Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Huh... I dunno... I've been married for over 8 years. I WISH my marriage was all about sex.

Unfortunately, most of the time it's about mundane and boring stuff like who is gonna take out the trash, did that bill from Consumers Energy get paid (crap, I need to take care of that LOL), and who is on hair-ball-cleanup patrol.

It's also about getting our taxes filed, rights of inheritance, and making sure the other is provided for once one of us dies. About his right to make medical decisions for me, and my right to be at his bedside when he is ill. It's about supporting each other through the crap life throws our way, and celebrating the joys, in whatever manner we deem appropriate for ourselves - not in a manner proscribed by Mrs. Grundy.

At most we spend 2 hours a day on the sex part (if we're lucky, if we're not exhausted by the mundane, if we're not sick, if we don't have to get up early, if the cats don't hork a hair ball, if the kids stay asleep, if the bills aren't weighing us down, if stress isn't joining us in bed)... and we can do THAT part of our relationship with or without that little license we paid the county for.

It's all the stuff we CAN'T do without that little license that really matters, that gays and lesbians are fighting for.
The right to divorce the other one and take 'em for all they are worth. Hide and watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Have you even looked at any of the transcripts of the case??
I've skimmed through it, and many of the statements by the judge to argue for gay marriage can also apply to poligamists..

Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Some people do not need a 'law' to tell them what is right and wrong. Apparently there are those that do. Have we all become daft.
People learn what's right and wrong from their societal experiences. It's not objective, it's what they're taught. A large number of people in this thread base their opposition to gay marriage out of scripture, it's not like it's just some inherent given that homosexuality is wrong.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I'm not saying that it matters. My point is, is that a liberal cannot even admit something that is factually true. I don't think it should be a consideration for people to get married, but can you ADMIT that homosexuals cannot produce offspring?
actually new scientific advancement has allowed for a woman's egg to be used, in the case of two men only.. her dna being removed and one partner's dna placed into the egg, then it being fertilized by the other male.. which produces a child that is NOT biologically the woman's but IS biologically BOTH males

Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 PM

396 posts, read 732,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
if you want to know what the bible says about marriage it says that men were to treat women with the utmost respect and to treat them like they would treat themselves not property and i am native american and we didnt have religion to tell us whats up, and women were highly regarded in our tribe
Actually,
this spells out pretty clearly just what the bible has to say about marriage.

And as an NDN, I'd assume you're familiar with twospirit identity theory, right?

1,743 posts, read 2,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There isnt one part of the judges response that poligamists couldnt use to ask to be able to be married either..
Good, since there is absolutely no secular reason to deny polygamists (who are consenting adults) marriage, either.

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
polly while cali might have 36 million as a total population...their total REGISTERED VOTERS is 15,810,412....
So out of all registered voters, they got 44 percent vote - stand corrected. Pretty much the same percentage as the
last presidential election for McCain.
We certainly are a divided country

Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,436,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post

the judge should have been replaced this is not right to have someone who is obviously going to side with gays and everyone knew it. they should have had someone who was open to both sides of the arguement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post

Who would that have been? Would you be equally convinced s/he were biased if it had been a heterosexual?

The fact that this judge was homosexual was no secret. The supporters of Prop 8 could have insisted he recuse himself at ANY POINT where they felt he was demonstrating bias of any kind. Apparently, they were satisfied with his ability to be unbiased. Or are you now saying that the people chosen by the supporters of Prop 8 were also biased, and sought a judge that they were sure would rule against them? I mean, that must be what happened, right? Otherwise, why didn't THEY ask him to recuse himself? It happens all the time when plaintiffs/defendants believe the judge has a bias... why not in this case, when the stakes were so high?
You took the words right off my keyboard.

I notice she still never bothered to answer your questions as to who would have been unbiased, or why the defense never asked for the judge to be recused.

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidawarrior View Post
Why is it that the gay population have so many rights today? How is it that they have their own culture? It is all wrong, no gay man should have more rights than a normal human being in any society, it goes against all that is right in the world, NO to Gays should be the ruling in all the States !!!
Wow......

1,743 posts, read 2,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Life, Liberty, and pursuit of Happiness is from the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution..

You might want to stop trying to lecture others on the content of the Constitution..
Right, and did you see the "Constitution or no" part? I never claimed it was in the Constitution. Even thought it IS, in principle. Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is the foundation of the bill of rights. It is WHY the DOI was written in the first place - to escape the tyranny English rule (a Christian nation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies