Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 01:08 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,583,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Its a good thing that Obama isn't a british subject.

But please, tell me where in those qualifications does it say "cannot hold citizenship of another country"

Cause that would have also negated:
Kennedy (he is born of an Irish grandfather, and Irish Citizenship is passed down through the father)
Thomas Jefferson (became a French Citizen prior to becoming President)
Now you're being ridiculous, you have to be smarter than this.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,346,208 times
Quote:
Thomas Jefferson (became a French Citizen prior to becoming President)
The constitution exempted him from that requirement - not so for Obama.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,281,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
the part about the definition of natural born being of 2 U.S. citizens or not. It's simply not logical to dispute that.
and you've been told that this is a lie. Not supported by 200 years of jurisprudence.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/18821138-post2500.html

Old 04-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Now you're being ridiculous, you have to be smarter than this.
I am not being ridiculous. The is quite clear on what you have to be in order to be a president.

Please show us where it says "cannot hold citizenship of another country"

And why did you ignore that Kennedy was an Irish Citizen by birth (through his father - as defined by Irish Citizenship laws), and that Thomas Jefferson was a French Citizen (became one voluntarily) before he was President?

That's two instances in history (past and modern) that would have not qualified under your loose interpretation

Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The constitution exempted him from that requirement - not so for Obama.

Uh no it didn't. Jefferson became a French Citizen after the adoption of the US Constitution.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Uh no it didn't. Jefferson became a French Citizen after the adoption of the US Constitution.

A general abridgment and digest of ... - Google Books

Quote:
According to the usages and understanding of all nations a man may have all the rights of a naturalized citizen or subject in his adopted country, and yet retain all his relations, civil and political, in his native country. For instances, the Marqui La Fayette was naturalized in the United States, but retained every such relation to France. So Mr. Jefferson was naturalized in France and there made a French citizen, and he had gone there would have been entitled to all the rights there of an adopted citizen, but he certainly retained all his relations to the United States, his rights and duties as a native citizen, and was in fact after such naturalization, elected President of the United States.

Jefferson was an Ambassador to France from 1785 - 1789 . During that time he received and was naturalized as a French Citizen, before being elected to POTUS in 1801.

Last edited by Arus; 04-24-2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,489,498 times
Quote:
It's simply not logical to dispute that.
then please point out a single constitutional expert that agrees with your stance.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
then please point out a single constitutional expert that agrees with your stance.
Now you've gone and done it...

Now we'll have to spend the rest of the thread debunking the birther list of constitutional experts instead of debating the substance.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,033,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What is your issue with the date? People were clamoring for a copy, so he ordered one; big deal.

All this conjecture. I believe it as you who said your husband lost his. Obama had a US passport for travel. He didn't need a bc close at hand. He found it in his mother's things. Maybe it's in a box in someone's garage now.
Obama needed a birth certificate to get a passport. He
states in his book he had/saw a birth certificate in High School - needed it to get a S.S. card. So, I would be curious to see a photocopy of his birth certificate stamped from an earlier period of time in his life. I know Obama was not hatched from an egg. Everyone born in the 1960's has a paper trail. I do, you do, my husband does.
And so did Obama before 2007.

And, I've been reading this:

[§338-17.8] Certificates for children born out of State. (a) Upon application of an adult or the legal parents of a minor child, the director of health shall issue a birth certificate for such adult or minor, provided that proof has been submitted to the director of health that the legal parents of such individual while living without the Territory or State of Hawaii had declared the Territory or State of Hawaii as their legal residence for at least one year immediately preceding the birth or adoption of such child.

There is a difference between COLBs issued to those who were born in hospitals with full documentation and those who were given Hawaiian birth status through an affidavit process.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:40 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,583,895 times
Quote:
I am not being ridiculous. The is quite clear on what you have to be in order to be a president.

Please show us where it says "cannot hold citizenship of another country"

And why did you ignore that Kennedy was an Irish Citizen by birth (through his father - as defined by Irish Citizenship laws), and that Thomas Jefferson was a French Citizen (became one voluntarily) before he was President?

That's two instances in history (past and modern) that would have not qualified under your loose interpretation
"under the jurisdiction of" doesn't mean dual countries.

The focus of this thread is our current President, however, I do not believe Jefferson renounced his citizenship. You are playing a trick suggesting that because he lived there, he was a citizen of France. He was minister to France 1784-1789.
My grandfather was Irish, that does not make me Irish. My father was a U.S. citizen, as my mother, and I was born here, making me a natural born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies