Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you knew anything about the Constitution, you'd understand that marriage is not a right
Consitution or no - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is an INALIENABLE RIGHT endowed upon us by our (Deistic) creator.

Last time I checked, marriage was covered under all three of those precepts.

Last edited by QuixoticHobbit; 08-05-2010 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

396 posts, read 732,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
This law is about sex. Pure and simple sex. The only minority difference between a homosexual and a heterosexual is sex and who the genders wish to have their sex.
Huh... I dunno... I've been married for over 8 years. I WISH my marriage was all about sex.

Unfortunately, most of the time it's about mundane and boring stuff like who is gonna take out the trash, did that bill from Consumers Energy get paid (crap, I need to take care of that LOL), and who is on hair-ball-cleanup patrol.

It's also about getting our taxes filed, rights of inheritance, and making sure the other is provided for once one of us dies. About his right to make medical decisions for me, and my right to be at his bedside when he is ill. It's about supporting each other through the crap life throws our way, and celebrating the joys, in whatever manner we deem appropriate for ourselves - not in a manner proscribed by Mrs. Grundy.

At most we spend 2 hours a day on the sex part (if we're lucky, if we're not exhausted by the mundane, if we're not sick, if we don't have to get up early, if the cats don't hork a hair ball, if the kids stay asleep, if the bills aren't weighing us down, if stress isn't joining us in bed)... and we can do THAT part of our relationship with or without that little license we paid the county for.

It's all the stuff we CAN'T do without that little license that really matters, that gays and lesbians are fighting for.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Except people would have told you that laws against interracial marriage were about sex too, the contamination of racial purity that would result from interracial marriage was seen as a moral issue, and I don't see how morals are detached from culture. Morals are not objective truths, they are cultural constructs.
Some people do not need a 'law' to tell them what is right and wrong. Apparently there are those that do. Have we all become daft.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Very true, for the vast majority of the whole 'tradition' of marriage women were property.
if you want to know what the bible says about marriage it says that men were to treat women with the utmost respect and to treat them like they would treat themselves not property and i am native american and we didnt have religion to tell us whats up, and women were highly regarded in our tribe

Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Why is a gay man ruling in a case about a Gay marriage ban any different than someone who is in an inter-racial relationship ruling in a case about an Inter-racial marriage ban??
gays are not a race

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
wow pocahontas huh , whos the racist now?? hahahaha!! of course your against the bible because it is against gays and it clearly says it. and yeah you did choose to be gay its not proven you were born that way.
How is it proven that homosexuality is a choice? Why would people who live in countries where they execute gays just choose to risk their lives? Can you just decide to stop liking members of the opposite sex? If homosexuality is a choice then so is heterosexuality, and I've never met an individual who could control who they are attracted to.

Also, who cares what the Bible says? Christian morality has no place in the lives of non-believers.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Consitution or no - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is an INALIENABLE RIGHT endowed upon us by our (Deistic) creator.

Last time I checked, marriage was covered under all three of those precepts.
Life, Liberty, and pursuit of Happiness is from the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution..

You might want to stop trying to lecture others on the content of the Constitution..

Old 08-05-2010, 12:55 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
of course he was biased! omg come on now this will help him too so of course he was gonna overturn it no matter what the people said. if this judge was a straight conservative all you would be screaming the same thing
Have you even looked at any of the transcripts of the case??

I guess women should never be judges on women's rights issue, minorities should never be the judge on a Civil Rights issue, we should have made sure no judges in the Loving V Virginia case ever had an interracial relationship, etc....

Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
and a legal will would have taken care of it

a legal document can nullify any 'NOK'

had the patient (prior togetting sick) taken care of the LEGALITY of the situation, the 'parents' would have had no say
And someone (can't quite remember who) posted a link to the story of two gay men who DID have all of the legal paperwork - wills, medical powers of attorney - and such and were STILL denied visitation to the point that the HEALTHY one was placed in a separate nursing home, denied the knowledge of where his partner was and had all of their possessions auctioned out from under them. You can have all the legal documents in the world and if someone wants to ignore them, they will. Legal documents don't mean a thing if no one bothers to even LOOK at them.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,706 times
Quote:
wow pocahontas huh , whos the racist now?? hahahaha!! of course your against the bible because it is against gays and it clearly says it. and yeah you did choose to be gay its not proven you were born that way.
I'm not gay, sweetie. Nor I am I a racist. You're the one who brought up the "indian princess" bit. I was merely being cute. Yes, one is born gay. I kinda doubt anyone would choose to be gay in an society with ignorant bigots such as yourself in the majority.

And no, I'm not against the Bible because it is against gays. I am against the Bible being used to define our laws and rights, when this country was clearly founded as a secular nation based on secular principles and reason with a total separation of church and state.

And of course, the Bible is an outdated man-made book of plagiarized fairytales
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies