Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 16,456 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Pittsburgh next month. I've found a beautiful rental home on an acre of land near Laketon Road and Frankstown Road on approximately the 3000 block of Laketon Road. But I'm now concerned about Penn Hills in general after reading posts.

I work in Braddock Hills three miles away, so it seems like a good fit. However, I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and I don't want to live in a war zone. I also understand that Monroeville is close for malls, shopping, etc. It's only a rental so we won't be there forever, but I also don't want to move somewhere dangerous to where we're hating life for a year.

Like any other town, there are good spots to live and bad spots. Can anyone confirm if this house location is a good spot or bad spot to live?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 03:14 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,927,574 times
I'm not familiar with Penn Hills, but the question I would ask is this -- Is the rental price of the home you are considering significantly below other comparable homes in the eastern suburbs? You can always call the local police department to ask about crime statistics for the area, but if this house seems like a great deal for the money, that would be a huge red flag to me.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
For anyone who knows Penn Hills well, the map shows the house is in the Black Ridge plan.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 16,456 times
Default Black Ridge Plan

What is the Black Ridge Plan?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenician View Post
What is the Black Ridge Plan?
I have no idea. It shows up on the google map. I assume it's the name of the housing development.

I figured the additional information might help someone from Penn Hills to know better where the house is located.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:28 AM

114 posts, read 344,038 times
OK, I am by no means an expert, so please only use what I say as another tool...I don't want to 'convince' you of anything, just give you the benefit of my impression. I transplanted to Plum Borough from NJ 4 years ago. My parents have lived in Penn Hills for 17 years, also NJ transplants. From what I gather, back near mid century, Penn Hills was the place to be, a 'pleasantville' so to speak. Since then it has S-L-O-W-L-Y changed. As I understand it, the Wilkinsburg 'end' of Penn Hills has become a bit of a war zone. Penn Hills has gotten a very bad rap lately, whether deserved or undeserved-but I will tell you this, that is not the sum total of the town. Some parts are really run down, others not so much. A block can make all the difference. Penn Hills is very much an urban fringe I guess. What is your tolerance? You see I am a Girl from the rural section at the top of NJ...so this was a moderate culture shock for me. Someone coming from a suburb, or urban fringe town will probably not bat a eyelash! I am not very comfortable in the atmosphere of Giant Eagle shopping plaza, but that is MY feeling...my Mom and Dad have no problem with it! Now the only problem is that I am not familiar with that area of Penn hills, I don't think that I have ever driven through there. Have you taken a map and driven around the area? It will give you the best impression. Go on over to the main shopping areas-ask yourself if you can see yourself there! If you have any questions feel free to PM me...I don't think I gave too much help, but I would be willing to answer any questions!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 AM

I've never driven around that specific area of Penn Hills either.

Since I have an open schedule tomorrow, I'll take a drive over there and check it out.

Also, my husband's aunt and friend's brother live on the other side of Penn Hills. I'll ask their opinions of the Black Ridge area.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,141,530 times
Sorry I can't help you out that much more than the other posters. Graham Blvd, which is about 1/2-mile west of the Laketon/Frankstown intersection, looks very nice, almost upscale, and I always figured that areas east of that (into Penn Hills and closer to what you're describing) had to be kinda nice as well, although I've never bothered to check that out. Once you go further west on Laketon however, you get into one of the "twilight zone" parts of Wilkinsburg: I'm not sure if there's that much crime going on there but there are _many_ eyesores.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM

69 posts, read 295,608 times
actually, Laketon Road starts in Wilkinsburg, but it ends in a fairly safe part of Penn Hills, the parts of Penn Hills to aviod is the parts that border rough Pittsburgh neighborhoods such as East Hills, Wilkinsburg,and Homewood. The farther down Frankstown Road you go away from Homewood, the safer you are. You and your small children should be fine around that area.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,613,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
You see I am a Girl from the rural section at the top of NJ...so this was a moderate culture shock for me. Someone coming from a suburb, or urban fringe town will probably not bat a eyelash! I am not very comfortable in the atmosphere of Giant Eagle shopping plaza, but that is MY feeling...my Mom and Dad have no problem with it!
Bravo! for your honesty Hemingway. I think that statement sums up, not all, but a significant part of the sentiment regarding Penn Hills. A lot of people are uncomfortable with the level of black/white integration in this and other areas in the Eastern Suburbs.

I should also mention that I, personally, don't consider this and similar attitudes to be overtly racist. This attutude stems from "fearing things that are different".....while it may not be rational, it's at least somewhat understandable and human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh