Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be in favor of an injection to keep babies from being born gay?
Yes 15 16.30%
No 59 64.13%
It would be against the Will of God to tamper with his Creation 11 11.96%
babies are not born gay. It is a choice they make. 16 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:56 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,238,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Nope as I see absolutely nothing wrong with being Gay. I don't want kids but if I did I would accept them as they are. Unless they grew up to be bigots ( racist, homophobic, sexist, xenophobic etc... ) in which case I would disown them.... Bigotry is not something I would gladly accept as a parent.

The only thing I would be worried about having a Gay child is the bigotry and prejudices they would encounter from ignorant bigots with all the empathy and emotional intelligence of mouldy pond-slime....

Eugenics does not appeal in the slightest. One should love and accept children for who they are rather than who we wish them to, and encourage them to be themselves unless they harm others.
While I would fear bigotry for my child, I would also fear my child's behavior that would expose him to much higher chances of getting HIV.

If HIV gets "cured" something worse will come along if everyone goes back to unsafe sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 02:00 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Nope as I see absolutely nothing wrong with being Gay. I don't want kids but if I did I would accept them as they are. Unless they grew up to be bigots ( racist, homophobic, sexist, xenophobic etc... ) in which case I would disown them.... Bigotry is not something I would gladly accept as a parent.

The only thing I would be worried about having a Gay child is the bigotry and prejudices they would encounter from ignorant bigots with all the empathy and emotional intelligence of mouldy pond-slime....

Eugenics does not appeal in the slightest. One should love and accept children for who they are rather than who we wish them to, and encourage them to be themselves unless they harm others.
Agreed! I also want to add the factor that drug companies would stand to prosper from something that might not display its adverse side effects until the child is an adult. Can anyone say "Thalidomide"?

Some people will tamper with a fetus just to satisfy their own twisted logic of how the world and people should be, but will scream from the mountain top that a fetus has a right to live...just live the way that we say you should.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Agreed! I also want to add the factor that drug companies would stand to prosper from something that might not display its adverse side effects until the child is an adult. Can anyone say "Thalidomide"?

Some people will tamper with a fetus just to satisfy their own twisted logic of how the world and people should be, but will scream from the mountain top that a fetus has a right to live...just live the way that we say you should.
This was a "what if" question...no side effects included. In reality side effects are always there when you mess with the body. Some are good, some are not so good.

I'm sure we've all had fantasies of being a to push a button and "poof"...whatever big horrible issue is going on could be eliminated, will no ill effects. I know I do all the time!

Old 07-04-2010, 04:13 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,205,567 times
Most of you people obviously have no idea what this article is really about.

At conception, you aren't really a boy or a girl. What differentiates men from women is primarily the high levels of testosterone in-utero, during the babies development. Which causes the female parts to basically die out, and the male parts to grow(or vice versa). The levels of testosterone(or the lack of it) are very important in the development of both females and males in-utero. If levels are high early-on during the primary physical development period, but they aren't high during the later mental development. It will tend to cause someone to grow the junk of one sex, but the mind of another.

In the case of hermaphrodites, there wasn't enough hormones to kill off the male parts, so the female parts and the male parts are either both there, or the female parts are masculinized. Also, if during mental development, that female or male baby is receiving too high or too low levels of testosterone, their mental faculties may not match their physical sex.

This hormone problem is the cause for many other conditions also. There are actually many women in the world today, who look like women, have the parts of women, and even act like women. But, they are genetically men. Because they have a Y chromosome. How is that possible? I thought all men had XY and women were XX. Well, the Y chromosome doesn't grow parts, all it does it regulate hormone production. Which causes the parts to grow, and also has an effect on how your brain develops. Men generally are better at math and science, because spatial and cognitive abilities are affected by testosterone during mental development(yes, men and women actually have different brains).

Does having a Y chromosome make someone a man? | Intersex Society of North America

The question is what causes these genetic/hormone abnormalities?

Well it would be nice if it was some sort of survival of the fittest, natural selection type thing. But it isn't. It is just an accident that affects many other types of mammals(yes, there are other gay animals too).

List of mammals displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if homosexually is basically a mistake of nature, should it be corrected if we are given the power to do so?

If a person came out with an extra toe, should we cut it off? If a person came out with a deformed nose, should we fix it? If someone has a cleft palate, should it be corrected? If a person comes out with both the male and female parts, should we cut one off? If we could correct human development in-utero to prevent abnormal behavior(such as homosexuality), should we do it?

Yes, on all counts. The only reason homosexuality is becoming more accepted is because it is more common than the others. But regardless of how common something is, it is a mistake of nature. And it should be corrected if we have the power to do so. It is not eugenics. And it is not going against god's work(god doesn't want homosexuals at all).

And correcting it does absolutely no harm to anyone. Why wouldn't you make peoples lives better?

I read an article talking about happiness. It says even in the most tolerant societies on earth(the Netherlands), homosexuals are still far less happy than heterosexuals. In your own stubbornness, would you deny your child happiness? Selfish much?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 07-04-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 04:19 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If there were no side effects I would certainly do it. I do not harbour any dislike of gays but I would want any child to grow up as normal as possible and being gay, while not a horrible thing, is not a normal thing. It is kind of like being left handed and if they had a shot to prevent that I would get it too.
I am offended . I'm not gay, but I am left handed. Being left hand is normal.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 PM

576 posts, read 586,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
No, I would not.

But I just might in favor of an injection that would decrease the likelihood of my child being born some bitter conservative who hates gays, foreigners, people of different religions, and anyone else not like them.

What about people like you that hate conservatives?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Why would YOU be offended because HE wouldn't choose not to be left handed?

Besides, think of all the benefits to having no southpaws in the world...we wouldn't need special scissors, nobody would have to read smeared papers, and we wouldn't get elbowed when sitting on their left side in a restraint booth....lol

Someone did have a good point about this all though, both with homosexuals and left handed folks the brain has been thought to work a different way, sometimes a more creative way. Perhaps we don't really want to loose that.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The probability of left-handedness is actually about the same as the probability of homosexual behavior.

Being left-handed is actually a gift in its own ways. But it has to do with how the brain works.

Right Brain vs. Left Brain

Personality Traits of Lefties: The Psychological Characteristics of Left-handed People (http://psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/personality_traits_of_lefties - broken link)

I wouldn't say that lefties are better than righties, but that the minds of lefties tend to be different than righties. And that both righties and lefties have qualities that are beneficial to different tasks.

Basically, left-handed people tend to be better communicators and more imaginative/creative. But right-handed people tend to be more rational/logical.

NOTE : Research from Canada reveals this interesting quality of left-handed people: they’re more likely to be homosexual.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,729 times
Disgusting how many people are ok with genocide and extermination. Just like the Nazis. Humanity has learned nothing about prejudice.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Disgusting how many people are ok with genocide and extermination. Just like the Nazis. Humanity has learned nothing about prejudice.

You are a fool. No one is advocating genocide or extermination. They are advocating correcting a genetic abnormality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies