Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 02:26 PM

277 posts, read 430,195 times

Advertisements

PS granted New River is about 8-12 degrees cooler than central PHX, 6-8 degrees cooler than N. Scottsdale, and that makes a big difference. Check the various areas just outside PHX, like Anthem and New River before you start trying to convince your wife. Lot of very nice areas here. I am 25-35 minutes from just about anywhere I want to go. Extreme far Gilbert or Mesa, just under an hour. Beats driving here from Sedona and Flagstaff like we used to do :-)

There are a lot of wonderful areas in AZ and NM but we ended up here because there is so much more of everything, most things are way cheaper, and it isn't that far to go outside of PHX is we want.

I grew up in MN and what I miss most is lots of COLD lakes in which to fish. But that LACK of snow, bugs, humidity, etc., more than make up for it. Enjoy it here! Hope you stay and your wife comes.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:33 PM

498 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Until Thursday that is. Today and tomorrow look crappy.

Today was fine, went for a long hike and did my 20 laps in the pool....

Old 11-04-2015, 12:26 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Not in the dead of winter. Some days you can get away with t-shirts, but shorts might be cutting it (unless youre a Canadian snowbird). Winter nights are definitely far too cold for t's and shorts, IMO.
It's a cold night to me when there's black ice forming on a nightly basis and you can't see the moon.
And I'm not really a fan of white-outs either, so what you call "cold", I call "normalcy".

Typically, I throw on my heavy, police jacket and still wear my shorts when it dips below fifty.
Don't really get any leg discomfort in cold weather as much as my torso area.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:18 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
Same reason why chicago is so cold(and might I add human a all get up in summer) and yet many people still live there. The same reason why miami is hot 3/4ths of the year or why dallas and Houston(spent summers there and they are
On par with PHX) are so hot in summer and ppl still live there.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:30 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,074 times
I try to never be negative but I will say this, for those that have outdoor jobs in the summer months this place is hell.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post

Today was fine, went for a long hike and did my 20 laps in the pool....
Yes, yesterday was better than forecasted. Today, however, is crap. Better?

And anyone who is doing laps in a pool in this weather is bonafide nuts.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:49 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
I try to never be negative but I will say this, for those that have outdoor jobs in the summer months this place is hell.
Agreed. When the landscaping crew shows up at my apartment complex at 0-dark-30 and wakes me up by firing up the leaf blowers and the associated implements of their trade, I remember how hot it'll be in just a few hours and I manage to resist the temptation to curse them and their parentage for waking me up.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
Tremendous lovely weather today. Nothing finer than a cloudy cool day in the desert with interesting light and shadows, the smell of petrichor and creosote bushes, and a fine drizzle/mist to moisten one's appreciation of the beauty of the day.

Some humans in the desert may not like the rain but for the flora and fauna who live here, it is a glorious day to be alive.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:33 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post

Same could be said of outdoor jobs in freezing temps.
Especially when a ladder gets slippery and a 15 food fall leads to a hypothermia episode.

The high plains and it's winters are an overrated place.
As far as cold places like Boston, Chicago, and Toronto are concerned, I'd take a shack and a pennies per hour job in a hot climate over the best paying one on those cities any day of the week.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:59 AM

498 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Yes, yesterday was better than forecasted. Today, however, is crap. Better?

And anyone who is doing laps in a pool in this weather is bonafide nuts.

LOL Water temp was in the 80s, warmer than any water I swam in all last summer.

Just got back from a 7 mile hike/jog....perfect weather for that type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area