Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 06:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,022,030 times

Advertisements

Chicago definitely beats NYC and SF in both hot dogs and Mexican food, IMO. Probably anything Eastern Euro as well. But my favorite Thai place closed. I think it can hold its own against NYC/SF in Italian and steak/chop houses or in new American/gastro. But it does lose to both in Asian, and surrenders to NYC in African/Middle Eastern.

Just one opinionated guy's opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,547,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Chicago definitely beats NYC and SF in both hot dogs and Mexican food, IMO. Probably anything Eastern Euro as well. But my favorite Thai place closed. I think it can hold its own against NYC/SF in Italian and steak/chop houses or in new American/gastro. But it does lose to both in Asian, and surrenders to NYC in African/Middle Eastern.

Just one opinionated guy's opinion.
I would agree with this.

Back on topic, the last time I was in Pittsburgh I had Union Pig & Chicken for late lunch, and found it underwhelming. I hadn't been there in a while, and last time I went I remembered it being better. Going downhill or just a bad night for them?

Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,015,229 times
Quote:
The ratio of full-service restaurants to fast-food restaurants is 30% of the score
I'm sure the relative paucity of fast food restaurants within city limits contributes a lot to Pittsburgh's high ranking. Pittsburgh punches slightly above its weight as a food city, and its residents should be thankful for that, but it's silly to place much stock in lists like this.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'm sure the relative paucity of fast food restaurants within city limits contributes a lot to Pittsburgh's high ranking. Pittsburgh punches slightly above its weight as a food city, and its residents should be thankful for that, but it's silly to place much stock in lists like this.
wow, I didn't even notice that metric. Seems ridiculous. Who is to even say that the "full service" restaurants are even good? I'd rather eat at Chipotle than Olive Garden.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,953,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foryourlungsonly View Post
i'd rather eat at chipotle than olive garden.
+1,000,000

Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,309,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
wow, I didn't even notice that metric. Seems ridiculous. Who is to even say that the "full service" restaurants are even good? I'd rather eat at Chipotle than Olive Garden.
A lot of Pittsburghers love that Chipolte. Drove by the Baum store at half past 8, and the place was packed. Ditto for the McKnight store at 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon.

This Mexican grub is creating as much of a stir as when the colonel first opened up his chicken stores back in the 60's.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,913,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A lot of Pittsburghers love that Chipolte. Drove by the Baum store at half past 8, and the place was packed. Ditto for the McKnight store at 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon.
Lots of pittsburghers I talk to also think chipotle is 'healthy food' as well which it's not. (Note, I have nothing against the place & eat it myself from time to time, but it's still unhealthy fast food loaded in calories & sodium).

Old 06-25-2015, 05:05 PM

778 posts, read 844,739 times
It's totally possible to create a relatively healthy meal at Chipotle. Tacos with tofu sofritas, lettuce and salsa (heck, even a little cheese) is a totally normal amount of calories for a meal. Everything at Chipotle is a la cart and their website has a calorie counter, so if you're eating a 1000 calorie meal there, it's because you chose to eat a burrito bigger than your head and load it with sour cream and guacamole and cheese. Which I won't knock, because Lord knows I have done it (not recently--i count calories like it's my job now), but you can't really make a blanket statement that there's nothing reasonable to eat there. There is. Folks just make other choices.

/tangent

Old 06-26-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

This Mexican grub is creating as much of a stir as when the colonel first opened up his chicken stores back in the 60's.
Everyone in general, likes Chipotle. Not just Pittsburghers. The ones on Baum and Forbes get particularly busy.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,109,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Everyone in general, likes Chipotle. Not just Pittsburghers. The ones on Baum and Forbes get particularly busy.
I don't like Chipotle. I prefer Qdoba. And I seldom go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh