Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 01:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its called sunscreen, water, and a brain. And we can exercise here, outdoors, 365 days a year practically. Try that in Chicago, bubba. And if you think Chicago isnt sprawling, too, I'd say you're nuts.
Exactly.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:11 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
I moved back to downtown Chicago after many years in AZ because I was tired of the endless sun, having to drive to get anywhere (sprawl), having to run only when the sun wasn't out, the brown everything, the cheap stucco boxes everywhere, 90+ weather from March until November, 100+ weather from April to October, 110+ weather from June to September, blowing dirt storms and 'monsoon' humidity from July to September (tho rarely substantial rains). I have to admit the first few years were a novelty but it wore. The attraction to AZ is it is relatively affordable for most anyone...until they get their first AC bill of summer after realizing they will have to spend a lot of time indoors. I just like seasons and water/beaches along with the amenities of a world class city.
Too many people move here believing they'll never miss their four seasons and/or their wondrous world class amenities back home. Too many people come here without having properly done their homework, and end up affecting their own lives.

On the other hand, there are and will always be great numbers of people who love living here in Arizona, because they did and will always do all of the things they need to in order to make life worth living for themselves.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:17 PM

371 posts, read 1,008,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Such a troll.... here we are on 4/29/16 and not a single day over 100.... having to drive everywhere here??? because you chose to live in the distant suburbs, you're own problem. Everything you complained about relative to AZ was your own problem.
I'm talking over the 19 years I lived there with those months in the past having had those temps show up. Well, I lived in Chandler, Tempe and mostly in Scottsdale and had to drive to get anywhere in any of those places. It was my problem (and plenty of others too I'm sure) and I was lucky enough to be able to leave.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Too many people move here believing they'll never miss their four seasons and/or their wondrous world class amenities back home. Too many people come here without having properly done their homework, and end up affecting their own lives.

On the other hand, there are and will always be great numbers of people who love living here in Arizona, because they did and will always do all of the things they need to in order to make life worth living for themselves.
I wasn't transient and gave it 19 years and AZ made me a lot of money but in the end the weather smote me.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post

This goes both ways too, I've had more multiple friends move away, claiming they miss the 4-seasons. Sure enough more than one of those friends has now made their way back to Arizona... People have a funny way of making the grass seem so much greener in other places. In all likelihood where you're at probably isn't all that bad. I tend to focus on the positives but a lot of people would rather complain instead.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
This goes both ways too, I've had more multiple friends move away, claiming they miss the 4-seasons. Sure enough more than one of those friends has now made their way back to Arizona... People have a funny way of making the grass seem so much greener in other places. In all likelihood where you're at probably isn't all that bad. I tend to focus on the positives but a lot of people would rather complain instead.
I will probably come back to AZ again too...but not Hot Dirtville...N. AZ is awesome! Had second home in Payson area for years and loved it.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I'm talking over the 19 years I lived there with those months in the past having had those temps show up. Well, I lived in Chandler, Tempe and mostly in Scottsdale and had to drive to get anywhere in any of those places. It was my problem (and plenty of others too I'm sure) and I was lucky enough to be able to leave.
You chose where you lived and then you get on here and complain about it like it's the cities fault, for what? If you didn't want to drive everywhere, live in downtown phoenix or downtown Scottsdale where you can walk to most things or take the light rail.

I'm talking over 100 years of weather history, you're greatly exaggerating the temperatures as well as it's impact on day to day life, unless of course you let it impact your life by choosing not to get up early for example to go running or make the best out of the 8-9 months of the year the weather is absolutely beautiful. Not to mention the fact that's it's beyond simple to escape the high temperatures even in the 4 months of hot by what would be considered a normal commute in Chicago, 2 hours north of Phoenix.

If you're going to live in Chicago, a tough-lough kind of town, you might as well get used to people not wanting to hear your bellyaching, especially about the weather... Because you are in for some brutal weather, weather that truly impacts day to day live. So suck it up....

Old 04-29-2016, 01:49 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
This is so funny as I'm sitting at work taking a break and enjoying city data forum for a few minutes. I work at a high school in Texas and several of the high school students helped at the elementary school today for outside play day. They just came back on their campus and are complaining that, "It was so hot." Really? It's 78 degrees and the heat here hasn't even begun yet. Grant it, it's quite humid and that makes it feel nasty and sweaty. Do they not remember how it feels when summer really begins? They're just too funny. Ha ha!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You chose where you lived and then you get on here and complain about it like it's the cities fault, for what? If you didn't want to drive everywhere, live in downtown phoenix or downtown Scottsdale where you can walk to most things or take the light rail.

I'm talking over 100 years of weather history, you're greatly exaggerating the temperatures as well as it's impact on day to day life, unless of course you let it impact your life by choosing not to get up early for example to go running or make the best out of the 8-9 months of the year the weather is absolutely beautiful. Not to mention the fact that's it's beyond simple to escape the high temperatures even in the 4 months of hot by what would be considered a normal commute in Chicago, 2 hours north of Phoenix.

If you're going to live in Chicago, a tough-lough kind of town, you might as well get used to people not wanting to hear your bellyaching, especially about the weather... Because you are in for some brutal weather, weather that truly impacts day to day live. So suck it up....
Dude, it wasn't anybody's fault...just what I observed and lived through...I wasn't stating averages...just saying very high likelihood of seeing those temps at some point in those months.

You may like the heat and say 8-9 months is beautiful but for me maybe half of November, Dec, Jan, Feb and half of March are my type of weather in Dirtville...so 4-5 months. To each their own but it benefits people seeing all thoughts on AZ rather than just yours, no?

I was born and raised in the Chicago area and I now live downtown...not in the burbs...I hate the burbs here too...I have no commute...the weather here doesn't bother me at all as winters are not near what they used to be...in fact I golfed at least once each month this winter and I prefer running in the winter months over any other really.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Dude, it wasn't anybody's fault...just what I observed and lived through...I wasn't stating averages...just saying very high likelihood of seeing those temps at some point in those months.

You may like the heat and say 8-9 months is beautiful but for me maybe half of November, Dec, Jan, Feb and half of March are my type of weather in Dirtville...so 4-5 months. To each their own but it benefits people seeing all thoughts on AZ rather than just yours, no?

I was born and raised in the Chicago area and I now live downtown...not in the burbs...I hate the burbs here too...I have no commute...the weather here doesn't bother me at all as winters are not near what they used to be...in fact I golfed at least once each month this winter and I prefer running in the winter months over any other really.

Sorry mate, my Chicago experiences have always been god awful. But to each their own. I would never live there and glad you got to live in a city that better suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area