Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,691 times

Advertisements

Phoenician,

I grew up in Penn Hills and moved out a couple of years ago. I'm almost positive I know which house you are talking about on Laketon Road. Your house is on an iffy area because it is so close to Wilkinsburg, which is total ghetto. You are also next to Blackridge, which is a good neighborhood, but it's surrounded by ghetto. You're right on the edge as if you go half a mile down Laketon Road, you're in Wilkinsburg. People I know that live in Blackridge say that there has been several drug problems occuring. You go one block outside of Blackridge, and its ghetto. Wilkinsburg is straight ghetto. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Penn Hills is not a warzone. It's a run-down neighborhood on the decline and it will not get any better. You are right in that it is a big area and there are good areas and bad areas. I think it will be a fine house to rent for a year until you get to know the area better. You'll be safe. If you work in Braddock Hills, I would recommend purchasing a house in Forest Hills, Eastmont/Wilkins Township (which I believe is still part of Penn Hills) Monroeville, Turtle Creek, or Edgewood.

I would not stay in that area forever. Penn Hills' west end is continually getting worse. It's amazing that Blackridge has managed to stay as good as it has considering its location. Take some time to drive around the area and you'll see what areas to avoid. If you wanted to rent the house for several years, I would recommend looking elsewhere in Penn Hills, or in another neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 138,158 times
No I am not a racist. But when living around blacks thier can be two types you will encounter. The middle class college educated type most likely a couple with no children and well spoken and never home. Then you have the Ghetto types loud music, loads of children, lots of vistors. Suv with the fancy wheels. Avoid these types at all cost. I am just telling the truth

Old 06-21-2007, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,691 times
Penn Hills Native,

You couldn't have summarized it better. I don't think that the entire area will become a crime ridden ghetto as it's so big and there are so many rural areas, but the class level of the people that are moving in has definately dropped and the area will continually look worse.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Wow. This thread has a lot of inertia...

Old 06-23-2007, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,803 times
Default galemark

We live off Laketon closer to Frankstown. The area is ok. We have an 8 year old and a 7 year old special needs child. The school district is improving after declining. We have been here 9 years and like the area. There is an element creeping in, both black and white. Our street is relatively quiet with the occasional loud car. Your children will not have to deal with the schools yet, but Penn Hebron, while having a bad reputation in the past has really cleaned up its act. I think you will be safe and I agree with the reccommendation to sign a 1 year lease and get to know the area. Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 36,666 times
I came from Pittsburgh...grew up in Monroeville, but I moved away 20 years ago. I just looked at 3 posts about Pittsburgh, and they all contain major arguments. What's the deal? Can't you guys be friends?

And I see that racism is alive and well there....."I'm not a racist. But when living around blacks thier can be two types you will encounter..." What's your definition of a racist? "2 types of blacks"?!? Well, I guess there might be 3 types of whites, then (some of them know how to spell).......listen to yourself!!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 11,250 times
Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, Wexford, Franklin Park, Sewickley would all be areas worth considering. Each has excellent school system and while some consider these neighborhoods wealthy, reasonably priced homes can also be found. I would agree that Dormont and Crafton, as well as Scott Township and Greentree, would be nice places to raise a family.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,695 times
To be completely honest, I have not read all of the posts here. But I thought I would offer an additional perspective. I grew up in Penn Hills from 1977-1997. My parents moved to Penn Hills in 1969, when it was "the" place to be. They moved to Monroeville in 1997, I was off at college and never returned to the area. It was starting to decline when I was in high school (though I did not attend PH). Decline in terms of crime, dilapidated buildings, etc., but not horrible. When my parents moved, my older sister purchased the home we grew up in (off of Universal Road, near the high school, relatively far away from the city neighborhoods), and has lived there since. Her neighborhood is getting downright dangerous, and I have concerns for my 3 year old niece. New Year's Eve, two years ago, 2 bullets came through my sister's kitchen window, one room away from my niece's. And the houses on her street are NOT close together. Even before that incident, and since, we have been begging my sister and her family to get out of there, but she has a deep attachment to the home for some reason (they could absolutely afford to move...that is NOT the issue, which makes it all the more frustrating). When I visit now, I am so sad to see my old neighborhood looking the way it does. My sister and her husband do all of their shopping in Monroeville, as the Giant Eagle in the shopping center is too scary any more.

It just makes me sad. I know things have to change, but my neighborhood has deteriorated so drastically in the last 10 years.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 14,275 times
No penn hills is going downhill fast !

if not for the Penn Hills Dek Hockey Center, this place would completely suck !

Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 14,275 times
The Greater Pittsburgh Dek Hockey Center In Penn Hills Rules!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh