time I checked prices and quality against other stores Wall Mart was a bad deal on an individual items. Wall mart, since the founder died, has been a societal and economically bad deal.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Although I dont like the place or care to shop there, lets not overlook the fact that no one is working there because being a surgen didnt end up being the challenge they thought it would be.

Why the need to put down those who work in the service industry?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,583,530 times
I'm also inclined to think that WalMart could help us save a ton of money in medical expenses by opening or expanding their so-called 'minute-clinics'; the trillions of dollars that are wasted for ER trips in this country is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies