Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2022, 07:28 AM

437 posts, read 189,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Guns don't cause crime. The Hutus in Rwanda managed to kill over 1M Tutsi in 90 days in the 1990s, primarily with machetes. Killers are the problem, not objects. The troll you all respond to could just as easily be a mass murderer tomorrow.

People are the problem, not guns. One of the issues is the decay of society, largely attributed to Marxists, who started attacking the nuclear family back in the '60s.There's no such thing as moral relativism, either. Familial structure is critical to a functional society.

The other issue is one of mental health, which gets glossed over with all mass killings. When I've looked deeper into the mass murderers, they usually have a history of mental health issues along with taking SSRIs, which are linked to violent thoughts/behaviors.

Until these issues are solved, nothing is going to change.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:51 AM

987 posts, read 283,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
People are the problem, not guns. One of the issues is the decay of society, largely attributed to Marxists, who started attacking the nuclear family back in the '60s.There's no such thing as moral relativism, either. Familial structure is critical to a functional society.

The other issue is one of mental health, which gets glossed over with all mass killings. When I've looked deeper into the mass murderers, they usually have a history of mental health issues along with taking SSRIs, which are linked to violent thoughts/behaviors.

Lol. Ok grandpa.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:15 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,908,315 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Lol. Ok grandpa.
https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/202206160048

"One of the most important contributors to the culture of violence is more or less banned from respectable — that is, liberal — discourse. It’s encouraging to see leaders in Pittsburgh’s anti-racism and anti-violence community take it up.

That issue is fatherhood.
It’s a fact as clear as gravity that fatherlessness contributes to violent behavior. According to the Institute for Family Studies at the University of Virginia, Black young adults are nearly twice as likely to be incarcerated if they grow up in single-parent or stepparent families, as opposed to families led by two biological parents. A study hosted on the Department of Justice website found that “the most reliable indicator of violent crime in a community is the proportion of fatherless families.”

Old 06-19-2022, 08:34 AM

437 posts, read 189,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/202206160048

"One of the most important contributors to the culture of violence is more or less banned from respectable — that is, liberal — discourse. It’s encouraging to see leaders in Pittsburgh’s anti-racism and anti-violence community take it up.

That issue is fatherhood.
It’s a fact as clear as gravity that fatherlessness contributes to violent behavior. According to the Institute for Family Studies at the University of Virginia, Black young adults are nearly twice as likely to be incarcerated if they grow up in single-parent or stepparent families, as opposed to families led by two biological parents. A study hosted on the Department of Justice website found that “the most reliable indicator of violent crime in a community is the proportion of fatherless families.”

That was a very good editorial on the PG. Thanks for posting. I don't think I would have found that on my own.

I've also read that fatherlessness also contributes to depression and suicide. I have little doubt that deterioration of the nuclear family has negative effects on individuals and then society as a collective.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:09 AM

987 posts, read 283,009 times
Quote:
That was a very good editorial on the PG. Thanks for posting. I don't think I would have found that on my own.

I've also read that fatherlessness also contributes to depression and suicide. I have little doubt that deterioration of the nuclear family has negative effects on individuals and then society as a collective.
Lol. Ok grandpa.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:27 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,694,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Lol. Ok grandpa.
The land of the dinosaurs!!!!

Old 06-19-2022, 10:44 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,284,122 times
Quote:

Bingo. Sure would be nice if these kids had a father figure in their lives. One would think the community leaders would help out.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:31 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,324,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Violent crime and shootings have become more frequent. 88 guns for 100 people in 2011. 120 guns for 100 people in 2022. We don’t need to manufacture anymore. Gun and ammo manufacturing should be halted indefinitely. Period. Assault weapons should be banned period.

If more guns were the answer we would be the safest country in the world.

The number probably needs cut in half to see significant declines in crime.

The constitution doesn’t give you the right to own ammo either.
What's the point? We're obviously not doing a very good job of enforcing the gun laws that we have now, so what good will more restrictions do? Do you want to see the Pittsburgh police start cracking down hard on getting guns off the street? Do you want to see prosecutors vowing to prosecute anyone who's caught with a gun to the fullest extent of the law? Since you keep carrying on about "authoritarian police states," I'm guessing that the answer is no. You contradict yourself.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:31 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,694,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
What's the point? We're obviously not doing a very good job of enforcing the gun laws that we have now, so what good will more restrictions do? Do you want to see the Pittsburgh police start cracking down hard on getting guns off the street? Do you want to see prosecutors vowing to prosecute anyone who's caught with a gun to the fullest extent of the law? Since you keep carrying on about "authoritarian police states," I'm guessing that the answer is no. You contradict yourself.
Too many guns are the problem 120 guns for every 100 people is way too many. Manufacturing of more guns and ammo should halt indefinitely. Assault weapons should be banned.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:38 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,284,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
The answer to those questions is obviously no. Folks will defend and enable criminals, blame the police, and live in fear of inanimate objects while contradicting themselves about a police state…but the police will be the first ones they call when they need help as they can’t fend fend for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh