Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 07:46 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,446,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
This is the sort of inflammatory thing I am talking about. I think most agree with easing of restrictions while keeping an eye on things. Maybe some want full on "back to normal", but most are not really ready for that. The only people I have heard seeking more shutdowns are people who are blatantly trying to inflame people and people like Nassim Taleb, who is generally known for taking contrarian viewpoints to the extreme (I think he's touting trying to fully eradicate the virus via a mass quarantine). 95% of the general public, however, does not think this.
Any stats that most aren’t ready for that?

I’d wager those that aren’t ready are making more money they’ve ever made collecting the extra $600, than they are concerned about those who are losing their livelihood, houses, etc..., to a virus that has a 90%+ survival rate. I’d also wager if they were in that position that they’d be ready to open things up and get back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 09:32 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,176,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Any stats that most aren’t ready for that?

I’d wager those that aren’t ready are making more money they’ve ever made collecting the extra $600, than they are concerned about those who are losing their livelihood, houses, etc..., to a virus that has a 90%+ survival rate. I’d also wager if they were in that position that they’d be ready to open things up and get back to work.
This poll shows the partisan divide, but even Republicans are somewhat split on what to do.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...erences-widen/

Pew is considered pretty down the middle, from what I can tell.

I think my point is, we can debate in a measured way the merits of opening quickly / opening slowly based on where we are today. You can't change the past. But slamming a viewpoint (which I have seen both sides do, including friends who are way left) without healthy debate is helping no one.

Furthermore, debating / discussing ways to help our neighbors and those in our community who are less fortunate is far more productive than discussing who is right and who is wrong. There is a lot more finger pointing (again, on both sides) about why someone else is wrong, than there is about where we agree or where we can join together to help.

Straight up - I would give up 25% of my income for the foreseeable future, which I know I am fortunate to have, to help others. Right now, my struggle is I cannot easily find a way to do that in a way that I know is meeting needs. As you say, some are buoyed by unemployment checks that exceed their pre-COVID income, others are actually doing just the same as they were before (i.e., those that can work from home), and still others are on the brink of financial disaster.

Throughout this mess, I paid the people I normally paid for things (babysitter, hair cuts, etc) as if I were still seeing those people regularly, even though I couldn't see them. We helped workers and owners of restaurants we usually patronized, too, even though we didn't always get something in return. I put my damn money where my mouth is. What I am hoping for, here, is some reasonable people to discuss issues and ways we can come together. Not this frustrating discussion about who is more wrong.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:55 PM

No surprise on the large Dem %.

When there’s a virus with a 90%+ survival rate, why would “experts”, and a huge amount of Dems choose to continue to keep things locked down while the economy plummets, people are losing everything they have, etc...?

If masks work, why have counties been locked down and so many businesses considered non-essential, and why couldn’t they open?

Why have big corporate stores been open all along while many small businesses have to suffer being closed?

What % of essential workers are contracting the virus?

Why did Wolf set standards and when the standards were met, did he keep those counties in the red?

Excellent. Looking forward to hearing where you put your money where your mouth is and where you donate 25% of your income for the foreseeable future.

Stats greatly determine who is right and/or wrong, along with “experts”. I’m still waiting to hear stats to the questions that I’ve asked many times, along with who these “experts” are. Is Wolf an expert, is Lavelle an expert, what expert stats are they using to make decisions, and then Wolf reneged on what he said?

Last edited by erieguy; 05-21-2020 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2020, 10:10 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,176,057 times
I don't have the mental energy to take on every one of your questions - but I will certainly be the first to admit that clearly some Democrats are attempting to hijack this situation to their political advantage. That may or may not include the Governor of PA. At the moment, it is impossible to prove one way or another.

Again - I don't find it prudent to argue these issues now. Let's argue them during an election with our votes. That time will come very soon. In the meantime, can we figure out how the f to get along where we do have common ground so we can help ourselves and others? Both the economy and the physical and mental health of those around us depend on it.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I don't have the mental energy to take on every one of your questions - but I will certainly be the first to admit that clearly some Democrats are attempting to hijack this situation to their political advantage. That may or may not include the Governor of PA. At the moment, it is impossible to prove one way or another.

Again - I don't find it prudent to argue these issues now. Let's argue them during an election with our votes. That time will come very soon. In the meantime, can we figure out how the f to get along where we do have common ground so we can help ourselves and others? Both the economy and the physical and mental health of those around us depend on it.
Pretty simple questions, especially since it’s obvious that Wolf and Levine aren’t experts and he reneged on his own stats....and this virus is supposed to be about stats, and when those stats are met and one of political power reneges, there’s no excuse, and obviously more than meets the eye.

Bingo on the Dems using it to hijack the situation to their political advantage, and they’re ruining many people’s lives in the process.

It’s tough to find common ground when there’s obvious tactics being used to keep a nations economy down for political gain....but I do look forward to seeing your common ground plans as much as you helping those in need with your income.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:28 AM

684 posts, read 424,298 times
Quote:
This is the sort of inflammatory thing I am talking about. I think most agree with easing of restrictions while keeping an eye on things. Maybe some want full on "back to normal", but most are not really ready for that. The only people I have heard seeking more shutdowns are people who are blatantly trying to inflame people and people like Nassim Taleb, who is generally known for taking contrarian viewpoints to the extreme (I think he's touting trying to fully eradicate the virus via a mass quarantine). 95% of the general public, however, does not think this.
Bingo

Old 05-22-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Also, this from CMU

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-h...-may-be-bots

Quote:
To analyze bot activity around the pandemic, CMU researchers since January have collected more than 200 million tweets discussing coronavirus or COVID-19. Of the top 50 influential retweeters, 82% are bots, they found. Of the top 1,000 retweeters, 62% are bots.

The monitoring of tweets is ongoing and collections from Facebook, Reddit and YouTube have been added to the research.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Straight up - I would give up 25% of my income for the foreseeable future, which I know I am fortunate to have, to help others. Right now, my struggle is I cannot easily find a way to do that in a way that I know is meeting needs. As you say, some are buoyed by unemployment checks that exceed their pre-COVID income, others are actually doing just the same as they were before (i.e., those that can work from home), and still others are on the brink of financial disaster.
The point is, you shouldn't have to. This government rolled over and gave massive tax cuts to Billionaires. But when there's a *real* need for average Americans, they instead gave a one time $600 check and a giant middle finger.

I'm not surprised that those in power want to remain in power, so they keep taking the dirty money from these people ,but what always surprises me are the rubes that keep voting for them when it doesn't serve their interests at all. I think PT Barnum was right, he just got the timing wrong....it's way faster than every minute.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
The point is, you shouldn't have to. This government rolled over and gave massive tax cuts to Billionaires. But when there's a *real* need for average Americans, they instead gave a one time $600 check and a giant middle finger.

I'm not surprised that those in power want to remain in power, so they keep taking the dirty money from these people ,but what always surprises me are the rubes that keep voting for them when it doesn't serve their interests at all. I think PT Barnum was right, he just got the timing wrong....it's way faster than every minute.
A one time $600 check?

Those who have been in power for 30+ years want to remain in power to keep taking that money, and they want even more power to do it easier.

Yes, Barnum was right....and people have been voting for the same people for 30+ years who have been taking dirty money.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:17 AM

6,362 posts, read 5,110,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post

when was this exactly - a tax cut for billionaires? the tax cuts of 2017 were also for middle class, business onwers (not all who are billionaires, but they ARE people that provide jobs, and create wealth or provide desired or necessary services).

and..."those in power want to remain in power". gee, how....obvious. I am the president of a fortune 500 company - but i dont want to remain in power. I run a successful Sunoco franchise, and you pay me for your gasoline - but i dont want this situation I am the Attorney General, and I try to promote justice based on the Constitution - but i'm outta here. I am the father of 4 and i am responsible for their education, clothing, and well-being - but I'm giving them up for adoption.

Your statements are so general, as if humankind needs to rewrite our rules from top to bottom. rule #1: if you are 'in power', you can't remain in power.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh