Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:45 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,887,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
So what's that bolded stat mean? How do they know that? They don't, they get drug user statistics largely from jail and prison stats. That statistic sounds made up out of thin air. Not to mention they don't differentiate between different kinds of drugs. Also, using drugs isn't a crime that gets one arrest and sentenced to any lengthy term. In fact most "drug related" convicts I met in prison weren't there for using, they were there for attempting to sell. Now conspiracy to sell, that will get you some time. So you could say "whites use drugs five times more often than blacks," but all that means is perhaps a lot more white smoke marijuana, while blacks are harder drugs like coke and heroin. Not to mention most gangs are in the drug trade, and most gangs are populated by minorities so it only makes since that more minorities are incarcerated for drugs.

Also, blacks involved in gangs more often than not have a rap sheet longer than Santa's List so that plays another factor in sentencing and why a black may get incarcerated for something a white first time offender gets probation for. It's a lot more complex than that website makes it out to be. But I'm sure in the end the Justice system is just "RACIST!" Evil whitey is at it again, oppressing these poor victims of society!

No, it doesn't "only make more sense" that more minorities are incarcerated for drugs than white people. More white people use drugs than minorities... fact. And wrong on both counts... who do you think can numerically and on average afford cocaine and heroin? If there is such thing as a white collar drug, cocaine is it.

In other news, there are about 5 times as many white people as there are blacks. Interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,416,100 times
Quote:
JESUS CHRIST MORON CANNOT YOU NOT COMPREHEND BASIC STATISTICS?

Again the numbers are Whites:65% of the US population/13% of the prison population Blacks and Hispanics:27% of the US population/80% of the prison population.
Don't they teach that correlation does not equal causation in basic statistics anymore?

Quote:
Yes in your world but in reality, having worked in corrections for going on 3 years I can telly you who commits the vast majority of violent crime, and crime in general in America. If you look at the raw numbers I'm sure you'll pull some stat out where Whites committed more but considering we're a 60%+ majority in this country we probably should. However if you look at it PROPORTIONATELY you'll find that minorities are committing a crime like it's going out of style.

Race and crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if you total Hispanics and Blacks they equal roughly 27% of the total US population yet they make up over 80% of the prison population! Holy crap artsy, that's what we in law enforcement refer to as a "trend."

BUT, all of this is meaningless as I'm sure you'll take this chance to educate me, the un-enlightened bigotracistredneckwhitecracker on how "racist" the justice system is and these poor innocent victims of society are just being targeted by the "man."
Have these statistics been regressed to account for things like socio-economic class?

If they haven't then they are basically useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Prove it. I'm a Rican living in a white neighborhood and no one's pulling guns on people here. 4 miles down the road and into the city where more than half of the people are minorities, there's shootings going on every week. Epic fail
Is the neighborhood '4 miles down the road' comparable in terms of socio-economic class?

Quote:
You know you have YET to post a link backing you up. Also let's state the obvious. Inner city areas have the most crime in the country. They have high minority populations as well. Now if your theory holds true and white people are a bunch of uncivilized murderous savages the opposite should be true. Inner city areas should be safe areas while the white populated suburbs should be crime ridden. What's real life bear out?
Quote:
If I live in an area with a high minority population I am far more likely to be victimized by crime than a majority white area.
Do you think that that would hold true if you lived in a affluent high-minority area vs a poor 'white' area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
A good half of this board needs to go back to English class or pick up a book more often.
Some math, statistics, science and logic classes wouldn't hurt either.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 AM

324 posts, read 577,270 times
Well, if they outlawed guns then I don't see the point of having a gun in the first place. Aren't guns used to deter other guns? It's a vicious cycle.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,425,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So then what did hefty the hippo mean when he allegedly insinuated that gun owners are racist?
Is this thread about Limbaugh?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 AM

14,845 posts, read 8,292,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Well, if they outlawed guns then I don't see the point of having a gun in the first place. Aren't guns used to deter other guns? It's a vicious cycle.
Guns are used to deter violence.

As the old saying goes. God created man and woman. Samuel Colt made them equal.

I am a fairly young man, 6'2" and 200 pounds. I generally don't have much to worry about when I go walking around at night. I've been in some of the more rough areas of this country. And I sort of have this almost air of invincibility when I walk around, because I feel like there is no single person who is really going to come along giving me trouble.

But, I am actually the only son of my mother, whom had three daughters. I have no children myself, but I have several nieces. And I don't even like the idea of them walking around in my neighborhood at night(and it is one of the nicer neighborhoods in my city). I wouldn't want them walking around most areas of my city(Oklahoma city) even during the day, by themselves.

And before you start saying that I am being overprotective or outright delusional. Understand that I didn't exactly come from a priviledged background. When I was born, my mother lived in federal public housing(I actually only found this out recently as I was looking at my birth certificate). We lived in several different public housing complexes in my lifetime.

I lived in some of the rougher areas of this city, where drugs, gangs, and just total lack of morals was the norm. Up until I was about 15 years old, my life was in utter turmoil almost continuously. As we were getting shuffled from place to place. I've lived with several relatives, who didn't exactly have room for my mother and her four kids. I've slept on couches, and slept on the floor(on palettes, is what we were used to calling them), for months at a time. I've come from absolutely nothing. So I have absolutely no sympathies for the absolute filth of the world.

And I know it is wrong to lump certain groups of people together, at the same time it is almost impossible to separate them.

I remember being at a wal-mart once, and I have a tendency to sort of "power walk" everywhere I go. Keep in mind, I was only about 21 at the time, I was in great shape, big 6'2" 200 pound guy. So I'm walking and theres this old lady in front of me, and as I start to catch up to her, she notices me, then she starts walking faster and faster. And I'm like, this is weird, so I just want to go around her. And as I speed up, she speeds up. Then all of the sudden she just stops and throws herself over her purse, which is sitting in the childseat area of her basket. Which was a total shock to me at the time, I was appalled that she thought I would steal her purse. Hell, if she had a gun, she might have pulled it out and shot me. I don't know now that I look back. But do I feel angry about it? No. I used to get pulled over by the cops all the time when I was young. Was it annoying? Yes. Did I complain about it back then? Yes. Do I understand now? Yes. And do I feel sorry for the other kids that looked like me that get treated the same way? Very few of them.

Because I know why they do it, I've seen the filth of the world first hand, and I don't blame them for not trusting me. I definitely looked the part of filth. And as long as there is filth in this world, none of us are free.

If I was a woman, I would be downright pissed to no end that a man could walk the neighborhood at night, but I am locked up in my home because I am afraid of the bad people in this world. And maybe nothing will happen to me, today, tomorrow, this month, this year, or ever. But it happens all the time. There are about 100,000 rapes in this country every single year. That is about one rape every 5 minutes. There is almost one robbery every minute in this country. So to pretend that it doesn't happen, or that it will never happen to you, is stupid.

If I was a woman, I would carry at least one gun on me at all times. And also pepper spray on my keychain. Then I might actually feel as free and liberated, as I currently do, as a man.

Hell, I'm angry right now because despite being in a fairly nice area of town. There is someone getting into peoples cars at night in my neighborhood. They broke into my neighbors work van and stole about $7,000 worth of tools. They broke into my friends van and stole his very nice car battery charger and some other tools. They got into my car, but I had nothing in there to steal. And I find it sad and despicable, that such filth live among us.

And before you people start making excuses for them. Keep in mind, thats where I came from, I know exactly the environment they came from, and I have absolutely no sympathies for them. And these laws that seem to protect the perpetrators and not the victims are ridiculous. If I see a kid breaking into my car, you better believe I'll shoot his punk ass cold dead. I just have no sympathies for him. I would line up all the rapists and child molestors right now and shoot all those bastards.

That filth poisons our world. That filth makes having to defend yourself a necessity. That filth makes us all less safe. Stop enabling them.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,762,100 times
Quote:
And who's shooting who? You know darn well who's killing who in this country, and it ain't Joe the Plumber. It's da gangsta fo' life n*gga from da hood yo (emphasize was intentional)
Quote:
Apparantly you missed the note where the people doing most of the shooting are blacks and Hispanics
Quote:
If I live in an area with a high minority population I am far more likely to be victimized by crime than a majority white area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I see. So then is it fair to say that MM is probably correct when he says that most people imagine themselves getting attacked by racial minorities, rather than "that freckled kid down the street" as he puts it?
In light of what some of your are saying, it seems that what MM actually said in the video clip is plausible. But it seems that none of you wants to admit this. Why not? Perhaps it is because the whole point of the OP was to make fun of Moore and his supposedly ridiculous statement. Yet what you are actually saying in this thread makes it seem like his statement is plausible, so I suppose this leads to a certain level of discomfort. (And let me emphasize: I do not know if Moore's assertion is correct. I don't know, off hand, of any statistical data relating to what a majority of gun owners have in mind when they think about who they need to protect themselves from. All I am saying is that MM's hypothesis seems plausible and a lot of the statements made in this thread make it seem even more plausible. And this somewhat derails the initial intention of the this thread.)

Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 AM

5,864 posts, read 5,018,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
No, it doesn't "only make more sense" that more minorities are incarcerated for drugs than white people. More white people use drugs than minorities... fact. And wrong on both counts... who do you think can numerically and on average afford cocaine and heroin? If there is such thing as a white collar drug, cocaine is it.

In other news, there are about 5 times as many white people as there are blacks. Interesting...
Oh bull****. In 3 years in the criminal justice system I can tell you your little stereotype is all jacked up. What do you think most of the drug dealers inside of prison are in there for dealing? Pot? Get over yourself. Cocaine and heroin are not "white collar drugs," they perhaps used to be but that's far from reality today.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 AM

5,864 posts, read 5,018,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Don't they teach that correlation does not equal causation in basic statistics anymore?

Have these statistics been regressed to account for things like socio-economic class?

If they haven't then they are basically useless.

Is the neighborhood '4 miles down the road' comparable in terms of socio-economic class?

Do you think that that would hold true if you lived in a affluent high-minority area vs a poor 'white' area?

Some math, statistics, science and logic classes wouldn't hurt either.
I've lived in a "poor white area" before and crime was nearly nonexistent. I love the assumption that since I'm white I'm part of the "privileged majority" and the assumption that I must be upper middle class. I've been dirt poor before, and only these past few months have I been anywhere near middle class, on the low end of middle class anyway. I abhor the use of poverty as an excuse for crime. By the way do you always come off as so arrogant or are you trying really hard now so you'll be super anti-racist man? All of your talk of "socio-economic class," why don't you give a precise objective definition of that. What are the parameters of each class, I mean we need objective definitions if we are to use your criteria. The truth is "socio-economic classes" are completely subjective and worthless. What's poor to one is middle class to another.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,382,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Is this thread about Limbaugh?
What does Limbaugh have to do with this?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,611,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This circle jerk between Maddow and Moore is pretty funny.

Breitbart.tv » Michael Moore: People Own Guns Because They’re Racist

some people own guns to hunt really obese people too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies