Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 07:18 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,903,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If Allegheny County isn't included as one of the first ones to reopen during tomorrow's announcement then I'd fully expect Dr. Levine and Gov. Wolf to explain to us why we won't reopen given that we HAVE fulfilled their requirements to reopen.
I'd be surprised if Allegheny County is among the first to re-open.
I also wouldn't be surprised if Wolf and Levine don't clearly articulate their reasons for that. They haven't exactly been models of transparency during this process. Wolf has been an unmitigated disgrace and disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
The public health from the economic damage will likely end up much worse and more devastating than the virus itself.
Hard to believe we are the same country that made it through a civil war, Great Depression, WW2 and 911. We have become a country more concerned about thinking and feeling, than looking at facts and protecting personal liberties
To your first point - bingo.
To your second point - we would never have the testicular fortitude to fight the American Revolution in today's America. Who'd want to risk their lives for freedom by fighting against King George's redcoats if they could just collect money from the government to sit at home and drink and watch Netflix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
It's interesting to me that people will casually say things similar to "Meh, if some old people die, sure it's sad, but come on...they're old...who really cares? They're' supposed to die anyway" But if a business closes because of having to shut down "MY GOD, LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! YOU HAVE WRECKED THIS PERSONS' LIFE BY FORCING THEM TO CLOSE FOR A FEW WEEKS!"

Hmm...maybe their economic system was compromised anyway and they had underlying economic conditions that contributed to their death, but the fact that the business died during the shutdown, people are doing anything they can to attribute the death to COVID to justify their numbers?
Businesses that were on the brink may have closed early on.
However, the longer this goes on the less ability you have to blame the businesses. They're being suffocated. Even if you held a pillow over the fact of an Olympic sprinter or swimmer, they'd die eventually too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 08:06 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I'd be surprised if Allegheny County is among the first to re-open.
I also wouldn't be surprised if Wolf and Levine don't clearly articulate their reasons for that. They haven't exactly been models of transparency during this process. Wolf has been an unmitigated disgrace and disaster.
I actually can't fault Wolf or Levine. Just about every U.S. governor enacted similar Draconian restrictions and limitations upon their general populaces.

However, if they can't articulate a reason for Allegheny County not being among the first to open when we've fulfilled what they've asked of us I think I'll start firmly joining the anti-Wolf/anti-Levine camp. If it's "we don't have enough testing yet...", then WHEN do they anticipate providing enough test kits to make this happen?

Old 04-30-2020, 08:55 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,903,129 times
Quote:
I actually can't fault Wolf or Levine. Just about every U.S. governor enacted similar Draconian restrictions and limitations upon their general populaces.

However, if they can't articulate a reason for Allegheny County not being among the first to open when we've fulfilled what they've asked of us I think I'll start firmly joining the anti-Wolf/anti-Levine camp. If it's "we don't have enough testing yet...", then WHEN do they anticipate providing enough test kits to make this happen?
Its my understanding that we were the only state to independently devise such a convoluted and opaque process about what qualifies as an essential business and what doesn't.

While testing isn't ideal, I don't think its the biggest problem. I think a bigger problem would be having a sustainable infrastructure to rapidly conduct contact tracing.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:58 AM

684 posts, read 420,139 times
Quote:
Its my understanding that we were the only state to independently devise such a convoluted and opaque process about what qualifies as an essential business and what doesn't.

While testing isn't ideal, I don't think its the biggest problem. I think a bigger problem would be having a sustainable infrastructure to rapidly conduct contact tracing.
Treatment is the real lynch pin. Once we get a solid treatment, and then later a vaccine, everything can relax.

Until then, no matter what the government says, I suspect the majority of the people will stay away from the restaurants, etc. regardless.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,999,775 times
Quote:
Agreed. We are not even 1/2 the threshold for the past 14 days at 23.4 cases a day. There should be NO excuse to not at least get in the first wave of opening! Why would there be? Also, this is from UPMC: ...from April 14 to April 20, and COVID-19 patients are using only 2 percent of beds across UPMC. 2%!

If we are held back, that is a slap in the face. Less than 1/2 the threshold. Our region is smart enough to take precautions. Wear a mask, wash hands and don't touch your face. Also, it isn't like we are going to go crazy around here if we reopen. Sure the media will show their agenda stuff (fake news), but for the most part most will still stay home. It isn't like a restaurant is going to open to eat in or bars.

Wolf should do as he stated he would do and not punish our county! Less than 1/2 the threshold!

Old 04-30-2020, 09:35 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,133,747 times
Quote:

Yes many other governors had similar orders but I don't think you can name one that was more, or even as restrictive as ours. I don't even have as much of an issue with how restrictive but it is the lack of transparency in the decisions and process.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:30 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,232,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Treatment is the real lynch pin. Once we get a solid treatment, and then later a vaccine, everything can relax.

Until then, no matter what the government says, I suspect the majority of the people will stay away from the restaurants, etc. regardless.
What treatment do you want that’s higher than 98% recovery rate?....and apparently the virus doesn’t affect essential businesses such as grocery, department, convenience stores, etc..., since they’ve stayed open since the beginning.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:44 AM

994 posts, read 502,728 times
Recovery rate?

Oh ffs.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:52 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,232,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Recovery rate?

Oh ffs.
Lol. Must be too much science in that.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:57 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,060,599 times
April 30: new infections per day, from last 17 days, starting with most distant:

15, 11, 21, 22, 62, 26, 7, 17, 29, 61, 28, 21, 13, 13, 11, 38, 16

love in an elevator....going down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh