Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 AM

49 posts, read 188,493 times

Advertisements

Hi- Moving to Pittburgh and looking for a house in Fox Chapel but when I go to realtors web pages under zip 15238 I get what seems to be about 5 towns like o'hare and indiana twp or they say "Fox Chapel school district". Isn't there just a Fox Chapel proper or plan old town of Fox Chapel? I'm coming from CT where a town is a town and we don't have boroughs or TWP (whatever that means). I can't even find maps on the web that define the areas. Of all the "area" in zip 15238, which is the nicest? Thanks, any help is very much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:42 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Try this---http://www.fox-chapel.pa.us/

Old 08-18-2008, 09:13 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
As you leave Fox Chapel and enter O'Hare it will at first look similar like you were still in Fox Chapel but you're not and you will suddenly notice a lot of O'Hare Twp. signs. Indiana Twp. isn't FC either, not even close except physically. FC area means in the vicinity but not the real deal.

There is a Fox Chapel proper and if you can afford to live there that's the best place in the Pittsburgh area. There's no prestige etc., to all the other places surrounding Fox Chapel and in one of the towns in the school district you can probably buy houses for $25,000. If a realtor is trying to steer you away from what you want, dump them. That's unethical. They know the difference.

I was told there are 3 zip codes for Fox Chapel and I was only aware of 15238. But Aspinwall and Blawnox also have that same zip code. Blawnox is the post office. Both those towns have small downtowns and are like little bookends to FC. Small towns here often deliver mail for a vast area so zip codes can be misleading sometimes.

Fox Chapel isn't like a town. It is very spread out with no downtown. There is shopping at a fairly nice strip mall and a small plaza along a main (Freeport) road. There are two supermarkets there and also a small WalMart. The nicer strip mall is called the Waterworks. Across from it is Fox Chapel Plaza.

I looked quickly and couldn't find a definitive map. I'll send you a PM so check your mail.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
And to add to the confusion, isn't the Waterworks strip mall actually in the City of Pittsburgh proper?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
The Waterworks mall IS located in the City of Pittsburgh.

TWP is an abbreviation for Township.

There are 6 boros/twps that make up the Fox Chapel School District: Aspinwall, Blawnox, Fox Chapel, Indiana, O'Hara, and Sharpsburg. No agent/broker or Realtor will try to trick you into any of those areas if you specifically state you want Fox Chapel.

I know a PITA woman who lives in O"Hara and always says she lives in Fox Chapel. I love to correct her.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM

141 posts, read 721,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
The Waterworks mall IS located in the City of Pittsburgh.

TWP is an abbreviation for Township.

There are 6 boros/twps that make up the Fox Chapel School District: Aspinwall, Blawnox, Fox Chapel, Indiana, O'Hara, and Sharpsburg. No agent/broker or Realtor will try to trick you into any of those areas if you specifically state you want Fox Chapel.

I know a PITA woman who lives in O"Hara and always says she lives in Fox Chapel. I love to correct her.
LOL!! I have a friend who does the same...she hates it when I correct her and say she actually lives in Blawnox! Snobs!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
The only time I've ever seen a city police car in the Waterworks vicinity is when it's parked there while they're out somewhere shopping.

It doesn't make sense to me how that can be Pittsburgh. If you lived there where would your kids go to school? Here . . .

Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar is a neighborhood in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is located in the northeastern section of city and spans the Allegheny River. Lincoln-Lemington contains the Waterworks Mall and St. Margaret Hospital, which is part of the UPMC health system.
Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar (Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 08-19-2008, 05:09 AM

49 posts, read 188,493 times
Thank you all for the information. I just can't wrap my head around the taxes in Fox Chapel. The homes prices aren't an issue but the taxes are out of control and a real issue to anyone looking to buy I think. Thanks again. Good info.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Just a little visual aid as to the Waterworks mall, directly across the river from LLB. I don't believe there are any residences in that area, that would be one long bus ride.

As to taxes in FC, the millage rate is around 24-25, it's the assessed value of the homes that will kill ya!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 AM

98 posts, read 134,913 times
Default Waterworks in Pittsburgh

Hi,

I grew up in Aspinwall but have lived in New York for many years - the Waterworks is located in the City of Pittsburgh even though it is across the river because it really was the waterworks for the city and as such was owned by Pittsbugh. Most of the land is now used by St Margaret's hospital and the Waterworks shopping center. As far as I know, no one actually lives in the "Waterworks" proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh