Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,219,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
An incensed federal judge sentenced a racist Brooklyn woman to indefinite jury duty on Tuesday after she trashed the NYPD and minorities. "This is an outrage, and so are you!" Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis told the woman, holding up her bile-filled juror questionnaire.

Juror No. 799, an Asian woman in her 20s who said she works in the garment industry, was up for jury duty in the death penalty trial of Bonanno crime boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano.

Read more: Judge gives 'Juror No. 799' indefinite jury duty after she makes racist remarks on questionnaire

I would love this kind of duty. anything that I can do to mess up the federal goverment would be a godsend, and with the federal legal systems blessing too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 PM

2,623 posts, read 3,157,491 times
By the same token, don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer. No one would want to be among the 3 she chose.

I remember a seminar I was forced to attend at work 20 years ago. I had already heard from a good source that it was a waste of time, nothing but hype and buzzwords. We were asked to complete a questionnaire at the end, whether it was helpful or not. Instructor said, "give your honest opinion, no wrong answers here". I wasn't nasty, but wrote that I didn't think it was relevant to any of our problems at the time, and believe me, we had lots of problems. The instructor stopped me as I was leaving and scolded me for criticizing his class. My supervisor also called me in next day, asking why I ticked him off. So much for straight answers to simple questions.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,746,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Rule # 2 - Don't pisz off a juror.
yes, she could claim she is claustrophobic and that she goes into racial rants when confined in small court rooms

god damit,,!! that beach is freakin guilty, i tell ya there all guilty!! guilty!! guilty!!!that fat lady killed that little skinny guy.!!! i tell ya it was the fat lady, she did it.. im sure she did it..and that stupid red head helped her do it..

Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,341,819 times
In the case of a Mafia prosecution, don't pizz off the defendant.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,047,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Judge=ultimate power trip
Totally agree. The judge should be removed from the bench. Its not illegal to be racist & forcing this woman to serve jury duty is not a good idea esp if the one on trial is of another race.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,341,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
well she had it coming
She was begging for it.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,405,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Totally agree. The judge should be removed from the bench. Its not illegal to be racist & forcing this woman to serve jury duty is not a good idea esp if the one on trial is of another race.
Why are you assuming that this prospective juror was being truthful on the questionnaire? The juror also sassed the judge, according to the article, when the judge asked her about her answers. Lying on a court document and talking back to a judge (yes, the way her answer reads comes off as backtalk) are two good enough reasons for a judge to hold her in contempt and order some form of punishment, here, having to spend more time on jury duty.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,503,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Uh, how many people here think she was deliberately trying to get out of being a juror in a mob trial?

I have insulated myself from being recruited for jury duty, so I don't have to worry about answering juror questions and ****ing off the judge.

One time I went through the "voir dire" and I said to myself, I have no desire to ever go through that again.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'm no legal expert, but I don't believe he can actually "sentence" her to serve jury dutyfor any length of time, let alone indefinitely.

I think a judge can find a potential juror in contempt and compel them to serve for the duration of the trial at hand. I think mob trials tend to take longer than average, so this could be awhile.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaygirl View Post
LOL, I love this story!

She was definetly trying to get out of jury duty by putting absurd answers to questions! I read a longer article about this and it was really obvious from her (not very serious) answers. I'm pretty sure it's ILLEGAL to try to get out of jury duty this way, hence the judge's anger.

You just have to be more creative in trying to get out of jury duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies