Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2020, 07:06 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
You do realize most of that’s talking about people in NYC yeah?
Besides, I keep getting assured Pittsburgh population is going to implode; I just have to stay put and I’ll be living in a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 08:16 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,688,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Besides, I keep getting assured Pittsburgh population is going to implode; I just have to stay put and I’ll be living in a small town.
Change New York for Pittsburgh. Brooklyn for the East end. Are you refusing to see where this is headed? The writing is on the wall.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 PM

806 posts, read 260,739 times
Quote:
If this forum is to be believed, I live in a small town with three major sports league teams, a fantastic arts scene, a renowned symphony, and a pile of influential museums.

Sounds like the sort of small town the people who keep saying it sucks would love!

Old 08-08-2020, 08:57 PM

806 posts, read 260,739 times
Quote:
Change New York for Pittsburgh. Brooklyn for the East end. Are you refusing to see where this is headed? The writing is on the wall.
Brooklyn has been a strong population center for three centuries.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Has there been any construction activity in Pittsburgh over the last few months?
It is in a slowdown. Construction losses are piling up along with vacant office space downtown. There is a demand for single family housing on single lots. Likely meaning living shifting into suburbs.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202008090083

Old 08-09-2020, 07:27 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,160 times
I’m not going to argue about office starts slowing down, but in order for me to believe people are fleeing for the suburbs, I would need to see a lot of available real estate in the more desirable parts of the East End. It is at near record lows.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:40 AM

994 posts, read 502,728 times
Quote:
but in order for me to believe people are fleeing for the suburbs, I would need to see a lot of available real estate in the more desirable parts of the East End. It is at near record lows.
Exactly.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I’m not going to argue about office starts slowing down, but in order for me to believe people are fleeing for the suburbs, I would need to see a lot of available real estate in the more desirable parts of the East End. It is at near record lows.
We are only a few months into this. I am sure you will see more articles discussing this in the upcoming months and years. The full impact of this thing has not yet been felt. I think in late fall we will have a better picture of the long term economic damage to Pittsburgh and the East end. The longer this lingers the worse it is going to be for the East end. Especially being heavily reliant on college students living in the area and contributing to the economy. I think you will see it return back to like it was in the 80s and 90s. Many vacant storefronts and commercial buildings. On top of housing values plummeting in places like Lawrenceville, Bloomfield and east liberty.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:31 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,060,599 times
Quote:
We are only a few months into this. I am sure you will see more articles discussing this in the upcoming months and years. The full impact of this thing has not yet been felt. I think in late fall we will have a better picture of the long term economic damage to Pittsburgh and the East end. The longer this lingers the worse it is going to be for the East end. Especially being heavily reliant on college students living in the area and contributing to the economy. I think you will see it return back to like it was in the 80s and 90s. Many vacant storefronts and commercial buildings. On top of housing values plummeting in places like Lawrenceville, Bloomfield and east liberty.
how it was before you strolled into this tired, run down town on horseback to save us, oh wise seer?

fingers crossed!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:42 AM

994 posts, read 502,728 times
Yes, we're only a few months into, so you don't have any real directional data.

You only have your hard bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh