Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,408,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Just in case you won't bother to go back and find my link, I've carried it over above for you.
Ted Rall is one of the worst cartoonists out there, and I have no problem saying that that comic was offensive, and worse, horribly drawn!

Didn't we have pretty much this exact same story as a topic a few days ago? And didn't we have pretty much the exact same deflections from people who don't understand that there is a history of racist rhetoric comparing black people to apes, and that there is no such history of such racist rhetoric with white people?

I'm also going to note that I did not see a single conservative actually condemning this email. Apparently there's no conservative in here who thinks that email was wrong. If I missed posts about this in among all the myriad "But somebody once put up a crass picture comparing Bush to a chimp!" deflections, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM

19,963 posts, read 12,256,178 times
I don't remember outrage over the racists who when asked what to do with Clarence Thomas responded with such disgusting comments as "put him back in the field", "string him up" and "hang him". Outrage against racism tends to be one-sided.

YouTube - "Progressive" Ralliers Call for Lynching of Clarence Thomas

Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,313,567 times

I think Obama is a weak monkey based on his actions and that thought isn't from racism.
I think Rove is a monkey.
I think Beck is a monkey.
I think Van Jones is a monkey.

Lots of people can be perceived as monkeys without racial components IMO.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,010,804 times
Is the entire Tea Party a bunch of racists, NO. Is there a large segment of the Tea Party that are racists, it sure looks that way. FYI; defending the actions mentioned in the orginal post makes you either someone that has apsolutely no clue why this is offensive or you agree with them and are a racist yourself, pick one.
Casper

Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,408,496 times
[UPDATED: Baugh is Powerless] Racist Orange County Republican Email: President Obama and His Parents Are Apes - Orange County News - Navel Gazing

Quote:
Marilyn Davenport sent an email to fellow Orange County Republican elected officials, apologizing if anyone was offended by her depicting President Barack Obama as an ape--while also blasting the "liberal media" for reporting the story.

"I simply found it amusing regarding the character of Obama and all the questions surrounding his origin of birth," Davenport wrote. "In no way did I even consider the fact he's half black when I sent out the email. In fact, the thought never entered my mind until one or two other people [Scott Baugh, Orange County GOP boss, and this writer] tried to make this about race..."
Davenport here is on such thin ice already, and she then goes and says something like that in a public statement? What a maroon.

Quote:
I don't remember outrage over the racists who when asked what to do with Clarence Thomas responded with such disgusting comments as "put him back in the field", "string him up" and "hang him". Outrage against racism tends to be one-sided.
Never seen that video before, but that guy is a total idiot and his race baiting comments have no place in our society. I still haven't seen any posts from conservatives actually saying that the email Davenport sent out was racist or inappropriate. Blind loyalty to anybody who calls herself a tea partier?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,936,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've seen online pictures of Bush depicted as a monkey some liberal thought would be a cruel joke whats the difference?
What elected officials emailed pictures of GWB depicted as a monkey? We would like to know so that we can inform Fox News!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,936,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
This thread is another example of the hypocritical nature of the *******s.
Are you in support of this email that was sent?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,501,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What elected officials emailed pictures of GWB depicted as a monkey? We would like to know so that we can inform Fox News!
They might not have emailed monkey pictures, but when the children were leaving the Clinton Administration they removed all the "W's" from all the keyboards to F with GWB.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM

39,955 posts, read 26,711,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I still haven't seen any posts from conservatives actually saying that the email Davenport sent out was racist or inappropriate. Blind loyalty to anybody who calls herself a tea partier?
Just to make it clear, I'm a fiscal conservative, and consider it inappropriate when sent by an elected official. If it's a private person, it's still offensive, but it's their business. As to racist-FAIL. Racism is in the eye of the person making the statement, no one knows exactly what that person was implying. Were the pictures of GWBs face imposed on a monky offensive? Yes. Were they racist? I don't think so. Libbies want a free pass for Obama because of his race. Grow up and put some big-boy pants on.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 AM

39,955 posts, read 26,711,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They might not have emailed monkey pictures, but when the children were leaving the Clinton Administration they removed all the "W's" from all the keyboards to F with GWB.
And yes, they were as childish and immature as the person that sent the email in the OP. Perhaps worse...they were EMPLOYEES of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, the freekin' white house of all places. Acting like a bunch of 8 year olds. Did GWBs administration leave bananas or watermellons all over the WH? Or did they display some class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies