Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,204,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Do we have an objective definition of 'race'? The truth is 'race' is completely subjective and worthless.

Just because two things are correlated (crime and minorities) does not mean that one causes the other.

While I understand that there is no absolute definition of race. Even before bi-racial children became more common, there is always the question of where one race begins and the next one ends. Even the white-nationalist stormfronters argue about whether or not Romanians are "white". Or are Turks white? Are Italians white? What about southern Italians(Sicilians)? The term Caucasians would even include north-Africans and many middle-easterners.

No matter how silly some of these arguments are, by pretending that the basic assumptions of "Race" are somehow socially fabricated is ignoring reality. There are very distinct differences from one group of people to another, in far more than just skin pigment. They can already take your DNA and show your ancestry to a relatively small area of the world, with very high accuracy. They can even show what percentages of each major lineages a person is.

As for crime rates of blacks vs socio-economic status. I have not found any statistics at all that compare rich white kids to rich black kids in terms of crime rates. I have found one article discussing rich black kids dropping out of school, and generally having very poor grades, compared to equally economically advantaged white kids.

Rich, Black, Flunking | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

I would not be surprised at all to find crime rates much higher in affluent black neighborhoods compared to aflluent white neighborhoods. Although I would concur that the rates within the black neighborhood would be far lower than the poor black neighborhoods.

As for the general issue of poverty and crime. The poorest state in the country(West Virginia) is also something like 95% white. And has the 39th lowest crime rate in the country.

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Violent Crime Rate

The 11 states with the lowest violent crime are. Maine, North Dakota, Vermont, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Utah, Rhode Island, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Kentucky, then West Virginia. And many of those states are not wealthy at all. And all of them are overwhelmingly white.

Now compare that list with this list.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

See a pattern?

Whether or not the wealthy black dropout rate will lead them to high crime rates(something like 60% of all black male dropouts will go to prison in their lifetimes) I don't know. And whether or not those patterns are cultural or genetic is another thing that I do not know the answer to. But there is such a high connection between being black and being a dropout and a violent criminal with a low IQ. That is becomes really difficult to try to explain it away with the old fallback of "racism" and "white priviledge".

If hypothetically there was a genetic nature to these behavior patterns, then what should be done about it? By bringing it out in the open, you will only make the matter worse. It will only feed racism. It will only push blacks further down the economic ladder. Which will only worsen crime in the black community. So what is the best policy? Deny it all. Prevent researchers from doing these "studies" by prohibiting them funding, and use the media to brand anyone who would pursue such a study, as an evil racist. To either get them fired, or put economic pressure on whatever company or individual that supports the research.

As long as we keep telling ourselves that no differences exist. Then people will have no rational basis for opposing things like more immigration and interracial couplings. Is that really what you believe?

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
As for the general issue of poverty and crime. The poorest state in the country(West Virginia) is also something like 95% white. And has the 39th lowest crime rate in the country.

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Violent Crime Rate

The 11 states with the lowest violent crime are. Maine, North Dakota, Vermont, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Utah, Rhode Island, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Kentucky, then West Virginia. And many of those states are not wealthy at all. And all of them are overwhelmingly white.

Now compare that list with this list.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

See a pattern?
I do

List of U.S. states by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

State - Population Density Rank:
Maine - 38
North Dakota - 47
Vermont - 30
New Hampshire - 21
South Dakota - 46
Utah - 41
Rhode Island - 2
Wyoming - 49
Idaho - 44
Montana - 48

4 of the 5 least populous states are in the 10 states with the least crime
5 of the 7 least populous states are in the 10 states with the least crime
7 of the 13 least populous states are in the 10 states with the least crime

The pattern that I see there is a correlation between population density and crime.

I see another pattern.

When charting Population Density Rank to 'White Alone' (whatever that is) Rank (from the link you provided ) there is a correlation of .41. Ergo, living far from your neighbors must cause people to be white. Correct?

No. Probably not. Just because two things are correlated doesn't mean that one is the cause of the other.

Quote:
As long as we keep telling ourselves that no differences exist. Then people will have no rational basis for opposing things like more immigration and interracial couplings. Is that really what you believe?

Yes. I do believe that there is no rational reason to oppose immigration based upon race. I also believe that there is no rational basis for opposing interracial couplings.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Oh bull****. In 3 years in the criminal justice system I can tell you your little stereotype is all jacked up. What do you think most of the drug dealers inside of prison are in there for dealing? Pot? Get over yourself. Cocaine and heroin are not "white collar drugs," they perhaps used to be but that's far from reality today.

What does dealing cocaine have to do with using it? I don't see how this is going over your head... who do you actually think can afford to use cocaine? Those "gangsta n*ggas in da hood" as theunbrainwashed so ignorantly put it, or those silicon valley/wall street/etc. millionaires/billionaires?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Wall Street Drug Use: Employees Giving Up Cocaine for Pot and Pills - Deal Journal - WSJ

"Last year, cocaine showed up in 7% of the positive tests at Wall Street firms, down from 16% in 2007, according to Sterling, a New York-based firm that screens about 5,900 employees a year for some 270 finance shops."

That's only ONE firm, and I'm willing to bet you not one of these 944 or so people were arrested between 07 and now for cocaine use. Care to riddle me that?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This circle jerk between Maddow and Moore is pretty funny.

Breitbart.tv » Michael Moore: People Own Guns Because They’re Racist
Whoa -- Mikhail Moron said something stupid and inflammatory? Like, stop the presses & stuff.

One of these days maybe people around here will stop acting shocked and astounded when a known polemicist says something controversial. But that's probably too much to hope for.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,204,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I do

List of U.S. states by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

State - Population Density Rank:
Maine - 38
North Dakota - 47
Vermont - 30
New Hampshire - 21
South Dakota - 46
Utah - 41
Rhode Island - 2
Wyoming - 49
Idaho - 44
Montana - 48

4 of the 5 least populous states are in the 10 states with the least crime
5 of the 7 least populous states are in the 10 states with the least crime
7 of the 13 least populous states are in the 10 states with the least crime

The pattern that I see there is a correlation between population density and crime.

I see another pattern.

When charting Population Density Rank to 'White Alone' (whatever that is) Rank (from the link you provided ) there is a correlation of .41. Ergo, living far from your neighbors must cause people to be white. Correct?

No. Probably not. Just because two things are correlated doesn't mean that one is the cause of the other.
You aren't exactly making fair comparisons in terms of actual population density vs relative population density. And what I mean is, if you look at Alaska. Its population density is the lowest in the country, with an extremely low 1.22 persons per sq mile. Yet, it is the 6th most violent state in the country. On the other hand, you have Rhode Island which is the second most densely populated state in the country, with a density of 1,008 persons per sq mile. And it is the 7th most safe state in the country.

Secondly, you are saying that only 7 of the top 13 least densely populated states are the safest states. Not really statistically important in my opinion.

And obviously living far from your neighbors doesn't cause people to be white. But there are far more white people living far from their neighbors than minorities. Why? Because more white people seem to want to live in rural/suburban/exurban communities.

Rural America in the 2000s: Population | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural

Whites are about 60% more likely to live in rural areas than blacks, and about 100% more likely to live in rural areas than hispanics. So a state with high percentages of white people will of course tend to have a much lower population density than states with larger numbers of minorities.

So instead of looking at the population of the entire state, we should look at relative population density. Because while Alaska's population density seems low, about half of the entire state lives in the Anchorage metropolitan area. In Nevada(which has the third highest crime rate in the country), more than 80% of the entire population of Nevada lives in Las Vegas, the rest of the state is basically empty. On the other hand, the largest city in Rhode Island, Providence, actually has more population in its metropolitan area than the entire state of Rhode Island, because it also includes parts of Massachusetts.

It is pretty difficult to draw a line from population density to crime rate. Japan for instance has some of the highest population density in the world, and one of the lowest crime rates in the world. While, as you said, many of the states with the lowest crimes rates also have some of the most dispersed populations(The Dakota's, Nebraska, Vermont, etc). And rural areas in general tend to have lower crime rates than urban areas.

There is only one thing that is consistent across the entire country. Wherever there is a sizeable population of poor blacks, there is high crime. There is no where in this country that breaks that mold. The only state where there are high numbers of poor minorities and relatively low crime rates, is Hawaii. But the minorities there are Pacific Islanders(basically Southeast Asians).

Like I said, I would like to find more information about average crime rates of affluent blacks vs average crime rates of affluent whites. I have not been able to find such statistics. I can link here, which discusses "white-collar crime"(and sure, it is wikipedia, I am sure I could find the actual page the information comes from, if I want to bother).

Race and crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It states that 33.4% of all embezzlers are African-Americans(who are only 13% of the population). Emblezzling is usually more an "affluent" crime. That statistic could mean that general crime rates would be that much higher in affluent black areas than in affluent white areas. And since we know the school dropout rates of affluent blacks tend to be much higher than in affluent whites. It would not surprise me if that was the outcome.

That still isn't enough "proof" to give a definitive reason for why crime is so common in the black demographic. There are plenty of other factors that could be used to explain away part of the gap. Such as black culture, legacy of slavery/racism, white favoritism, police bias, etc.

I personally believe it is a lot of different things.

I think it is A) Black culture, B) A level of police bias(especially racial profiling). C) Not as much poverty, but more severe income disparity in a single region/district(income diversity if you will). D) Certain genetic risk factors, such as the impulsivity generally associated with high levels of testosterone(in which blacks tend to have much higher levels than whites, and asians much lower than whites). Or relative intelligence gaps, which might make people more likely to commit crime(not fully realizing the risks, or understanding the effects of their actions). Or even that the lower intelligence persons are more likely to get caught, while more intelligent people may never be convicted of the crime, so in effect, their relative crime numbers could just appear lower.

Quote:
Yes. I do believe that there is no rational reason to oppose immigration based upon race. I also believe that there is no rational basis for opposing interracial couplings.
Honestly, the only rational argument for why immigration and interracial couplings shouldn't be an issue. Is a matter of freedom. In that, people should be free to travel where they want, and marry who they want.

I could unroll a whole slew of arguments for why both have a negative effect on this country, and us individually.

If you don't understand how terribly violent and divided this country is, you obviously don't look much around much. To believe that throwing in millions upon millions of more "outsiders" into this country, and for that to mean we will become somehow more peaceful and more tolerant of each other, is an ideal that just hasn't panned out in reality.

Schools are more seggregated today than in the 1950's. They are doing a full-scale repeal on forced bussing and other forced integration of school districts, as it has been a dismal failure. More and more states are declaring affirmative-action programs to be unconstitutional. And the backlash against illegals, and the surge of far right-wing politics into the national discourse, should be an indication that such an ideal is simply not working.

Our economy is failing, the gap between rich and poor continues to grow. The income disparity will continue to grow, and without government to try to uphold some semblence of income-equality, minorities will inevitably fall more and more into that economic chasm of despair. There has already been huge discussion over the stark drop in minority enrollment once affirmative-action polices were repealed in some of our US colleges.

Diversity in Higher Education: Research: Pursuing Campus Diversity After Affirmative Action: An Assessment of Class Rank Plans for College Admissions

Diversity is not some magic word that brings sunshine and happiness wherever it goes. Diversity should be a curse-word, for it brings nothing but misery and exploitation wherever it goes.

Ask yourself why so many immigrants come to this country to begin with. Why are the illegal immigrants here? Sure, you could make the argument that "they want to make a better life for themselves and their families". And sure that is true to an extent. But the real reason they are here, is because they are cheap labor. Plus, they are so desperate to stay in their "better lives", that they are more likely to stick with the company that provided them employment, and to work harder than their American counterpart.

We want cheap labor, the only reason we ever opened up immigration from non-European countries, was because Europeans weren't coming to America anymore. And the Europeans that were, didn't come out of desperation, and so they wouldn't work for the really cheap wages we were offering(no more Irish potato famine /cry).

Look at the "Great migration", which occurred during World War II. Where large numbers of southern blacks moved to cities in the North. Do you think it was because the Northern blacks were happy to have them? No. Its because we were in a war, and we needed cheap, readily available labor. And Northern industry was more than happy to exploit those poor blacks.

To businesses, thats all minorites are, cheap labor. China doesn't allow immigration because China doesn't need immigration. It has plenty of poor rural Chinese to exploit, and plenty more non-Han chinese to exploit.

Interracial marriages have proven to be nothing more than completely destabilizing to this country. With the highest divorce rates in the country being black/white marriages(even higher than black/black marriages). And with other cross-racial marriages also being of higher likelihood for divorce than same-race couples of any demographic.

The children of interracial couples are more likely to have mental illness, to abuse drugs, to commit suicide, and to have many other issues.

A POSITIVE APPROACH TO IDENTITY FORMATION OF BIRACIAL CHILDREN (http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/final.paper.pub/_pwfsfp/00000085.htm - broken link)

Biracial Asian-Americans Twice As Likely To Have Psychological Disorders

Illicit Drug Use, by Race/Ethnicity, in Metropolitan and Non-Metropolitan Counties: 2004 and 2005, SAMHSA, Office of Applied Studies

The question isn't whether or not all of this is true. The question is, "So what?" What kinds of options do we realistically have? Being racist/xenophobic/isolationist/seggregationalist? Dividing the country(or the world) up into non-diverse enclaves, with basically no freedom to travel?

There are already many countries that have "Balkanized" in recent years. Dividing themselves up ethnically or religiously(former Yugoslavia). You have part of the Sudan, which should be breaking off into a new country soon. The Kurds in northern Iraq/Eastern Turkey have been wanting to create their own country for a very long time. You have Chechnya in Russia that wants to break away. You have Tibet in China. Even Quebec has been threatening to break away from Canada for years and years and years. Then you have Texas and other states that have tossed around the idea. It just surprises me that people are so adamantly opposed to the notion of secession. When Americans should be more inviting to the concepts of secession than most any other people on this earth. But we aren't.

The problems we have in this country are very real, but they are also unfixable based on our current values. So, in many ways we are better off pretending these problems don't exist at all, because it is easier to deal with the world if we aren't obsessing over its negative aspects all the time.

Basically, ignorance is bliss. I know I was a lot happier before I found out what the world was really like.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-20-2011 at 03:56 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
He was also talking about Canada having a lower gun homicide rate despite having so many hunters. I think there are fewer minorities up there, right/ So he wants to take guns out of the hands of minorities and everybody else for everybody's benefit.
So he is a racist.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:21 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
He was also talking about Canada having a lower gun homicide rate despite having so many hunters. I think there are fewer minorities up there, right/ So he wants to take guns out of the hands of minorities and everybody else for everybody's benefit.
So he is a racist.

Couldn't rep you again, Icy Tea (gotta spread it around), but . Do you think he really wants to take the guns away from the MINORITIES though?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So he is a racist.
I wouldn't doubt it. But I also think there are some mental issues going on with Mke Moore. He seems very unstable and unbalanced.

His anger and bitterness to anyone who disagrees with him is frightening.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I wouldn't doubt it. But I also think there are some mental issues going on with Mke Moore. He seems very unstable and unbalanced.

His anger and bitterness to anyone who disagrees with him is frightening.
Nah, he's just a savvy businessman and those that actually fall for his rhetoric are the suckers. He's made himself quite rich espousing America as such a terrible place to live and yet makes no move to find another country that is "better".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies