Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post

You can see PHSD salaries here:

PA Teachers Search
Wow. I cannot believe that's legally available. I might have to reconsider actually using my degree in education, when it's completed in the near future, for what it's actually for. Silly Canadians like me being used to having rights to privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 AM

210 posts, read 471,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Wow. I cannot believe that's legally available. I might have to reconsider actually using my degree in education, when it's completed in the near future, for what it's actually for. Silly Canadians like me being used to having rights to privacy.
Their salaries are public because they are a government agency funded by tax dollars. I can say if I were in their shoes I don't think I'd like it being public knowledge.

(As a side note I don't think they are under or over paid in PH if I look at their salary alone. If I add in their benefits I do think they are over-benefitted, though not dramatically. Salary alone they are in line with the district they serve IMO.)

Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
When the public signs your paycheck, your right to privacy gives way to the public's right to know how much they're paying you.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM

275 posts, read 628,869 times
I think this makes the point. You can't even assemble the students without having to call the police.

Penn Hills High bomb threat leads to evacuation, fights

Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,383,034 times
Also, Penn Hills High School Football Games are aperenty "ruff," and roudy too... I know Wilkinsburg is a rival team, were fights happen at games, and probably WestingHouse. The bomb threat story is ridiculous!!! If first graders can be quite dauring their Fire Drills, then 14-18year olds should too. My intake is that clicks from rival gangs that wouldn't normally be close to each other were assembled together. Which caused the fight/?. Idk about any reason for a bomb threat. I wouldn't know, this post is just my intake.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM

14,187 posts, read 22,768,179 times
Heh, according to the American City Business Journals, the Penn Hills School District ranks lower than the Pittsburgh Public Schools for quality of education. Now you know why half the student body at Central Catholic High School is from Penn Hills: those who are able to pay for the tuition get their kids out of there.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,234,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
I think this makes the point. You can't even assemble the students without having to call the police.

Penn Hills High bomb threat leads to evacuation, fights
Yeah. There was a bomb threat, then fights and chaos in the gymansium, and the parents want to be vindictive towards the police. It's always easy to second guess. However, the parents should be grateful that their kids are safe rather than being vindictive towards the police, who were there for the kid's safety. Let's get our priorities in order.
The real issue here is.. Who made the threat and caused all of this commotion? This is the person whom the students and parents should be trying to find.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 AM

59 posts, read 129,843 times
Hmm...

I recall Woodland Hills HS having a bomb threat a few years ago. The kids had to stand outside in the cold while the building was cleared. No fights, they were all too cold. So far as I know, there haven't been any more "bomb threats" called in since then.

Oh, some genius scheduled Penn Hills HS/Gateway HS (or was it Woodland Hills?) on the same day at Kennywood several years ago as well. As you can imagine, fights/arrests galore.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,929 times
Default Penn Hills

PennHillsNative your posts are so true, very sad

I have lived in Penn hills since 1994, I was in 5th grade when i moved here & was put into PH school system. Up until high school, school wasn't so bad, then things got awful. I have a younger brother & sister, my brother went to PH, we were physically searched at his graduation as was everyone else... My little sister had to be pulled from PH & put into a Cyber school. She was pulled before middle school!!! A child stabbed her in the hand with a pencil & said if she told he would beat her up. After school she cried to my mom & the teachers said there was nothing they could do about it. There were numerous other things that happened to her. When i first moved here our family lived off Frankstown near Puffs (now a hair store?) It wasn't bad at first, about 6 years later (2000) they decided to rent the house across the street from us out, & turned another house right next to them into a duplex. Wow what trash moved in. Police there literally everyday at the duplex. The house being rented you could hear the couple fighting then having sex LOUDLY at all hours. They parked there cars in our yard. So my parents decided to move to the Verona area. Definitely nicer but still PH. The lady my parents sold there old house to moved out within 1 year! My husband & I bought our home in PH 3 years ago. I knew it was a mistake but our neighbor hood is still pretty nice. Im so sad to say i live here. Our school district is embarrassing! I refuse to put anymore $ into our home. I want to move & its only been 3 years. Don't get me wrong my neighbors are wonderful but they are all old & we have noticed that 5 houses have been put up for sale very recently. One was bought by the gov't & sold for very cheap. Another is up for sale, its very nice but they will never sell it because next door lives white trash who have xmas decor up all year round, baby pools out all year round, strollers in the bushes. Or it will get turned into Sec 8.. yay. We just had to put a roof on our house which cost us $20,000. I truly do not think we will get our $'s worth out of this house. A house that we bought for $135,000. Its beautiful, would sell for a crazy amount anywhere else. Im terrified to see who moves in when our next door neighbor dies. We refuse to shop at PH giant eagle. I cant even go into that store for small stuff. Why? Because they never have what i need! There was a power outage there for 15 min & people started rioting! Trash lives here. TRASH! We do ALL of our shopping in Monroeville. Its sad because what i hear is that PH used to be so nice. Well not anymore. I drive by the sec 8 on Stotler where people have mattresses in their front yards, couches, etc. Good luck to the people selling their homes on that street. Hoss's is gone. Kings closed, another auto parts store opens soon, like we really need that. Grown 'n' sexy... real classy. At least that place is gone. The PH shopping Ctr is garbage, i used to work there a while ago. I do like Rey Azteca. Also Patron's in Monroeville. Wheres the other restaurants at? Morgans? Hmm, i used to work there, believe me you don't want to eat there. Eat 'n' park is good & looks a lot cleaner since the remodel. PH cant hold a lot of business. Now we have a bomb threat at the HS & fights between the kids. That sure makes people want to open a business here. Ok im done ranting for now.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 PM

275 posts, read 628,869 times
I guess they found the guy who made the call. Stupid used his own cell phone.

Police arrest suspect in Penn Hills bomb threat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh