Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather all the people who work at Walmart be unemployed?
Yes 17 20.48%
No 66 79.52%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,098,327 times

Advertisements

I disagree with the assumption that the results can only be identified as cash return on investment for the direct owners. The "most bang for the buck" has rewarded outside investors at great cost to local businesses and citizens. Not counting the damage done invalidates the results of "Comparative Advantage". Like I said it is a justification for economic and business theft by force. This is the basis for Wall Mart and many similar businesses. Local businesses, just like our physically average citizens, need legal protection from the Wall Marts just as average citizens need protection from armed thugs and muggers. Having Wall mart invade and destroy a family business is not different from having the family destroyed by a terrorist raid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,496,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Why the need to put down those who work in the service industry?

I didnt put anyone down. I was just pointing out the obvious. Most employed by wally world would be considered unemployable elsewhere and would be 100% dependant on the social programs you all love so much.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,999,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I disagree with the assumption that the results can only be identified as cash return on investment for the direct owners. The "most bang for the buck" has rewarded outside investors at great cost to local businesses and citizens. Not counting the damage done invalidates the results of "Comparative Advantage". Like I said it is a justification for economic and business theft by force. This is the basis for Wall Mart and many similar businesses. Local businesses, just like our physically average citizens, need legal protection from the Wall Marts just as average citizens need protection from armed thugs and muggers. Having Wall mart invade and destroy a family business is not different from having the family destroyed by a terrorist raid.
Wal-Mart has lowered the costs of feeding and clothing the poor for a couple generations now. They have done more good for the poor than any government program. They have helped the poor without undermining their work ethic. They have utilized the efficiencies, that conservative and liberal economists alike recognize, behind Ricardo's Theory and utilized the power of destructive capitalism to make our lives better. May God bless Wal-Mart.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 AM

Actually by forcing their suppliers to move their production offshore Wall Mart has created the hordes of poor you claim they have helped. They are the essense of Destructive Capitalism you worship. They have done nothing Constructive to replace the destruction they create.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM

23,192 posts, read 26,415,480 times
Quote:
Actually by forcing their suppliers to move their production offshore Wall Mart has created the hordes of poor you claim they have helped. They are the essense of Destructive Capitalism you worship. They have done nothing Constructive to replace the destruction they create.
WalMart forced suppliers?
Is it not more accurate to say that any suppliers that did so made that decision for themselves?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
WalMart forced suppliers?
Is it not more accurate to say that any suppliers that did so made that decision for themselves?

IF one was to beleive gregs original statement, then one could assume walmart shoppers " forced" walmart to do so.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,999,859 times
Quote:
Please, I recent bought a bicycle, found it $20 cheaper at Wal-Mart than anywhere else. Have you ever heard the term consumer surplus? Do you think that is a bunch of BS also?

Once again, through the destructive power of capitalism Wal-Mart has benefitted millions, miillions of consumers who can feed and clothe their families and purchase their prescription medicines at lower prices. They help other businesses who supply them or simply benefit from the fact Wal-Mart consumers still have more money to spend then they had when they had to buy from evil Pop. With this extra money they can spend at other businesses.

Those who bash Wal-Mart have to rely on arguing that almost all economic theory is BS. Ask yourself who is really full of BS.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM

No, Wal-Mart management “forced", by being their supplier's major customer (monosophony), to either do as Wall Mart told them to do or go out of business. This is using economic coercion instead of a free and open market to gain advantage. Wall Mart shoppers had nothing to do with their decisions to dominate both ends of the retail market. Wall Mart, and their ilk, is an economic disease not a savior. It should be broken up into individual firms and its supply and distribution system open to all.

In response to you thinly veiled insult I will state that I have studied “Capitalist” economics and, aside from wondering when any business community will actually try the theory, I concluded it was not a scientifically valid theory but a self serving collection of assumptions and predetermined conclusions very similar to all the other religions. Although there are many reasons for the great growth of poverty and income disparity in this country I have concluded that the great growth in “discount” marketing chains along with the concurrent off shoring of industrial production is the major reason for the decline of our working and shop owning segment’s prosperity. There have been far more poor people created than aided or eliminated by these changes in mass market retailing into a closely guarded oligopoly.

I have studied capitalist economics and modern business theory and concluded they were a framework and a working manual for economic terrorism. We need something that serves all of our population if we are to maintain our individual economic and political freedoms.

Last edited by GregW; 01-09-2012 at 07:20 AM..

Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM

14,829 posts, read 14,850,173 times
I'd rather WalMart employees not be intimidated by management against making their jobs unionized, which would help them gain better benefits and merit increases...something already enjoyed by workers at Meijer, Kroger, Safeway, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
No, Wal-Mart management “forced", by being their supplier's major customer (monosophony), to either do as Wall Mart told them to do or go out of business. This is using economic coercion instead of a free and open market to gain advantage. Wall Mart shoppers had nothing to do with their decisions to dominate both ends of the retail market. Wall Mart, and their ilk, is an economic disease not a savior. It should be broken up into individual firms and its supply and distribution system open to all

If walmart shoppers refused to shop there , walmart would be the one going out of business. To give the consumer a walk while placing all the blame on wally world is blind decision making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies