Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,932 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Sacramento. I have a good job. My son is in a great nationally awarded elementary school.

I have a job offer for a good job in Phoenix. I will be able to afford to pay about 1500 a month in rent for a house. Are there good areas of Phoenix to move to? What are the good school districts?

I'd love to hear what the locals think!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 PM

203 posts, read 491,309 times
no, please stay away. thanks,

Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
no, please stay away. thanks,
Is there a reason you think I should stay away?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expressedwings View Post
I currently live in Sacramento. I have a good job. My son is in a great nationally awarded elementary school.

I have a job offer for a good job in Phoenix. I will be able to afford to pay about 1500 a month in rent for a house. Are there good areas of Phoenix to move to? What are the good school districts?

I'd love to hear what the locals think!!!
I am not going to be rude like the above poster, but the city has over 4 million people, so of course there are good areas.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:10 PM

36 posts, read 102,434 times
Phoenix is a horrible place to raise children. The crime is just getting worse and worse. We moved away because we refused to raise our children there. But if you are going to go, look into Gilbert, it is probably the best school district you will find for the Phoenix metro area. But I would stay in CA if your child is already in a great district. Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:10 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
I wouldn't suggest it. There is nothing interesting to do here. At least in Sac there are more things to do, not to mention you have real water up there.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:23 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I wouldn't suggest it. There is nothing interesting to do here. At least in Sac there are more things to do, not to mention you have real water up there.
Er... as opposed to fake water?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
I say visit first. Personally, I love Phoenix (and I have lived in CA before). There are plenty of great city's and neighborhoods. While Arizona is not known for great public schools, there are plenty of really good ones. Phoenix has a lower cost of living than Sacramento. You will not have a problem finding a good house in a good neighborhood with a good school with $1,500 a month to spend on rent. The hardest part may be deciding exactly where you want to live, since there are so many choices. The best advice is to look somewhere near where you will be working.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:04 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I say visit first. Personally, I love Phoenix (and I have lived in CA before). There are plenty of great city's and neighborhoods. While Arizona is not known for great public schools, there are plenty of really good ones. Phoenix has a lower cost of living than Sacramento. You will not have a problem finding a good house in a good neighborhood with a good school with $1,500 a month to spend on rent. The hardest part may be deciding exactly where you want to live, since there are so many choices. The best advice is to look somewhere near where you will be working.
I second your post there.

What would make it a tough call for me is from what I have heard; there are many worse places to live than Sac IMHO.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Are you moving for the job, for a change of scenery, something new to experience, more elbow room? If you move and you don't like it, it is hard to get back to California because of the cost differences. You end up having to move to Texas or somewhere awful like that because that is where comparable/lower living costs are. I think if I lived in Sacramento (and I really don't know the place well) I'd stay put especially if I liked my job and the kids were in a good school. PHX is just a poor man's LA. Would you move to LA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area