Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,472,547 times

Advertisements

Russians get day off to procreate, then win prizes

Moscow - A Russian region of Ulyanovsk has found a novel way to fight the nation's birth-rate crisis: It has declared Sept. 12 the Day of Conception and for the third year running is giving couples time off from work to procreate.

The hope is for a brood of babies exactly nine months later on Russia's national day. Couples who "give birth to a patriot" during the June 12 festivities win money, cars, refrigerators and other prizes.

------------------------------
Sorry. This is surely going to ruin the day for the pro-abortion over-population and anti-child folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:45 AM

20,365 posts, read 19,980,873 times
Quote:
citigirl;It has declared Sept. 12 the Day of Conception -
Now that's a holiday I would love to see made official here in the US. Like Christmas, New Years and my birthday all rolled into one! wooot!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,772,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Sorry. This is surely going to ruin the day for the pro-abortion over-population and anti-child folks.

Perhaps you could think with some more nuance. Children are needed in Russia. They're not needed in India, Mexico, or Palestine.

What's your point with that sarcasm? Do you want to see the entire world paved over with strip malls or what?

Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 PM

320 posts, read 297,677 times
Quote:

Moscow - A Russian region of Ulyanovsk has found a novel way to fight the nation's birth-rate crisis: It has declared Sept. 12 the Day of Conception and for the third year running is giving couples time off from work to procreate.

The hope is for a brood of babies exactly nine months later on Russia's national day. Couples who "give birth to a patriot" during the June 12 festivities win money, cars, refrigerators and other prizes.

Even the pro-choice side likes sex, but a national holiday FOR sex? I'm moving to Russia.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,803,546 times

If one was pro-abortion and anti-child, would that not logically lead to less over-population? just thinking out loud...

Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 PM

286 posts, read 1,588,583 times
Quote:

What is wrong with sharing a news story without adding an uncalled for comment?

As for the national holiday.... LOL heck yeah!

Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,472,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post

Perhaps you could think with some more nuance. Children are needed in Russia. They're not needed in India, Mexico, or Palestine.

What's your point with that sarcasm? Do you want to see the entire world paved over with strip malls or what?
This is going to just gonna' kill ya but I find this pretty creepy.......reminds me of the Hitler youth or something.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM

764 posts, read 1,458,459 times
Quote:
This is going to just gonna' kill ya but I find this pretty creepy.......reminds me of the Hitler youth or something.
That's what got to me when this subject was in another thread, in fact you posted the link. This new world outlook and political movement they're developing is very disturbing.

Sex for the motherland: Russian youths encouraged to procreate at camp | the Daily Mail

Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,395,526 times
Couples who "give birth to a patriot" during the June 12 festivities win money, cars, refrigerators and other prizes.

I think that's very amusing. Who couldn't use a new fridge?!

Old 08-17-2007, 01:41 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,772,881 times
Quote:
I dig what you're saying about my post. I wasn't making a commentary on who is worthy to have children or not, I was commenting on the effects WITHIN a society of having too many or too few children. Russia has too few, India, Mexico and Palestine have too many.

There are means for dealing with this problem that don't involve resurrecting Hitler.

And again, I request you to use nuanced thinking. It was implied in my post but you missed the entire point, preferring instead to go for the kill. And that's cool too, I guess. If you get the kill, you help reduce population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
That's what got to me when this subject was in another thread, in fact you posted the link. This new world outlook and political movement they're developing is very disturbing.

Sex for the motherland: Russian youths encouraged to procreate at camp | the Daily Mail
Arrggghhh!!!! Does anyone understand demographics? Russia is in trouble, as is much of Europe, due to an inverted age pyramid. This is a huge problem for ANY society. You can frame this as "Fascist" if you want but would you say the same thing if it were about a shortage of children in Namibia? No, of course you wouldn't. Russia needs children. Or, to put it more accurately, they need responsible parents who aren't stumbling around sauced-up on vodka and they need a lot of Prozac. Something about being under the thumb of the Tsars and then the Communist Party seems to have sucked the life out of most of the nation. Of course they need children! But someone has to take care of those children or they'll just get adopted by Americans and western Europeans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies