Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,040,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I don't know. I lived in Boston for 8 years and Pittsburgh's Northside reminds me a lot of the Boston neighborhoods that I would never be able to afford. I grew up in California, but that has made me all the more enthusiastic about Victorian architecture. I think it's the natives who sometimes have a hard time seeing the appeal of Pittsburgh because they take certain things for granted, but really there are all sorts of people who like all sorts of things.
I think the north side can be quite desirable to transplants, and intimated as much. North side schools, less so, and this thread was about schools. I think there are very few areas in the metro that compare favorably with other cities/metros AND have good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 08:16 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,467,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
$650k is higher than mid-tier.

Is sold different than what's available? Did anyone say anything about the latest sold properties?

A lot of properties available in Sewickley well below $650k. Lots of misconceptions that Sewickley is nothing but extremely expensive housing.
Well looking at what is available you are way off here, 650k is solidly mid tier.

I think the disagreement between you and gladhands here has to do with your different approach to the term 'MID TIER"

While gladhands is using it to mean, shockingly enough, 'MID TIER',

You are using it to mean 'can i finds anything cheaper on zillow'.

Since you aren't interested in whats sold, just what is available right now ,

Single family homes currently active there
Mean- Slightly over $1m
Median- ~$850k
There are twice as many SFH OVER 600k than under 600k.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:27 AM

40,998 posts, read 18,460,727 times
I disagreed with $650k being mid-tier in McCandless and Cpanut proved that right. Gladhands listed a property so I did the same.

You're saying currently active.

What's the median pricing for Sewickley housing?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:54 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,611,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think the north side can be quite desirable to transplants, and intimated as much. North side schools, less so, and this thread was about schools. I think there are very few areas in the metro that compare favorably with other cities/metros AND have good schools.
That also depends on perspective. I lived in Chicago before coming here, and I am far more comfortable with the public schools in Pittsburgh than I was in Chicago. Allegheny traditional is a very good school, to give a good Northside example, and Spring Hill elementary is fine too. I really don't want to argue about PPS for the millionth time today, which is why I just didn't respond to that part of your post, but I am wondering what cities/metros you are thinking of that have better public schools. It's not Philadelphia, for example.

Because I work at Pitt, everyone I know at the office is a transplant, and we spend a lot of time talking about how great it is to live here. Because I live on Spring Hill, all my neighbors are real natives -- many are in their 60s and grew up on our street -- and they are always amazed that we love Pittsburgh as much as we do.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:03 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,582,905 times
650,000 is mid-tier in Fox Chapel mainly because it is fairly small. 650,000 may be mid-tier in Sewickley Heights and North of Forbes/Murduch Farms. Sewickely, the village, has a fair amount of affordable homes especially if you include the stuff over the tracks.

650,000 may be mid-tier in Bradford Woods or Marshall Township. I just don't know the NA area well enough to know. It certainly isn't mid-tier in McCandless.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,040,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
That also depends on perspective. I lived in Chicago before coming here, and I am far more comfortable with the public schools in Pittsburgh than I was in Chicago. Allegheny traditional is a very good school, to give a good Northside example, and Spring Hill elementary is fine too. I really don't want to argue about PPS for the millionth time today, which is why I just didn't respond to that part of your post, but I am wondering what cities/metros you are thinking of that have better public schools. It's not Philadelphia, for example.

Because I work at Pitt, everyone I know at the office is a transplant, and we spend a lot of time talking about how great it is to live here. Because I live on Spring Hill, all my neighbors are real natives -- many are in their 60s and grew up on our street -- and they are always amazed that we love Pittsburgh as much as we do.
I think Allegheny Traditional Academy is solid, but you have to win a lottery to enroll your child there. I don't share your opinion of Spring Hill elementary, though. Having lived mostly in NY, Boston and Chicago before moving here, I think the first two have better schools, and Chicago is 10 times the city, and not that much more expensive.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:31 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,671,819 times
Bradford Woods in the last 12 months: 13 sales
High $1.10 million;
Low $235,000
Average $476, 500

Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 AM

m in MLS and just checked, him numbers are spot on, in fact 650k is really the lower end of mid-tier there just because I can't afford it doesn't mean I can't accept it..

This was in my rep comment. I would think someone in MLS would know what's reality.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,467,763 times
Quote:
m in MLS and just checked, him numbers are spot on, in fact 650k is really the lower end of mid-tier there just because I can't afford it doesn't mean I can't accept it..

This was in my rep comment. I would think someone in MLS would know what's reality.

And they are right because thats the same place I got them. can't really get more up to date than that..

So not sure what your argument is here, have you moved beyond the Sewickley argument since you were so off?
Quote:
Without even looking I'll easily say $650k isn't mid-tier in Sewickley.

$650k is higher than mid-tier.

What's sold is different than what's available or what property values are in the area.

A lot of properties available in Sewickley well below $650k. Lots of misconceptions that Sewickley is nothing but extremely expensive housing.

Time to take your own advice on that one ?
Quote:
Some people just don't venture out much to know what they're talking about in certain areas...
Quote:
People should really get out of the city and visit the areas they comment about rather than constantly giving false info.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
And they are right because thats the same place I got them. can't really get more up to date than that..

So not sure what your argument is here, have you moved beyond the Sewickley argument since you were so off?

Time to take your own advice on that one ?
You're pointing out what's available and I'm sure there are properties for much less.

Again, what's the median housing price in Sewickley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh