Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 18,563 times

Advertisements

I am a married father with a 3-year-old son, and we are planning on moving to the North Hills of Pittsburgh from Erie in the coming months. My wife and I are currently looking at the best school districts in the area for when our son reaches that age, and one in particular that seems to have caught our attention is Fox Chapel.

The district is highly-ranked state and nationwide on most websites, but someone living in the area that my wife is friends with seems to think otherwise. This person and her son moved to the neighboring Hampton School District, and her son reports that, when comparing it to Hampton, the classes at FC were too easy (easily got all A's there, has several B's/C's at Hampton), the teachers didn't care, students got away with being disrespectful/swearing at them, fistfights broke out more than a few times per year, etc. This boy went on to say that "it was basically like an inner-city school over there, and so much more laid back than Hampton".

Should we reconsider looking at Fox Chapel for our son? Why or why not? Also, what is the best district overall in the North Hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 09:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Both are good school districts. Just get in O'Hara, Fairview or Hartwood Elementary. Hampton is good though, but not as much money, so they have some limitations. I would be happy with either district, but if you are an international family, I would suggest Fox Chapel, since it is the most diverse school in our region, meaning worldly. FC usually beats Hampton in most things including education, but I like Hampton.

Sounds like the person you talked to is not really knowledgable or just making excuses. FC is the best funded school, but some of that funding goes under the radar. Like the new baseball complex was anonymously donated, so that won't show up. lol Lots of things like that going on in FC that no other district could compare with. FC is the wealthiest town in the entire state. Enjoy.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:34 PM

Hampton sounds interesting though. What is that like compared to FC (demographically, education wise, home prices, etc)? What about the other districts in the North Hills?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:38 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times
If you're set on the North Hills, then North Allegheny is the best. Very highly ranked overall.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Fox Chapel inner city? Um ok. In that case, stay away from the Hood (USC).

What is your budget? That will determine which school districts are available. I'm not sure if you have been to Pittsburgh much but it's not like Erie. A good school district will cost you.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:47 PM

My budget for homes is $180K

Old 01-30-2016, 09:54 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Daddy View Post
Yeah, you should really check out homes in the school districts first. That won't get you into Fox Chapel itself. Not sure about the other towns in the district.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:54 PM

That's not going to be so easy. Better take a look at Allegheny Co. taxes, also before deciding.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Daddy View Post

If I had a budget of $180K, I would look at O'Hara, Aspinwall and Hampton. That is just my opinion and I had a child graduate from Fox Chapel and he and all his friends are really doing very well beyond high school. Hampton is a little below if your child is in accelerated classes. There are other schools like North Allegheny, which is huge and North Hills, but I think you are on the right track. Just remember, funding and to be honest connections will go a long way and FC has all districts beat in that category. Sure on paper there are other districts that look the same, but people donate huge things to the FC district that people outside don't realize.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:20 PM

The OP has a young child. Was yours there for all of his schooling? I thought you recently moved to FC in the last few years.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-30-2016 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh