Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM

12 posts, read 25,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I never said Greensburg was any better or worse than Penn Hills so I have no idea why you drag Greensburg into this. This thread is about Penn Hills, not Greensburg or Homewood or Wilkes-Barre or Harrisburg or any other place.
Geography is inherently relative and complex, so there is never anything wrong with comparisons.

Quote:
You're obsessed with non-sequiturs, but I'll play your game anyway.
Huh? That sentence is a non-sequitur!!!

Quote:
The reason why Penn Hills' household income is that much higher is Penn Hills' median household size is substantially higher, 2.6 versus 2.1. That means more potential breadwinners per household in Penn Hills.
I question your logic (you're just guessing anyway). I would imagine that the vast majority of households have 2 or less main breadwinners. That 2.1 vs. 2.6 comes from children or other dependents.

Quote:
The per-capita incomes are within less than 10 percentage points of each other, which is quite close considering we're comparing areas right near a city center against a practically rural setting on outskirts of the metro area.
It's 131%, but the rest of that statement is reasonable.

Quote:
By the way, as of 2000 when the last data was available, Penn Hills' average home value was $69,000 versus $83,000 for Greensburg. So yeah, money talks all right and it says "I'd rather be in Greensburg."
EXACTLY You just made my point. Penn Hills gives you the biggest bang for your buck, hands down. The most house for the least money in safe, clean, convenient neighborhoods.

Quote:
Have a nice day.
You have a wonderful day also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 AM

10 posts, read 12,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFromGreensburg View Post
No. It's not even close to 131%. You are just plain factually wrong. Again. And I'd be glad to provide actual URL links to the census data that proves it but....
No problem, I'll provide links.
https://www.city-data.com/city/Penn-H...nsylvania.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Greens...nsylvania.html

I'll also provide a math lesson. To obtain a percent you want to take the
the $39,960 divide it by the $30,324 and multiply by 100....just like we learned in the 3rd grade.

Quote:
you're so tediously argumentative that it would be a waste of my time.
Personal insults instead of facts....nice. I guess the fact that Penn Hills gives a lot of house for a little money makes me a bad person????

Quote:
I'm still not sure why I even bothered with this response.
Only you can answer that question. If I were you I wouldn't have responded as I think this thread clearly speaks for itself.

Last edited by armchaire; 01-04-2007 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: fix quote tag

Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 AM

Marc, all of your anger isn't healthy. It's only a message board here for our enjoyment, you really need to calm down.

Quote:
Gee thanks for the math lesson delivered in your typically patronizing fashion. Now let me provide you with a reading lesson that might help you look like you know what the hell you're talking about.
And I'm patronizing????

Quote:
What I said is that the per-capita income of the two cities were fewer than 10 percentage points apart. You then proceed to provide data that measures household income to tell me that I'm wrong. And as I already noted, the substantial difference in average household sizes explains a lot of that gap. Try keeping up.
You logic is still faulty. Household income is the correct metric. It measures wealth of healthholds. Per capita income speads the money out over everyone, my children, baby Tom down the street, little Bobby up the block, Suzy's bed ridden grandmother...etc.

But for the sake of argument, lets say you're right. The fact remains that Penn Hills has a higher per capita income and cheaper houses.

Quote:
When I do provide facts, you simply dismiss them or try to explain them away (as I'm sure your inevitably snarky response to this post will do)
You bet you butt, I can explain away your replies. They're all your opinion. My replies are fact.

Quote:
And the fact that you evaded a ban in order to continue your gratuitous little snipes -- and the fact that you were banned in the first place -- demonstrates my point quite nicely.
I wonder how that happened. Perhaps I disagreed with the wrong person???

Quote:
This isn't worth my time any more. Welcome to my ignore list, tedious troll.
That's entirely up to you. I regret your decision as I always enjoy arguing my point.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 44,782 times
Penn Hills is a GOOD area. I though, would move to Wilkins Township

Old 01-14-2007, 02:54 PM

I never said ALL of Penn Hills was good. Just everywhere not near Lincoln Park

Anyway, Wilkins is mostly nice but it definitely has a few pretty crappy looking neighborhoods.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,715 times
Angry Penn Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
Just so long as you understand that when people say Penn Hills is getting worse, they mean Penn Hills is getting blacker.
Sad but true. I moved to Penn Hills in 1991,the only changes I have noticed is more Black faces, White flight, And Rumors.

Penn Hills IS on the decline though, and the cause is ONE of the changes I have noticed, the Rumors. Whenever Black people move in, White people run and the rumors start.

I remember when I first moved to Penn Hills the rumors then were about Penn Hills Police, how the Penn Hills Police were everywhere and didn't play games, if you did something wrong in Penn Hills the police WOULD hunt you down and catch you. (When you didn't see so many Black faces)

Funny how now all I hear is how bad Penn Hills is, and how Penn Hills is on the decline, Crime Crime Crime, it's totally amazing to me. And with rumors like that going around what do you think it's going to attract? CRIME!

Before if you were a criminal you took your business somewhere else, because you knew the rumors about Penn Hills, now Thanks to the Rumors Penn Hills will be known as a Free for All, Free for All to do whatever they want!

What I think a lot of the people who start these rumors don't think about is, there are a LOT of black people who refuse to live in high crime areas and who CAN afford to MOVE,....and they just might end up moving from Penn Hills and being your next door neighbor.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:44 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,874 times
Penn Hills has been on the decline for decades and now its just bad...I owned a home there and everyone buyer shunned us cause our hood was too dark for their taste. We almost went bankrupt but sold it at a huge loss...sorry but I can't in good conscience tell anyone this area is nice, when its not, I feel sorry for people who live there and can't move...it also borders Wilkinsburg which is horrendous and violent...a few years ago a man was in a sandwhich shop and starting shooting white people, he hated white people and went on a rampage, this is no tall tale, its true, it happened and I know people of color who will not go in there or live in penn hills, that should tell you something!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 11,715 times
Quote:
it also borders Wilkinsburg which is horrendous and violent...a few years ago a man was in a sandwhich shop and starting shooting white people, he hated white people and went on a rampage, this is no tall tale, its true.
Very True, And lets not forget Richard Baumhammers who killed 5 people in a racist shooting rampage the same year as the Wilkinsburg shootings. I just wonder how many people would still move to Mount Lebanon (Where Baumhammers Lived) and the surrounding areas after that shooting? And why Mount Lebanon hasn't been labeled as unsafe? (East Hills Shopping Center was considered unsafe after a police officer was shot and killed, and ended up a ghost town) Also, considering Wilkinsburg, Homewood, and East Hills has always bordered Penn Hills why hasn't Penn Hills always been rumored as unsafe because of it's surrounding neighborhoods?

Last edited by Stormie07; 03-14-2007 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,874 times
Penn Hill is unsafe and its been known for about two decades now. I grew up in that area, lived there for 30 years, I should know what I am talking bout.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:34 AM

75 posts, read 375,321 times
I understand that there are unsafe areas in Penn Hills near Homewood/East Hills/Wilkinsburg/L.L.B., but it seems like it would be hard to generalize (then again I'm not directly familiar at all w/ the area) that an area that has that size and appears to be almost all suburban style housing (judging from google earth) would be deemed totally unsafe. I guess my main question is: If the problems in Penn Hills start in the areas close to Homewood, how far east do they stretch in the township?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh