Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 02:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,037,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
That thought did cross my mind. although it would be about the latest authentic Ramen place or Burmese, French Laundry is so 2010.
C'mon. TFL was passé the moment Per Se opened back in 2004.

No doubt California foodies have much to talk about. Although you'll still find plenty of In-N'-Out burgers vs the world convos, so they're not above fast food talk.

I personally don't get all the CfA love either. Better than some, but nothing outrageously outstanding for the price. Then again, I'm not a white meat fan. But I will say they have much better milkshakes than the other fast food chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 03:17 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,595,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
That thought did cross my mind. although it would be about the latest authentic Ramen place or Burmese, French Laundry is so 2010.
Hey, Pittsburgh has Burmese.
Vage & Meat

Not on that end of town much, haven't tried it.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:08 PM

423 posts, read 632,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
12?? I must still be in single figures then ;(

Another rap for Green Pepper in Sq Hill. The food is fantastic if you like Korean. The seafood pancake is quite divine. BYOB too.
Green Pepper is okay for people who want to try something different, but for people who want good Korean food it's pretty bad. Pittsburgh is weak when it comes to Korean food, as the best place around is Golden Pig in Cecil Township (near Bridgeville). Korea Garden, in Oakland, is about the best in the city, and that's kind of sad.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:24 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,256,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
Green Pepper is okay for people who want to try something different, but for people who want good Korean food it's pretty bad. Pittsburgh is weak when it comes to Korean food, as the best place around is Golden Pig in Cecil Township (near Bridgeville). Korea Garden, in Oakland, is about the best in the city, and that's kind of sad.
Never been to the Pig - would like to - but been to Korean Garden several times and Green Pepper is on par. Both seem pretty darn good Korean food to me. The seafood pancakes are excellent at both. And yes, I've been to Korea many times .... I've been to Green Pepper with Koreans who thought it was good ....and I don't just eat BBQ beef

What Korean dishes do you eat, ST? I'm a lover of the miso-based spicy seafood stews. And kim chee. Delicious.

Jiangbai braised fish ay How Lee last night was probably the hottest thing I've eaten in Pittsburgh. More evil than the evilest stuff I've had at Sichuan Gourmet. And absolutely delicious.

Last edited by gortonator; 05-17-2015 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Never been to the Pig - would like to - but been to Korean Garden several times and Green Pepper is on par. Both seem pretty darn good Korean food to me. The seafood pancakes are excellent at both. And yes, I've been to Korea many times .... I've been to Green Pepper with Koreans who thought it was good ....and I don't just eat BBQ beef

What Korean dishes do you eat, ST? I'm a lover of the miso-based spicy seafood stews. And kim chee. Delicious.

Jiangbai braised fish ay How Lee last night was probably the hottest thing I've eaten in Pittsburgh. More evil than the evilest stuff I've had at Sichuan Gourmet. And absolutely delicious.
Lots of good Chinese food to be had in Squirrel Hill.

My favorite Korean dish is bossam (not available at Green Pepper), which is steamed pork served with sides of rice, kimchi, and garlic, and a side of various lettuces with which you wrap all of it and eat. Favorite things available in Pittsburgh are the soups: kimchi jiggae and sundubu (tofu soup). My favorite soup is seolleongtang (beef bones and noodles), but at Green Pepper it's a little dull.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,116,104 times
Quote:
Lots of good Chinese food to be had in Squirrel Hill.

My favorite Korean dish is bossam (not available at Green Pepper), which is steamed pork served with sides of rice, kimchi, and garlic, and a side of various lettuces with which you wrap all of it and eat. Favorite things available in Pittsburgh are the soups: kimchi jiggae and sundubu (tofu soup). My favorite soup is seolleongtang (beef bones and noodles), but at Green Pepper it's a little dull.
Have you been to Nak Won Garden (on Centre, near the Market District)?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Have you been to Nak Won Garden (on Centre, near the Market District)?
Yep, forgot about that one! It's the real deal.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Yep, forgot about that one! It's the real deal.
Do they have Bo Ssam? The only menu I could find was a scanned, almost illegible one. I would like to try that sometime. Without having to go to Momofuku!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 AM

Owners opening second Yard restaurant Downtown | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I have to admit, I had never even heard of this place (the Shadyside location).

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 AM

540 posts, read 873,094 times
I've been to the Yard several times. The tap list is great and the service is good. When the food is prepared properly it is very good as well, but the kitchen has been inconsistent from visit to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh