Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2020, 10:22 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,135,850 times

Advertisements

I fully support trades and wish more people would consider them, not everyone is cut out for college and better to have some sort of skill to fall back on whatever it is. My son went to college freshman year for engineering and he really hated it and his grades showed, he is a very smart kid and things come easy to him without much studying. We made him take a step back and figure things out, he thought he wanted to go into the electrical union but did not get in the first year so went to CCAC PT and worked FT. He took a long time but is finishing up his degree this year in IT/Networking and enjoys it. Like 7 years to graduate but he has zero student debt and also used his time to learn the stock market which he invests and trades options some making a very nice 2nd income. Kid has more money saved before graduation than most adults I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 11:09 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,064,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I fully support trades and wish more people would consider them, not everyone is cut out for college and better to have some sort of skill to fall back on whatever it is. My son went to college freshman year for engineering and he really hated it and his grades showed, he is a very smart kid and things come easy to him without much studying. We made him take a step back and figure things out, he thought he wanted to go into the electrical union but did not get in the first year so went to CCAC PT and worked FT. He took a long time but is finishing up his degree this year in IT/Networking and enjoys it. Like 7 years to graduate but he has zero student debt and also used his time to learn the stock market which he invests and trades options some making a very nice 2nd income. Kid has more money saved before graduation than most adults I know.
good for him. and good for you that you coached him to take it easy and figure things out.

i am still not convinced i dont hate engineering, actually i dont know what i'd do, though. i thought about teaching. i think being an architect would be cool....

but something scientific that is a hybrid of engineering where you get to figure out problems, but being a trades based thing, like hvac or being an industrial engineer running a production operations would be amazing.

or, just hit the lottery.....

Old 08-08-2020, 04:22 AM

37,246 posts, read 39,529,579 times
Has there been any construction activity in Pittsburgh over the last few months?

Old 08-08-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Has there been any construction activity in Pittsburgh over the last few months?
Lawrenceville continues as a central powerhouse of activity (for Pgh standards), as another brownfield is being developed for some kind of light industrial facility, at the river's end of 51st Street.

Also, on 51st I think there is a residential development of one or more units.

I am not sure but I think that across from the Shop N Save on Butler (you cant actually see the Shop N Save from Butler, for reference), there might be another phase of condos in back of the existing ones.

Century III is to be demolished - a jobs providing activity, if anything.

Its exciting, I think, to see all that surface area go to green, if that is what they intend to do (ponds, grass, trees...). Of course, areas of it may eventually be re-developed.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:01 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They repaved much of Dallas in Point Breeze. I think that is it.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:11 AM

994 posts, read 503,488 times
Quote:
The East End’s best days are behind it. The far left noise coupled with tensions boiling with police are making it undesirable.
Yawn.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:04 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I am not sure but I think that across from the Shop N Save on Butler (you cant actually see the Shop N Save from Butler, for reference), there might be another phase of condos in back of the existing ones.
I've walked down Butler with my son. I don't know if 'construction' per se has started on the next phase of the condos that you're referencing, but we walked around back there and foundations are outlined and there are utility pipes installed.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I've walked down Butler with my son. I don't know if 'construction' per se has started on the next phase of the condos that you're referencing, but we walked around back there and foundations are outlined and there are utility pipes installed.
OK - i hadnt gone back there, but with how long it took to even start the ones that are finished now....

so there IS another crop of condos coming. Yo, GG! You hear that? Well, it will probably be a zero sum game. Maybe some gain of young adults who move from outside the city, but typically (and i dont have actual data - just guessing) it will likely be residents moving from one residence to these new ones. One person on this board discusses that is an advantage because it keeps older units/homes from inflating so quickly.

by the way, are the feral cats still back there? awwww.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:16 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
by the way, are the feral cats still back there? awwww.
We didnt see any critters on our walks

Old 08-08-2020, 06:53 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,690,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Yawn.

Continue to yawn.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/3045025001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh