Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather all the people who work at Walmart be unemployed?
Yes 17 20.48%
No 66 79.52%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to see what the consensus is on all the jobs that Walmart provides Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
This poll is less biased than the question "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Old 12-12-2011, 09:13 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
I'm not a WalMart hater. I shop there on occassion. I don't think they are particularly evil, but I would like to see their full-time employees making enough money to support themselves without public assistance. Why is that unreasonable?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not a WalMart hater. I shop there on occassion. I don't think they are particularly evil, but I would like to see their full-time employees making enough money to support themselves without public assistance. Why is that unreasonable?
That's retail in general. I think Wal-Mart gets an unreasonable amount of blame for what ills the retail industry. Too many jobs don't pay a living wage in retail, nor do they offer any benefits but when you really think about it is Wal-Mart really any worse (or better) than any other retailer?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If they can't make "enough money to support themselves" working at Wal-Mart, then they should get a job someplace else. Why is that unreasonable?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Obviously they support themselves, as they show up for work, clothed and fed. One simply needs to live within their means, and their skill sets, education, training, and work ethic will play the largest roles in their earnings capabilities.

I've noticied none of the haters had the GUTS to answer the poll.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That's retail in general. I think Wal-Mart gets an unreasonable amount of blame for what ills the retail industry. Too many jobs don't pay a living wage in retail, nor do they offer any benefits but when you really think about it is Wal-Mart really any worse (or better) than any other retailer?
Wal-Mart is the biggest, so they lead the industry for good or for ill. I agree with you though. Saying you hate Wal-Mart is as silly as saying you hate McDonald's and then eating at Burger King. I try to "shop local" when possible, and I don't mind paying more to do so. I would rather my money go to an independent business owner and his or her handful of employees rather than a big box. However, that's not very possible these days. There aren't many independents left.

I don't think that retail should pay outlandishly high wages. I don't think that someone working the night shift at WalMart should make $50,000 a year; however, on the other hand, I don't think that a fulltime employee should be on food stamps either. Personally, I think that there is some meat on the bone at the top to pay higher wages to the bottom so the public doesn't have to subsidize an artificially cheap labor force.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
If they can't make "enough money to support themselves" working at Wal-Mart, then they should get a job someplace else. Why is that unreasonable?
They go get another job, but Wal-Mart hires someone else who has to rely on public assistance? How is that any good? It's public assistance for Wal-Mart employees that I'm trying to eliminate here.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Obviously they support themselves, as they show up for work, clothed and fed. One simply needs to live within their means, and their skill sets, education, training, and work ethic will play the largest roles in their earnings capabilities.

I've noticied none of the haters had the GUTS to answer the poll.
Compliments of the U.S. taxpayer in some cases. Is that right to you?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
I wouldn't mind if they were able to keep the thousands of jobs Walmart eliminated either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies