Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,981,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Do you have any recommendations? From what I understand DC is the place to go for it.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend any Ethopian restaurants in the area. Dukem in DC (and basically any Ethopian restaurant in the DC Metro area), and Addis Abbaba in Toronto are probably the best Ethopian within 5 hours of Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM

831 posts, read 880,698 times
Thanks, I'll look for them the next time I'm in either of those towns. I'm looking forward to trying something better than Abay, since I liked that so much.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:58 PM

373 posts, read 378,788 times
Abay and a place near DC are my only two experiences with Ethiopian and I preferred Abay slightly to be honest. Now, the place near DC may not have been up to par for the metro, so I'm not writing off the area. Just an observation

I do miss Abay terribly. I assume I'll eventually break down and try Tana.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:59 PM

373 posts, read 378,788 times
Also, finally made a reservation at Salt of the Earth the week before it closes. Hopefully it's not amazing or I'll be even more sad to see it go.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:50 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,166,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
Also, finally made a reservation at Salt of the Earth the week before it closes. Hopefully it's not amazing or I'll be even more sad to see it go.
I always wonder about going to a restaurateur right before they close. Will the kitchen be motivated to kick a$$ in their remaining days? Or will they just phone it in, deciding it isn't worth the effort?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:21 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I always wonder about going to a restaurateur right before they close. Will the kitchen be motivated to kick a$$ in their remaining days? Or will they just phone it in, deciding it isn't worth the effort?
You never know, but I'd trust a quality restaurant to go out in style.

As an example, many years ago in Sydney a signature 'bush foods' restaurant closed because the chef was moving away. We booked tables at the last weekend as they had a special degustation menu of their most popular dishes. Kangaroo, possum, weird sea birds, emu. It was wonderful stuff.

It was Friday night, and a classic Aussie cyclone-y event moved in and the streets were flooded. Umbrellas destroyed. We literally walked over cars to get across flooded streets and avoid thigh deep water. God knows how the staff got there. The traffic was carnage.

The dinner was wonderful. I still have the menu framed on my wall, it was that good.

The few times we went to Salt, it was great food. The staff were serious and dedicated, I'd bet they go out in style.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:25 AM

831 posts, read 880,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
Abay and a place near DC are my only two experiences with Ethiopian and I preferred Abay slightly to be honest. Now, the place near DC may not have been up to par for the metro, so I'm not writing off the area. Just an observation

I do miss Abay terribly. I assume I'll eventually break down and try Tana.
Sadly, I think you'll be disappointed. I've missed Abay so much I've tried Tana twice, hoping the first time was just a bad night, but it was pretty bad (at least to me and my girlfriend) both times.

Next step is try to find recipes and make it myself. I'm pretty sure Abay (and probably Tana) get their Injera from DC. I've looked a couple of times for a recipe for my favorite dish (Doro Minchet Abish), but can't find any...I find a lot that are similar ,but not for that specific dish.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
I was at Square Cafe for brunch over the weekend, and the waitress informed us that because of rising egg prices, there would be a $1 surcharge for any dish containing eggs. Has anyone seen that anywhere else? I guess it's the cost of doing business, but I inwardly rolled my eyes at my $10 omelette costing $11.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,098,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was at Square Cafe for brunch over the weekend, and the waitress informed us that because of rising egg prices, there would be a $1 surcharge for any dish containing eggs. Has anyone seen that anywhere else? I guess it's the cost of doing business, but I inwardly rolled my eyes at my $10 omelette costing $11.
Egg shortage comes to roost at the table | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,148,597 times
New spot taking over what was formerly Troy Hill neighborhood staple Billy's had their first "pop-up" menu tasting last week, which will be followed by a few more.

Menu is here: Menus & Events

My wife and I ate at the first "pop-up" last weekend and really enjoyed it. Reasonable prices for well-made, fresh food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh