Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
If I were you, I would stay in CA. I'm a Phoenix native and have lived east of downtown all my life except for 8 glorious years in SoCal. The ways it has changed here over the last 20-30 years is crazy. It used to be a nice place, but the traffic is horrible and the more people move here, I swear it gets hotter. Schooling sucks except at a few charter schools sprinkled here and there or the private schools. The heat is almost sickening, but housing is cheap. Someone said the wisest words to me once, they said the only reason to move here is if you make 250k+ a year. I also say that people only come here to die. Sorry to be a downer, but this place jumped the shark 15 years ago.
Jumped the shark? As in killed the competition??? Not following? You lived in SoCal and think the traffic, schools, etc suck here? I'm confused; do you have to make 250k a year in Phoenix or SoCal? If you made that much in Phoenix you'd be set; hell you'd be set in San Fran or NYC as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,794 times
"Jumped the shark" has to do with a Happy Days episode where The Fonz literally jumped a shark on water skis. The phrase means the exact point something reached it's peak. Or, the biginning of the end. Or, the point where it is clear that there are no more good ideas.
In my opinion, Phoenix has not jumped the shark.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"Jumped the shark" has to do with a Happy Days episode where The Fonz literally jumped a shark on water skis. The phrase means the exact point something reached it's peak. Or, the biginning of the end. Or, the point where it is clear that there are no more good ideas.
Happy Days...the Fonz??? Oh ok, I've heard of these skits from folk stories by elders, LOL! I kid...I've never seen an episode. I've NEVER heard that expression; doesn't make sense in modern terms. Sounds like someone is kicking a... Now, I've heard "jumped the ship" or "jumped ship."

I also agree with your last sentence. But I'm confused if he means SoCal or Phoenix for "jumping the shark" unless you make $250,000 a year...that would be a nice paycheck in any city in the world.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Happy Days...the Fonz??? Oh ok, I've heard of these skits from folk stories by elders, LOL! I kid...I've never seen an episode. I've NEVER heard that expression; doesn't make sense in modern terms. Sounds like someone is kicking a... Now, I've heard "jumped the ship" or "jumped ship."

I also agree with your last sentence. But I'm confused if he means SoCal or Phoenix for "jumping the shark" unless you make $250,000 a year...that would be a nice paycheck in any city in the world.
It's actually quite a common phrase. Not for cities or anything, but for TV shows (like shows that run season after season after season to the point of where they're not interesting anymore).

Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
If that is the definition, then Phoenix jumped the shark the day after I moved here back in the 70s. It's been downhill ever since then as far as I am concerned.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
It's actually quite a common phrase. Not for cities or anything, but for TV shows (like shows that run season after season after season to the point of where they're not interesting anymore).
HUH? What tv shows are you referring to? I've never heard this before. Ok, so is jumping the shark like committing suicide? In that case I've heard "beating a dead horse." LOL! Either way its a weird use of the term in this discussion. Not sure it applies. Eh, it isn't that important.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If that is the definition, then IMO Phoenix jumped the shark the day after I moved here back in the 70s. It's been downhill ever since then.
How so? I'm interested in your perspective. I think it is much better and great. Especially compared to cities where I've lived or the prejudice that existed here before the 60's and 70's that my older relatives lived with. I for one am glad to not have to but up with that.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
How so? I'm interested in your perspective. I think it is much better and great. Especially compared to cities where I've lived or the prejudice that existed here before the 60's and 70's that my older relatives lived with. I for one am glad to not have to but up with that.
It's a personal thing I guess. To me Phoenix just replicated without ever getting any better. It just spread like an oil spill. The schools got worse, the parks more crowded, the air more brown. Everything got crowded and congested and at the end of the day, the quality of life here is worse. Is QOL better than many, if not most, other cities, sure. But you are comparing big city to big city and I am comparing "cow town" to big city. I liked cow town a whole lot more..

Old 09-11-2009, 03:57 PM

"Phoenix jumped the shark the day after I moved here back in the 70s. It's been downhill ever since...."

That's not something I would bring up too often....

Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 PM

"Ok, so is jumping the shark like committing suicide?"

No, when The Fonz jumped the shark it was a cheesy moment on the t.v. show. From this point forward, the show's ratings were in a steady decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area