Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:06 PM

598 posts, read 2,270,487 times

Advertisements

I've noticed online alot of nice looking homes in the range of around 100k in Penn Hills. Is this a decent, safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 24,339 times
No, Penn Hills is not a very nice area. There was a time when it was considered one of the nicest places, but today it is not decent or safe and it is just getting worse. Beaver, PA (not Beaver Falls), is a very nice place to live.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:54 PM

976 posts, read 3,863,880 times
I use to live in Monroeville which is right next to Penn Hills. I moved to Westlake, Ohio and i love it here. I just moved two years ago and when i go back to visit, the area hasnt changed, it has gotten worse to tell you the truth. Its not a safe area. I would check out Mount Lebanon, South Hills, Dormont areas.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 61,299 times
Default Penn Hills yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal
I've noticed online alot of nice looking homes in the range of around 100k in Penn Hills. Is this a decent, safe area?

Well if senator Rick Santorum lives there must not be a bad area is my thought. No where is a safe area. You got to look around. Some areas are better then others in Penn hills. Just like in other places you got good and bad. To be honest with you not high in crime rate. You also get more for your money on houses in the area. Just go and see the properties for yourself.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:54 PM

6 posts, read 61,299 times
Default Penn hills is safe

Here is an article I found for you. Read down that they got an award since alot of people in the area for being one of the safest. We are looking into buying a home there and when I read this board checked into it.
http://www.pennhillslibrary.org/ein/pennhills/about.html (broken link)

Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 AM

12 posts, read 53,503 times
Rick Santorum doesn't live in Penn Hills. That's a big joke. He has 6 kids and the house he "supposedly" lives in is a two bedroom that is vacant. Don't move to Penn Hills. Pick a smaller town like Trafford or go to Murrysville

Old 08-03-2006, 08:55 PM

598 posts, read 2,270,487 times
Thanks for all the advice and info!

Old 09-01-2006, 08:01 AM

14 posts, read 59,297 times
Penn Hills is a declining area... I would advise you if you intend to spend 100k on a house you consider someplace else. Maybe a Crafton or Ingram, if you aren't tied to being in the east hills.

If you are tied to eastern suburbs along the parkway east, I'd suggest Forest Hills, Church Hill or Monroeville.. I'd advise heavily against Wilkinsburg and Penn Hills would not be my choice either.. unfortunatley that neighborhood has been declining for quite a while now.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:38 PM

12 posts, read 25,976 times
Default penn hills is fine

Just so long as you understand that when people say Penn Hills is getting worse, they mean Penn Hills is getting blacker.

As far as crime is concerned, the vast majority of neighborhoods are overwhelmingly safe. In Penn Hills the average black household income is higher than the average white household income so the area is very attractive to Pittsburgh's Black middle class.

So race is the real issue (crime is an easily disproven excuse). If you don't want to live around a lot of black people than don't move to Penn Hills.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
I think maybe a when a city of less than 50,000 averages 4 to 5 murders a year, a per-capita rate about twice the national average, and with the number of murders trending up rather than down, it's possible that people might have legitimate concerns about crime and not that it's not just about race. I dunno, just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh