Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather all the people who work at Walmart be unemployed?
Yes 17 20.48%
No 66 79.52%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They would be working in local stores, for LESS than Wal-Mart wages, with FEWER benefits. Mom and Pops charged higher prices, paid their employees LOWER wages, offered ZERO benefits.

You are absolutely incorrect...Mom and pop shops offered better product (USA made) and more selection. They also offered knowledge and that has a tremendous amount of value. They did not pay less, they paid wages comparable to the COL at the time....the best example of that is that people have not struggled as they are currently are since TGD. Some employers did offer benefits and those that did not, those individuals retained that on their own.

There is NO defense for wm and what they have done to this nation, the communities and its people. No Mom and Pop shop ever handed an employee a sheet on where/how to get public aid as wm does, nor were there as many on the rolls for such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
They don't shop there.

They would be working in the local stores, just as they did prior to the cess pool coming to town.
Yep, and getting zero benefits.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
You are absolutely incorrect...Mom and pop shops offered better product (USA made) and more selection. They also offered knowledge and that has a tremendous amount of value. They did not pay less, they paid wages comparable to the COL at the time....the best example of that is that people have not struggled as they are currently are since TGD. Some employers did offer benefits and those that did not, those individuals retained that on their own.

There is NO defense for wm and what they have done to this nation, the communities and its people. No Mom and Pop shop ever handed an employee a sheet on where/how to get public aid as wm does, nor were there as many on the rolls for such.
Since I worked for the Mom and Pops, I can with complete confidence tell you that you are WRONG. They offered less selection, because they had less shelf space. They offered foreign-made and US-made products. They paid LESS. And anyone that EVER worked for a Mom and Pop can tell you so. They charged more. The vast majority of Mom and Pop retailers offered ZERO benefits.

Wal-Mart is not the evil empire. Unions may tell you that. Unions may set up websites and go on ad nauseum about how evil Wal-Mart is. But the bottom line, Wal-Mart is the same as Sears, Target, K-Mart. Retail workers get paid low wages because it's a profession with a high turnover and they are easily replaced. Retail workers never got a lot of benefits. Retail isn't manufacturing, and unions can try but they'll fail to make it like manufacturing.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:

Have to wait to rep u again. People defending china mart keep saying its a union issue...lol most states are right to work, hence no unions anyway.

The issue imo is quality of life. China mart does not represent what this nation should become, our manufacturing jobs and banking jobs are now offshored, what good is walmart? ?? U can seriously get anything u need on Ebay and at Home Depot or Lowes.

Plus their food dept is dirty and with their history I wouldnt buy dog food there.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Throughout history that is how the world has progressed. You cannot make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Wal-Mart has done more to help the poor than any government program.

Ricardo's Theory of Comparative Advantage still rings true.
Who said anything about small business owners in rural areas being poor? They were put out of business by the same company they now have to work part time for at close to minimum wage. The town was self sufficient or maybe some also relied on tourism for income, now they end buying their goods and services from the same source they rely on for income.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Have to wait to rep u again. People defending china mart keep saying its a union issue...lol most states are right to work, hence no unions anyway.

The issue imo is quality of life. China mart does not represent what this nation should become, our manufacturing jobs and banking jobs are now offshored, what good is walmart? ?? U can seriously get anything u need on Ebay and at Home Depot or Lowes.

Plus their food dept is dirty and with their history I wouldnt buy dog food there.
About 40% of what Wal-Mart sells is American made. Sorry to burst your China bubble.

I have been in many national and locally owned food stores and some are dirty, some are not.

It is NOT an exclusive of Wal-Mart.

If I happen to go into a dirty store I ask to see the Manager and tell them that that I will NOT shop in their store because it is dirty. Some care some do not.

The 2 Wal-Marts in my are are ALWAYS clean. maybe you live in a dirty part of town?

To deny the unions have NOT conducted an anti-Wal-Mart campaign is to ignore reality.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Just wanted to see what the consensus is on all the jobs that Walmart provides Americans.
I would rather have Americans owning and running small businesses rather than working minimum wage, dead end jobs for Walmart.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:16 PM

Might want to do some more research...

"Wal-Mart has a very close relationship with China," says Duke University Professor Gary Gereffi. "China is the largest exporter to the U.S. economy in virtually all consumer goods categories. Wal-Mart is the leading retailer in the U.S. economy in virtually all consumer goods categories. Wal-Mart and China are a joint venture."

Watch The Full Program Online | Is Wal-Mart Good For America? | FRONTLINE | PBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
About 40% of what Wal-Mart sells is American made. Sorry to burst your China bubble.

I have been in many national and locally owned food stores and some are dirty, some are not.

If I happen to go into a dirty store I ask to see the Manager and tell them that that I will NOT shop in their store because it is dirty. Some care some do not.

The 2 Wal-Marts in my are are ALWAYS clean. maybe you live in a dirty part of town?

To deny the unions have NOT conducted an anti-Wal-Mart campaign is to ignore reality.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I live at University in a big city...

lol. sorry. I refuse to shop in a food store that sells maggot infested rotisserie chicken.

. Walmart is a disgrace to any business model in America. I prefer to shop at Earthfare and not get typhoid disease from employees who dont know enough to wash their hands to prevent staph infection and disease.

did you know the rates of disease , medically speaking, is from employees and meat handlers with poor hygiene?. Hepatitis C for example

Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I live at University in a big city...

lol. sorry. I refuse to shop in a food store that sells maggot infested rotisserie chicken.

. Walmart is a disgrace to any business model in America. I prefer to shop at Earthfare and not get typhoid disease from employees who dont know enough to wash their hands to prevent staph infection and disease.

did you know the rates of disease , medically speaking, is from employees and meat handlers with poor hygiene?. Hepatitis C for example
I have to spread some rep before I can give you more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies