Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM

18 posts, read 50,581 times

Advertisements

I am hoping I can get some advice as our family just recently found out we are possibly moving to Phoenix in the next couple of months. We are moving from the midwest and neither my husband or myself have ever lived in a city over 100,000 people so we know this will be a big change from what we are used to.

I would love any comments or advice on great places to live in Chandler, Gilbert or Queen City: We are open to other areas but have family and friends in Chandler so would like to stay around that area.
Here's some of my hopes for in a community/home:

*good schools and safe community
*smaller feel to community or master planned community
*would really like neighborhoods with families in hopes to help the transition for my 2 kids who are 8 and 7 go a little smoother. They both have lots of friends in our current neighborhood and we love having kids their ages close by to play with.
* my son loves all sports and my daughter is very involved in dancing so I want to make sure there is a dance studio for her to join nearby.

My husbands job will take him all over the Phoenix area as he is in sales so commute really isn't a problem for where we live. We have read some good things about areas like Gilbert (Seville neighborhood) and really would like to find out more.

Thank you so much for any advice anyone can offer. My husband and I will be coming to Phoenix next week and I'm just not sure where to begin with finding a community/home for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 02:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Queen City? You must mean Queen Creek. I don't think you want to be out that far, even if he will be driving all over the Valley to work. QC is a relatively long drive from anywhere else in the Valley. He's going to be tired of driving all over in the kind of traffic he's never seen. Don't add to it by living out there.

There are a lot of threads about these cities already; you can do a search and find and read them.

You might want to consider renting first, to spend some time looking around and get a feel for where you might like to buy.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:39 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
I think "Queen City" might be in California...

I'm pretty sure I passed through there a few years ago...

They was havin' a parade or something

There were a bunch of guys in the street that reminded me of "The Village People" wearin' those "spanky-pants" with their goodies hanging out...

I wouldn't want to move my children there...

Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,347,527 times
Mom - you havent mentioned a couple of the most important things:

#1 - Are you looking to buy immediately or at all? Or will you be renting?

#2 - In either of the above cases what is your price range?

Answers will help us offer much better suggestions for you.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Sorry about messing up Queen Creek name. I meant Queen Creek not Queen City, oops!

We looking at purchasing within the next couple of months and will probably lean toward purchasing because we would like to move just one time as well as getting our kids started in a new school. I am a little worried about having them start school in the middle of the year and also trying to make new friends, therefore the reason why location is so important to us. We want to make sure they have kids in the neighborhood so they can hopefully have an easier time with moving, etc.

As far as price range we are looking around $300,000 to $375,000 or so. We really want a 4 bdrm. home with a pool.

Thanks again for any help!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,347,527 times
In that price range you ll have PLENTY to choose from - I ll let the people more up in the Phoenix Grid suggest communities - but as a rule the further from downtown you are willing to be the more house you can buy. But you ll be able to get plenty of nice house for that even in the closer in suburbs like Gilbert and Chandler that you mentioned.

BUT, even though you ll be living officially in a "smaller city" like if you choose one of those cities, in reality you are just part of one big megapolis as the cities all run together, so it will be different than what you are used to now.

IF you husband really is willing to drive all over from whereever, then you actually might want to consider QC or even down here in Casa Grande. First, you will get more house - lots of house for 300-375K down here!! Also, there will be "seperation" between you and the "big city" that you wont get from Gilbert or Chandler.

For example Casa Grande is 35 mins to Chandler, but there is 20 miles of undeveloped Indian Reservation land between us and them - then our city is only 50K in the summer and bumps to 70K when the winter visitors come in. So you get a "smaller city", seperated from the big place, but still close enough to get to the big place when needed.

Again it would mean 35-45 mins for your husband to drive to get to any part of the Phoenix grid - so it is a matter of choices and lifestyle.

But, if you decide to stay in closer, you ll be able to find a fine place in that price range right now.

Welcome!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
To stay closer to the center of town, I would check out the master planned community of Ocotillo in Chandler,as well as the surrounding subdivisions. If you don't mind being a little further away in a newer home, check out Layton Lakes and Old Stone Ranch. One of the reasons I love Chandler is because the youth sports are top notch. And there's about five different gymnastic and dance studios within two miles of my house, so that won't be a problem.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 14,647 times
Ocotillo is a very nice area for Chandler, my boss lives there and loves it minus the price. You bang for the buck does not go as far because of the area but for your price range you would still get what you are looking for. Also if you want new build check out Fulton Ranch. I am personally considering Seville and it seems like a great community and the country club amenities are very very nice but only if you will use them. It is however out there a little way but it does add to the drive time. Left downtown today and it was about 45 minutes to get there in early rush hour. Drive time is all relative though, some people don't mind a long drive where others can not even stand a normal 30 minute commute. Driving does not bother me personally but I am also in a company vehicle. Also Seville is Chandler schools even though it is Gilbert.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 PM

Thanks again for all the replies. We have narrowed our search down to Chandler and Gilbert areas and really like the looks of the Seville area as it seems like it is a little community with schools close by. We are also looking at Power Ranch and Shamrock Estates as they also look like newer homes with possibly more of a family friendly area.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for family friendly/safe/good schools master planned communities?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 14,647 times
Power Ranch is Higley schools and are not as highly rated at Gilbert and Chandler. I have heard mixed reviews of the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area